IT.COM

Porkbun.com just had a serious bug

NameSilo
Watch

cm13

Established Member
Impact
Hello,

about 40 minutes ago i visited Porkbun and was afraid to see that most domains have a FREE tag, so i put some in my cart, they were also free when i put them on 10 years, i did not really thought long and tried to snap as many as possible. so i ended up getting about 35 domains, some about 10 years and some extensions were not been able to set to 10 years after about 10 minutes, then porkbun got slow, the processing of the orders was mostly impossible, after that my login on new private window was not possible and now i only get a 502 - gateway error, porkbun is now completly vanished, tried about 4 different VPN IP adresses and stopped better now.

I really thought this maybe could be a christmas present for the first lucky ones, but now i think a bit different, but it really was delighting event, thanks porks =))

BUT, what now?

IF it was a bug or maybe a hack, will they be able to make the registrations revertable and could i get in trouble??

best wishes,
cm

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There may have been an error involved, indeed. I got a .io for $0.00 but sent a note to Porkbun support regarding this. If it was an error I'm willing to pay the full price because I want that name to remain mine.

Now the site is up again and all prices seem to be in the normal range.

•••
Well, i am not willing to pay anything and i can't...

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
i just tried. no bug anymore i guess. all prices right.

Thank you all for reporting it instead of exploiting it af :tightlyclosedeyes:

•••
they now just said it was a bug and canceled all the domains, i seem this is against some big ICANN rules, i am not fine with it

•••
From experience, pork is an excellent registrar. Try to contact them and ask them what is going on.

•••
Time for the "great purge" :ROFL:
If it wasn't intended, and that volume was not too high (depending on their registration tiers with the different registries), they will be able to delete the registrations, or some of them (within the add period)

•••
but i want to keep 2 or 3 as a christmas present for all the thrilling trouble :nailbiting:, i almost could not get some sleep, i am a bit sad about the whole deleting, that's not fair, i was in a candy store and now all my candy was stolen!!!!

you can see how delicious it looked like in the screenshots

Attachments

• electric.png
    electric.png
    126 KB · Views: 207
  • electric2.png
    electric2.png
    109.5 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
•••
Your moaning about about trying to take advantage of a glitch in their system so you could get free domains?

What a joke, if you can't or are not willing to pay to for them in the first place don't come running here to moan about being caught trying to defraud them......

Also they have this covered in their T&C's

"You agree that Porkbun may suspend, cancel, or transfer Your registration of a domain name in order (i) to correct mistakes made by Us, another registrar, or the registry in registering Your chosen domain name, or (ii) to resolve a dispute under Our dispute resolution policy."

You could of made some money potentially by reporting the bug - https://porkbun.com/products/bug_bounty

•••
Free premium registrations doesn't look good. I see a bulk delete there, it has an impact on their finances.
You abused of their glitch..
They probably will get in touch at some point, within the 5 days add-period to see if you can pay for these.
Domains are not free at no one's expense, and Porkbun offering it is not a possiblity

•••
The porkbun has similar lags from time to time. For example a few months ago I put .biz domain in my cart for $ -0.29. Probably, if I bought it, then they would put 29 cents on my account, but I have not tried it.
upload_2020-12-24_15-10-58.png

•••
don't take me too serious, i was extremely tired yesterday, it was 3 am midnight here in europe and it all just felt like a trip, i was not aware of that bug bounty program, i really thought this is a christmas event for a few minutes, who knows, this registrar is somehow a bit crazy :woot:

•••
'Twas definitely a bug. Ran for about an hour before we caught it. The number of domains and domain durations registered during the period was far too high for our little company to absorb so we did have to purge all the free domains. We did allow a few folks who brought it to our attention to keep their free domains though :) And ya, I caused the bug. My first error since '02 unfortunately, completely erasing my streak of absolute perfection.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back