IT.COM

.post and .travel get ICANN approval

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Two new Internet domain names - ".post" and ".travel" - could appear online as early as next year as the Internet's key oversight board announced preliminary approval on Wednesday.

The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, in advancing the applications for postal services and the travel industry, said they were still considering eight other proposals including ".asia," ".jobs," and ".xxx." Separately, ".eu" for the European Union also is in the works.

source: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/aptech_story.asp?category=1700&slug=New%20Internet%20Domains

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Will new.net domains be affected. As in even they gave .travel .. So I guess i will loose that stupid 1 domain i registered now.

•••
Someone correct me if im wrong here but after reading the new.net TOS it states that (if any of their domains extensions) are accredited by ICANN in future their customers would retain first right of refusal to the domains they already own as long as they are in good standing. Now that is New.Nets stand on the situation but I would want to see what ICANN has to say about it, mind you it only stands to reason that something would have to be worked out....

•••
AdsenseGuy said:
Someone correct me if im wrong here but after reading the new.net TOS it states that (if any of their domains extensions) are accredited by ICANN in future their customers would retain first right of refusal to the domains they already own as long as they are in good standing. Now that is New.Nets stand on the situation but I would want to see what ICANN has to say about it, mind you it only stands to reason that something would have to be worked out....

I seriously doubt that will or could happen unless they create a contract with the registry operator. Also, since it's a sponsored domain, the new.net owner would have to be or become a member of the sponosoring organization. This could have been done by new.net behind the scenes in exchange for deleting their .travel registry to avoid redirection problems by the new registry. I think ICANN would leave it up to the new registry operator since they would have suprior rights to new.net for use of the TLD in the real root.

•••
I have India.travel If they work out some argeement I think it will be worth something atleast.. as such its value is 0$..

•••
I doubt the .travel registrar would give such "premium" domains to new.net clients first! I am sorry to say that all those new.net ".travel" are worthless as well as the other ones they continue to offer!

•••
http://www.new.net/news_release_0306.tp

The leaders of two companies promoting the use of dot-travel suffixes in Internet addresses -- Tralliance and New.net-- met last week and both of them described the session as productive.

Tralliance hopes to win approval from the Internet Corp. for Assigned Names and Numbers to start a dot-travel registry; if it succeeds, travel companies could start signing up early next year to use dot-travel in the manner that other sites use dot-com.

New.net, on the other hand, has already sold thousands of registrations for dot- travel addresses. Absent Icann's sanction, those sites are accessible only by Internet users -- about 25%, by New.net's count -- who downloaded New.net software or have an Internet service provider that is partnering with the company.

Tralliance president Ron Andruff, meanwhile, emphasized that his company is not taking potential Icann approval for granted or as a foregone conclusion.

But Andruff said the meeting ended with an understanding that, "when or if" Tralliance receives Icann approval, the two companies will "find a way to make sure bona-fide travel and tourism representatives, including those that have a New.net name, will find a home within the Icann-accredited dot-travel."

New.net president Dan Sheehy told TMD "it was helpful for the two of us to exchange ideas and better explore how things might be coordinated going forward."

•••
How much do those domains cost at new.net. I couldn't find a price thing anywhere.

•••
Qwert said:
How much do those domains cost at new.net. I couldn't find a price thing anywhere.

I guess they're still in debate about them so no general price yet.

•••
If ICANN awards .travel domains to those who have registered the new.net domains, could it set a precedent? Might some of the big IT companies set up their own non ICANN accredited extensions, hoping to corner the market on all possible future extensions?

•••
andersdb said:
If ICANN awards .travel domains to those who have registered the new.net domains, could it set a precedent? Might some of the big IT companies set up their own non ICANN accredited extensions, hoping to corner the market on all possible future extensions?

imo the new.net .travel owners will get the same shot as any one of us, I dont see Icann working with new.net anytime in the near future

•••
optimist said:
http://www.new.net/news_release_0306.tp
But Andruff said the meeting ended with an understanding that, "when or if" Tralliance receives Icann approval, the two companies will "find a way to make sure bona-fide travel and tourism representatives, including those that have a New.net name, will find a home within the Icann-accredited dot-travel."

