Dynadot

question Parked domain generating ~1$ per day, can I optimise it?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Explorer

Impact
Hi all, I'm new to parking and I'm unsure how to approach a domain that seems to be performing well. I put the domain on Sedo with a sales lander on Monday, but after seeing the traffic, changed to an ad lander on Wednesday.

Besides kicking myself that I didn't park it sooner, is there anything I should be thinking about to optimise the earning potential or should I just hope the traffic keeps coming and leave it as it is? Thank you!

Since Wednesday:
  • Earnings are around 3,80$
  • 2556 uniques views
  • Top 3 traffic sources are US, France, and Poland
For context:
  • I've owned the domain for 5 years
  • Bought for 9$ and renewals are around the same
  • Domain + extension form a somewhat common phrase.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
check your pm please.

Last edited:
•••
If the domain+ext result in a keyword term that can be monetised then you shouldn't touch the domain as the feeds will automatically provide the best ads suited for that keyword term.

What you *could* do is try different parking services like Bodis and ParkingCrew OR you could just add it to Above.com and let that decide which parking services are best.

•••
Agree with Hypersot use bodis/parkingcrew with above.

•••
normally if name makes 1 on sedo it mean it make 10 in bodis...sadly I hear now bodis and pc dont just take all any now and u need decent names.

•••
@br1ll1on ,
well, it has decent amount of traffic so you could give it a try.

You need to understand however that, any optimisation that has already happened at Bodis will probably be gone when you switch the NS (nameservers) to Above.com.

Note also that, due to how traffic is split between services, the payout will also be split between any parking services you choose to work with Above.com until Above.com finds which one pays the best and starts sending the traffic there.

In short,
you need to understand how a service like Above.com works before you choose to switch.

•••
@br1ll1on ,
well, it has decent amount of traffic so you could give it a try.

You need to understand however that, any optimisation that has already happened at Bodis will probably be gone when you switch the NS (nameservers) to Above.com.

Note also that, due to how traffic is split between services, the payout will also be split between any parking services you choose to work with Above.com until Above.com finds which one pays the best and starts sending the traffic there.

In short,
you need to understand how a service like Above.com works before you choose to switch.
understood, thanks.

•••
If the domain+ext result in a keyword term that can be monetised then you shouldn't touch the domain as the feeds will automatically provide the best ads suited for that keyword term.

What you *could* do is try different parking services like Bodis and ParkingCrew OR you could just add it to Above.com and let that decide which parking services are best.
Thank you for the information. I'm curious, are there risks to switching to a different parking service? For example, can switching to Bodis and then switching back to Sedo cause future earnings on Sedo to drop?

•••
@Explorer,
as mentioned earlier, it's the optimisation that has a chance to break.

Remember that each parking service serve their own direct advertisers' feeds. When you suddenly remove the traffic from a feed, that action might cause that particular feed to not be there when you return the traffic in the future.

Please note that, what I mentioned comes from my own experience; things might work differently behind the scenes. I have often seen domains in the past completely lose the revenue that they brought when I switched the nameservers to another parking service and then back again.

The reason I suggested Above.com is to help you understand who is the better payer. Above constantly sends a tiny amount of traffic to all the parking services in your account so the risk of losing a feed is minimal (since they will constantly be kept alive).

•••
You can switch as many times as you want.
The benefit of Bodis versus other platforms is the automatic optimization that ensures a better CTR; not great differences on EPC side.
However according to my experience, you can optimize, switch, using above, but if a parked domain works, it works everywhere. You can optimize performance 2x (that it's still money!) but not 10x.
Finally more the domain is in a niche, less you can optimize. If the domain receive generic traffic may be there is more space for the optimization showing for example ads with an high PPC.

•••
You can switch as many times as you want.
The benefit of Bodis versus other platforms is the automatic optimization that ensures a better CTR; not great differences on EPC side.
However according to my experience, you can optimize, switch, using above, but if a parked domain works, it works everywhere. You can optimize performance 2x (that it's still money!) but not 10x.
Finally more the domain is in a niche, less you can optimize. If the domain receive generic traffic may be there is more space for the optimization showing for example ads with an high PPC.

what a bunch nonsense. of course domain doesnt work same way everywhere... and sedo and that gd bs have worst revenue share models around.

•••
Many thanks for the guidance Hypersot and Evil. I'll keep the domain parked a little longer on Sedo to understand 30 day potential, and then I'll look into testing another platform.

