Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Karltonjenkins23

Established Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The most important thing in domains you need to note is that any domain owner can ask for any price .. even if it's completely ridiculously absurd. The value of a domain is WHAT IT SALES FOR ... not the asking price! ;)

$150k for a name like that is at least 1000 times too much.
(BTW .. It is not an auction as you mentioned above .. it is simply an asking price .. nobody has made a "bid" for it)

Plus if it's actually someone's name, unless it's a very popular name, then that is essentially "cybersquatting" .. pretty much the equivalent of trademark infringement ... UNLESS the seller has the same name and can justify needing the domain.

There are a few other exceptions where I believe a full name should be public domain in terms of domaining .. but that's more for public figures like presidents or historic figures, etc.

Another possible scenario for a huge price tag for a domain like that is if it's a random made up name with an existing business running on it (think Wendy's, or McDonald's, etc etc) .. but in those cases the domain has very little value, and the justification for the large price is the value of the actual underlying business.

I personally think that anyone who goes after full names of individuals other than what I mentioned above is in for a very bad 2017 .. and probably a few useless legal battles as well that they will very likely (and deservedly) lose.

Last edited:
•••
Legal issues will arise only if the domain name is pitched to the owner of the name. Other than that it just sits

•••
Legal issues will arise only if the domain name is pitched to the owner of the name. Other than that it just sits

Not entirely true ... holding on to a random name could be interpreted as "bad faith". UDRP's are not 100% predictable (unfortunately either way .. lol).

More importantly .. In this case .. the *ONLY* value in the domain is the association with the real world person (who I just googled .. lol). So the current owner would never make money from the site. If they ran any ads having to do with the person's business (pretty wide ranging it seems) then there is a huge risk of a UDRP decision against the owner ... and possibly even a reverse TM fine.

People who hold on to domains like this asking ridiculous sums are EXACTLY why domainers get a bad reputation from the general public! :(

•••
It's a case by case scenario and I'll let the domain world know what happens. Thanks for the insight

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back