Domain Empire

Parking v. SEO

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Question:

If you are parking a domain with the thought of ultimately developing it, are you potentially?

a) hurting your future SEO potential (since I am sure the SE now know where the major parking services are being hosted and fight against them in their algos.)

This would be actively bad

b) losing an opportunity to start getting out of the sandbox which you could do with a few basic pages while you wait to develop

This would be not as bad, but a missed opportunity

Thoughts appreciated

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Interesting questions -- I don't know the answers, but sure hope someone in the know will enlighten us.

•••
Yes and No, SOME parking services have have sitemaps on there pages pages, so thats good, you get indexed of course, bad thing is if its a low - medium traffic domain, it can possibly lose its PR and same with OVT it will drop or lose. Theres alot of speculation about this, but to get a good idea of the traffic and where its coming from/what the user is searching on, i would park it for a month, then you have a foundation to build on because you know whats being looked at/for when users goto your domain.

I have a domain parked and its been parked for a year now and its still PR1 and has little traffic. So it could be dependant on what kind of domain too.

Good Luck.

Thank you

Sin

Last edited:
•••
Good questions and thanks for the post SW. Rep added. I would be interested in what other people have to say on the subject.

•••
Definitely puts "selfparking" back into the picture.

Great thoughts. THANKS. I will be following this thread with a magnifying glass.

How would one go about "self parking" 180 domains. And they would have to be separately hosted or at least in groups so that One bad snadbox thing wouldnt wipe out the portfolio.

Getting $10-$15 income per month per name would be nice.

And it would be nice to have the control of cross linking and content adding. Kinda like thos Seqq.com BuyDomains.com people we talked about in another thread http://www.namepros.com/domain-name-discussion/173105-who-and-what-is-seeq-com.html

Now thats an internal power parking network.

your thoughts definitely are valid concerns... I think?

•••
I was just browsing the web and i came across this link. http://www.2disc.com/ppc_vs_seo.html Hopefully this might help with your questions and explain it a bit better.

Thank you

Sin

•••
SW, I read the article....it didn't seem to really address the point. It was an overview of SEO and PPC as methods to get folks to a website. did i miss something??

•••
antonis12 said:
SW, I read the article....it didn't seem to really address the point. It was an overview of SEO and PPC as methods to get folks to a website. did i miss something??

agree - not really the issue at hand here. Besides I am dissappointed in the NPs community's lack of response or knowledge about these excellent questions and arguments. Lets hope our prince or princess shows up.

I'm sure you would be hailed with rep.. =:_)

even though Sins first post is the best answer so far...txs

•••
I dont think it actively hurts you to throw up a parking page. You probably wont get indexed but is that really a problem? If you then remove the parking and put up your own site then in my experience you dont suffer any penalties from the SEs. I do however agree with you that parking a domain to be developed is a missed opertunity to get your domain indexed and known to the search engines. Personally i prefer a combined soloution....Stick up a related adsense minisite until the full developement is done.

Write a few pages which directly relate to the content of your planned site and put google adsense or YPN on these pages. This way the search engines know about your website and also understand what its about. You also have the added bonus that should you get some visitors then there is a good chance that you might earn some cash from ads similar to how a parking page works. If you lucky you may even start ranking for keywords before your developed site is even established. :)

•••
antonis12 said:
b) losing an opportunity to start getting out of the sandbox which you could do with a few basic pages while you wait to develop

That's a good point. But I have heard many experienced black hat SEOers say that changing registrant info on a domain can put you right back into the sandbox. Given that, it would make no difference if you "self-parked" because once you sell it the domain runs the risk of entering the sandbox once the whois registrant info is changed. They say that ever since Google became and ICANN accredited reg they are able to check whois registrant data and that is exactly why they became an ICANN accredited reg.

Don't know. Just what heard.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back