NameSilo

Please solve a little mystery for me.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi!

I asked a question here some days ago about free web hosting, when in fact I was only made aware yesterday that I could avail of a 5MB size limit with my present Internet carrier...Duh!>:( Anyway that's one half of the battle over. Now I'm stuck for an answer to this part. I've uploaded my files on to the server with my ftp program (WS_LE). And lo and behold, I can't see nothing but a white page with stuff like 'Parent Directory' and some folders below it. Is there some HTML I need to insert to bypass this doorway to my home page? Thank you again for all your help and support. :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hello,

It sounds like you need to create an index file:

Try creating a file named index.html and then uploading it to your site and see if that gets your page showing up.

If you're not familiar with HTML and need some code to put in your index.html file:

Code:
<html>
<head>
<title>My Index Page</title>
</head>
<body>

<h1 align="center">This is my home page</h1>

</body>
</html>

•••
Thanks for getting back to me

Hi!

Yes I uploaded my index.html file to the root folder. Still no joy. If you had a moment, could you have a look at the link for me? When I use the default link I'm taken to the 'Index of/blah blah, where it shows the Parent Directory and sub-folders. Now I can access the home page by typing in the search engine http://.../blah/index.html.html. A long way around it yes. But a turn off for any of my friends asking me what the address is :-/

Thanks again. :)

•••
oops! ignore the blah blah link. I only used it to illustrate folks. Sorry. :rolleyes:

•••
Hello,

Sure I'll take a look, if you can provide me with the link. :) You can send it in a private message to me if you don't want to post it here.

Also, I noticed in your example you have .html.html, make sure your index file ends with only one .html extension.

•••
Yeah. Somtimes FTP clients and servers can get confused. I just ran into this the other day. What I did was name a gif file I had something like name.gif. Well when I uploaded it to my FTP it said name.gif.gif because it already knew it was a gif. So if you named the html file index.html and it already knows it an html remove one or all of the .htmls from the name and see what happens.

•••
Thank you Alpha. I got it sorted out. And yes, it was the double.html extension so rightly pointed out to me. :)

•••
Was it due to the ftp program naming the file for you? That is annoying - I think that kind of feature should be left out in future - windows 2000 makes it difficult to mess with extensions as well.

•••
It's sorted

Thanks Jim for pitching in here, but I got it sorted out a long while ago thanks to deadserious and alpha, It was a case of the double .html extension and to the initial directory path that I had pointed to incorrectly. All is well as can be now. Thanks again. :)

•••
No problem ... should have realized by the 3 months of non posting.

Observation skills are poor:rolleyes:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back