I think the key word being "bona-fide". If you have a .travel new.net domain and don't have a significant and active site with proof, I'd bet you don't stand a chance.

•••
like I said there was/is ongoing discussions that may include current owners being granted first right of refusal. If this is not the case imagine the lawsuits both at new.net and ICANN

•••
If these extensions get approved, we no longer need the plug-ins to visit sites like canadian.travel right?

•••
AdoptableDomains said:
I think the key word being "bona-fide". If you have a .travel new.net domain and don't have a significant and active site with proof, I'd bet you don't stand a chance.

Agreed.

While the news.net news release is somewhat informative,it is also very dated...August 18, 2003.

Much has taken place....talk is one thing, but there isn't any new info in regards to a new.net/Trilliance partnership of any kind.

IMO I'm afraid current .travel registrants will be left empty handed.

•••
During the .info and biz landrush, there was some sort of bidding for the top keywords. I don't see why the .travel registry would give up this initial revenue boost just to accomodate current .travel registrants. What for? The ones taken in travel.new.net are almost guaranteed to be taken anyway. As for threat of suit, I doubt such a suit will prosper, because if allowed then it will open the floodgates for copycat alternate registries to invent and run all the possible extensions they can dream of. Its just too absurd to contemplate, IMHO.

•••
Sorry if I'm the first one you hear saying this, but this situation is what I've been warning about ever since new.net started selling and marketing (fake) domain names without ICANN approval. The owner of a new.net name like India.travel, for instance, has no rights to the upcoming actual .travel counterpart, since what new.net sold you is actually a subdomain, ie- india.travel.new.net, which is cloaked via a plugin as india.travel.

There's a reason the Internet is based on an assigned names and numbers system and that reason goes straight to the overall stability of the Internet.

•••
I think there would be some incentive for both parties to strike a deal. Here's my speculation on how it might work.

Tralliance would like new.net to take .travel out of their plugin so their users don't potentially lose some percentage of expected visitors (10-25% maybe), and avoid the expense of having to sue new.net to get this done.

New.net has a stake in protecting the people they sold to to keep from being sued themselves, and could adversely effect the new legitimate domain.

Tralliance might offer bona-fide (licensed travel agents) new.net .travel owners with an active new.net travel site a right to get the real domain if they both join the industry alliance, have a ligitimate travel business, don't infringe on another potential travel company use with superior rights, and have no complaintants that this comany sholdn't get it. Current user and tralliance both win in this situation. non-legitimate users would be left in the cold. New.net could win by being allowed to be a legitimate registrar for the new domain, avoid lawsuits, or be paid cash or a portion of reg fees to drop .travel from their plugin and ISP setups.

I do think anyone who thinks they might go register a .travel domain now and have it deemed legitimate are probably dreaming. I would guess some cutoff date would be implemented to stop a new.net land rush. However, if anyone want to gamble, I think registerfly.com has the lowest new.net prices.

•••
Tralliance would like new.net to take .travel out of their plugin so their users don't potentially lose some percentage of expected visitors (10-25% maybe)

Where did you get the 10-25% estimated lost traffic? Last we talked about new.net, it seemed that much less than 1% of all internet surfers have the plugin to access new.net domains, and the large bulk of these were folks who were tricked into it by installing some other software like kazaa that had the hidden effect of installing the new.net plugin.

Part of applying for ICANN accreditation is a plan for the sunrise and landrush period, and any hint of cooperation with a rogue (alright ... alternative) root like new.net might actually endanger the application.

•••
AdoptableDomains said:
I think there would be some incentive for both parties to strike a deal.

Disagree. Trilliance would gain absolutely nothing except more overhead costs.
.travel is meant for legitimate travel industry firms. I would imagine Trilliance wouldn't have even got this far in the accredidation process if ICANN percieved any type of new.net entanglement.

As for a new.net landrush gamble on .travel domains?????? My 2 cents for domainers.....
DON"T REGISTER ANY...UNLESS WASTING YOUR HARD EARNED DOLLARS IS A FAVORITE PASTIME ACTIVITY!

Don't believe the hype.....that's all new.net have ever been....a glorified subdomain seller.

•••
.travel? .post?

I don't think these extensions are going to be that popular..

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back