Dynadot

Password Management

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi,
I'm a domainer and I have about 200 passwords. I wanted to share how I manage my passwords and why you should do it:

I have a box on my desk which holds index cards. These are 5x3 inc cards (12.7cm by 7.6 cm). It looks like this:
Ryman Index Box 126x76mm with Inserts: Amazon.co.uk: Office Products

There are alphabetical card dividers. This makes it easy to find what I'm looking for. In the past I used to have a small notebook. The problem with a notebook is that, you can not find records easily. Also when you want to change the record (like email address or password) with the index card, you can just replace the card with a new card if the records get crowded. With a notebook, it gets too messy.

The cards themselves are cheap and they are sold separately. Therefore you will never run out cards. If you are in the UK you can buy the set above. A pack of 100 blank cards can be bough for 50p if you search around.

If you are in the US, have a look at these:
3"x5" box: $2.5 or $1.78
Amazon.com: Plastic Index Card File Box, 300 3"x5" Card Capacity, Black ESS01351: Office Products
Amazon.com: Snap 'n' Store Collapsable Index Card Storage Box, 1000 3"x5" Card Capacity, Bla IDESNS01573: Office…

tabs: $1.36
Amazon.com: A-Z Index Cards, 1/5 Cut Tab, 3"x5", Assorted ESS73153: Office Products

500 cards: $2.26
Amazon.com: UNIVERSAL OFFICE PRODUCTS Ruled Index Cards, 3 x 5…

The reason why this is a good idea is because, you should never use the same password in two different places. This is just asking for trouble. I know that many people have simple passwords for things like forums and they use the same password in all forums. This is very wrong. Don't do that.

So, there you go. Password management is sorted.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There are computer programs that will do this for you, like keychain on the mac. Store all your passwords in the program, which encrypts your passwords. Simply remember one password for the program and have access to all your passwords.

Another solution is to use a template password. Make up a secure base password (we'll use Q!89z*+= don't use this one). Then add NP for NamePros, DNF for domainnameforum, GD for GoDaddy, etc. Then we end up with: Q!89z*+NP=, Q!89z*+DNF=, Q!89z*+GD=

2 additional (and IMHO more elegant) solutions to the password problem.

•••
This is a pretty neat idea, im keeping most of mine in a notebook atm, but I know from experience if someone wants to get you they will. Gona buy a card box though I like it :D

•••
Writing password down is never really a good idea imho. You could lose them for 1 and be in a mess or worse someone could copy or steal them

The method lothos suggests is a better solution but can be problematic as well (what if your pc crashes and you lose all your data? what if the file gets corrupted? etc) So ensure you make backups regularly.

You also should take into consideration what will happen if the worst happens and you are in an accident and lose your life. Anything that might be beneficial to someone else. Have a way that relatives or a next of kin can retrieve any data to take control of your assets.

•••
The method lothos suggests is a better solution but can be problematic as well (what if your pc crashes and you lose all your data? what if the file gets corrupted? etc) So ensure you make backups regularly.

That's what backups are for. You guys back up your computers, right?

The template system only requires one password to be memorized. And you can feel free to modify the template as needed. Was just a simple example.

•••
Writing password down is never really a good idea imho. You could lose them for 1 and be in a mess or worse someone could copy or steal them

You also should take into consideration what will happen if the worst happens and you are in an accident and lose your life. Anything that might be beneficial to someone else. Have a way that relatives or a next of kin can retrieve any data to take control of your assets.

Depending on your situation writing them down can be fine or a bad idea, also everything which is virtual can be stolen by anyone with the skills, but they cant steal a piece of paper unless they come to you :P

•••
written segment in conjunction with a memorized base should be fairly secure. the base can be additionally written in a secure location - such as a trusted attorney's safe - in case of incapacity.

•••
Won't that be a bit predictable? Suppose say someone found out your NP password and it has NP in it, wouldn't he try to put DP or DNF in it too?

•••
I'm using this method for years now and never had a problem. I have recently opened a website. Before that I didn't know how website passwords work.
Let me tell you something. Any website owner that you have an account with can see your password as normal text. So it is really very unsecure to use the same password anywhere. Most of the time it is not only the website owner.

-----------
Hey enom wannabee, you are lurking around here? There is this guy who uses enom as his username.
Change your username dude. Nobody is going to respect you here with an impersonating username.

You can change your username here:
http://www.namepros.com/npshop.php

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 PM ----------

If you are using the same email and password at,

dodgy-forum.com,
dodgy-host.com,
dodgy-registrar.com,

and at other places like godaddy as well, then don't go crying when your account is hacked. According statistics %66 of internet users use the same password on many places.

Just get one of these boxes. It works better than digital solutions:
Ryman Index Box 126x76mm with Inserts: Amazon.co.uk: Office Products

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back