Domain Empire

Please Give Donations to the Victims of Haiti

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Text "Yele" to "501501" to donate $5

Please Text "Yele" to "501501" to donate $5 to the victims and families who need your support greatly after the 2010 Earthquake in Haiti.

The $5 will be charged to your next cell phone bill. We all spend $5 on crap every day, it's the least we can do for people who REALLY need this money. http://www.yele.org

CNN said:
Port-au-Prince, Haiti (CNN) -- Haiti's capital awoke to increasing desperation Thursday morning, a day and a half after a devastating earthquake, with covered bodies piling up along streets and modern aspects of life, such as electricity, mostly missing.

The streets of Port-au-Prince resembled grainy black-and-white newsreels from World War II that showed the rubble of bombed-out houses in Berlin and London. The devastation was wide and often horrific.

A one-hour drive from the airport to a walled-in hotel where the CNN contingent is staying revealed the widespread destruction from Tuesday's 7.0-magnitude earthquake.

Flattened and severely damaged houses were found on every block, and the streets were choked with pedestrians and residents. They set up overnight camps and slept by the thousands in dark and crowded parks and on sidewalks, for fear of being inside if another powerful quake hit.

Text "Yele" to "501501" to donate $5

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

Turn on the TV to any major news channel, this is Wyclef Jean's charity. Verify it's legitimacy here: Impact Your World - Special Reports from CNN.com ~ it's on the list...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
It's highly likely most of the money will never reach the victims regardless of the charity one gives to due to rampant corruption in Haiti.

Heck, even the U.N. facility wasn't immune to the realities of Haiti - it fell straight to the ground, killing many U.N. administrators and workers, due to lack of building standards, since Haiti reportedly doesn't have any.

Look at the history of all the aid that has gone to Africa over the numerous decades - very little of it ever reaches those in true need.

What amazes me is how so many people will give to causes far away, but not those close to home.

But according to some I've spoken with, I shouldn't be surprised. Often the reason is that many people are seeking a quick fix to feel good - giving a donation to some far flung cause allows one to feel good while not having to get too emotionally / physically involved with actually addressing the problem; out of sight, out of mind.

Digressed somewhat, but point is that regardless of what charity one gives to, a lot will never reach the intended victims in Haiti due to the rampant corruption there.

With that said, if one wants to donate in light of the corruption, etc, more power to them - perhaps, at least, a small fraction of their donation will get through to those in true need.

Ron

•••
It must really suck to live such a miserable, close minded life...

So obviously, ignoring the devastation is better than donating a little bit of your money to people in need... I got you... oh and if you donate to charities outside of america, that means you don't donate to charities to people IN america...

I donated to five different charities after learning about more of them, not just the one listed. The money will help in one way or another. I for one, cannot fly, due to medical reasons, so I can't go over there personally, or else I definitely would with the several friends and family who left earlier today.

I just love the people who are too cheap to donate or actually are just too self absorbed that they make stupid comments in such a thread.

•••
It's highly likely most of the money will never reach the victims regardless of the charity one gives to due to rampant corruption in Haiti.
It is truth because there are a lot of chains of them over there.

•••
You're clearly the close minded person if you can't realise what he's saying is somewhat true.

His message is clear, he'd rather send his hard earned money to somewhere close to home where he knows that it'll be used properly and that not every greedy corp/government/corrupt asshole will get a slice of that pie.

Everywhere in the world is screwed in a way of its own, he may not agree with donating to Haiti but atleast he's doing his part.

•••
What amazes me is how so many people will give to causes far away, but not those close to home.

But according to some I've spoken with, I shouldn't be surprised. Often the reason is that many people are seeking a quick fix to feel good - giving a donation to some far flung cause allows one to feel good while not having to get too emotionally / physically involved with actually addressing the problem; out of sight, out of mind.

Are you assuming that people who give to a cause like this DON'T also donate to causes "close to home"? Many of us do. And for that matter, there's no guarantee that the majority of the money given to domestic charities will make it's way to the intended causes/recipients either..

I know several people who went down to Haiti (or are expecting to go - don't know if all of them have gotten there yet) with their SAR and cadaver dogs*. A lot of them also worked 9/11 and they routinely participate in local searches for missing persons - kids, seniors, crime victims ... No silly man-made borders - they help people when and where there's a need. If you want to give money to a worthwhile cause that helps both locally and (in most cases) globally, find the name of your nearest volunteer Search and Rescue group (if you can't find it with Google, try calling your local police dept.). No fat board of director salaries in these types of gorups - donations go towards education, training, and preparation for search and rescue operations.

*human and dog teams who have been specially trained for search-and-rescue of the living and locating remains of the deceased.

Last edited:
•••
You're clearly the close minded person if you can't realise what he's saying is somewhat true.

His message is clear, he'd rather send his hard earned money to somewhere close to home where he knows that it'll be used properly and that not every greedy corp/government/corrupt asshole will get a slice of that pie.

Everywhere in the world is screwed in a way of its own, he may not agree with donating to Haiti but atleast he's doing his part.

Re-read his post, acknowledge it, get back to me.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back