•••
Besides kicking myself that I didn't park it sooner, is there anything I should be thinking about to optimise the earning potential or should I just hope the traffic keeps coming and leave it as it is? Thank you!
Hi

go ahead and kick yourself, cuz after having it for 5 years and not parking it at first, you deserve it :)

but still, i'd say leave it where it is.

for some names, sedo may perform better than others.

if interested in selling it, shoot me a pm

imo...

•••
normally if name makes 1 on sedo it mean it make 10 in bodis...sadly I hear now bodis and pc dont just take all any now and u need decent names.

They probably don't take any, because domain parking sucks right now? I have added 100 new names with backlinks over the last months and only made $2-3 bucks. One name I had added during COVID still generates revenue currently is at $230. I'm quitting domain parking, will only leave my best earners on Bodis that still make some $. I only park 40 names right now out of 420 folio.
Also, one AN sale with 25% commission could be a year domain parking profit IF your names perform well. Not worth it, unless you are a kid experimenting, but still waste of time.
You could find good names for parking during COVID, but not anymore. IMO

Last edited:
•••
The point is not to find good names but to earn good revenues.
RPM is half of last year's no matter where domains are parked (Bodis, PC, Sedo, Above, Parklogic, Smartname): this is my experience.
So I stopped loosing time to rotate, focusing on cost savings and new potential domains.

•••
They probably don't take any, because domain parking sucks right now? I have added 100 new names with backlinks over the last months and only made $2-3 bucks. One name I had added during COVID still generates revenue currently is at $230. I'm quitting domain parking, will only leave my best earners on Bodis that still make some $. I only park 40 names right now out of 420 folio.
Also, one AN sale with 25% commission could be a year domain parking profit IF your names perform well. Not worth it, unless you are a kid experimenting, but still waste of time.
You could find good names for parking during COVID, but not anymore. IMO

I think bud u miss the most important part..like most... that somehow magically parking eliminates and or reduces sales. which of course is a baloney sandwich

•••
I didn't miss it, bro. I park only domains that generate revenue every month. And those are few. I do care about sales and hopefully doing well.

Last edited:
•••
It is possible to generate parking revenue and still make sales. I have been able to achieve both for many years.

•••
I suggest not to move your domain. Leave it and just enjoy the $365 year profit. Not all have the same benefit. And in time you want to sell your domain, you have a solid proof to make it more valuable. Enjoy and Good luck.

•••
Hi all, just a short update for those interested, as the domain has been parked for 4 weeks, since 28.06.
  • Earnings are 29.52€ ($32.73)
  • 19,545 uniques
  • 752 clicks (3.85% CTR, 0.04 EUR EPC)
I'll keep it on Sedo for now, seems to be doing fine.

•••
Great.
Sedo is undervalued. Sometimes parking performs better than the most highly rated Bodis & PC and it has the advantage of being a domain marketplace!

•••
It is possible to generate parking revenue and still make sales. I have been able to achieve both for many years.
You leave the WHOIS contact information visible ?

•••
Hi all, I'm new to parking and I'm unsure how to approach a domain that seems to be performing well. I put the domain on Sedo with a sales lander on Monday, but after seeing the traffic, changed to an ad lander on Wednesday.

Since Wednesday:
  • Earnings are around 3,80$
  • 2556 uniques views
  • Top 3 traffic sources are US, France, and Poland
For context:
  • I've owned the domain for 5 years
  • Bought for 9$ and renewals are around the same
  • Domain + extension form a somewhat common phrase.
Any plans on selling your parked domain? 🤗 If yes - hit me a pm

•••
Hi all, the domain has generated around $100 since I made this post. Here's a short update.

Earlier this month, I received an email from Sedo asking for information about the traffic source. Since then, the traffic has all but disappeared. The earnings per day have dropped from $1 to $0.10.

It seems the journey with this domain is coming to an end, but I'm curious if anyone has a similar experience... Could it be that traffic is being blocked by Sedo and the domain might perform better elsewhere?

Last edited:
•••
Could it be that traffic is being blocked by Sedo and the domain might perform better elsewhere?
Sounds like their primary ad network deemed the traffic as too low quality. To be honest I have never been contacted before about traffic so I could only assume that this is exactly what happened, they are sending your traffic to secondary ad network which has much less epc.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back