Domain Empire

Ottawa Spends $65,000 On Poll To Find People Like Using Google

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Dave_Z

Electrifying GuyTop Member
Impact
So goes the title of this tidbit I found:

http://www.canada.com/topics/technology/story.html?id=fd17caab-d147-48df-b4f1-89cc3a4869df&k=88309

OTTAWA - The federal government recently paid a little more than $65,000 to The Strategic Counsel, a Toronto-based polling firm, for a report that told them people use such popular search engines as Yahoo, Lycos, Alta Vista and Google to find Web sites.

The not-too-surprising information was provided in a final report completed in March after the firm was asked by Health Canada to test "the impact and recall of vanity URLs." (URL is short for "universal resource locator" and is a standard way of giving sites on the Internet a unique address.)

What say you, Canada-based NP members? :D

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Scary

Governments around the world are known for spending money on politians' "pet" projects that defy reasoning, when it could be spent more wisely on much better projects (I'm from the USA, and our governmnet is notorius for doing this, sadly). This particular one is a laugh-riot :imho: No offense to my Canadian neighbors, but this is crazy. To think....The folks that need told this fact by a polling firm, are the very folks that were voted into office and held as "responsible and smart enough" to run the country's government in Canada. Is an almost scary thought :|

•••
more of my tax dollars FLUSHED... :-o

let me guess - the polling firm has STRONG "connections" to some well-connected people in ottawa. LOL

translation: politicians like to keep their friends "working." (and paid well)

•••
LOL if you think this is the only thing like that going on with the tax payers money, this is your WAKE UP CALL.
In fact, Canada is light years behind US for anything Internet. This simply proves that point.

•••
I didn't elect Stephen Harper for a reason... :|

•••
LOL this is crazy. I hope the UK government don't ever do something as ludicrous as this. I would be embarrased.

•••
chrisjp88 said:
LOL this is crazy. I hope the UK government don't ever do something as ludicrous as this. I would be embarrased.

Maybe not with money, but some of your laws are outragously malformed. :)

http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/international/united-kingdom said:
No cows may be driven down the roadway between 10 AM and 7 PM unless there is prior approval from the Commissioner of Police.

All land must be left to the eldest son.

Divorces are outlawed.

Since 1313, MPs are not allowed to don armor in Parliament.

Those wishing to purchase a television must also buy a license.

With the exception of carrots, most goods may not be sold on Sunday.

All English males over the age 14 are to carry out 2 or so hours of longbow practice a week supervised by the local clergy.

It is illegal to be drunk on Licensed Premises (in a pub or bar). :hehe:

Picking up abandoned baggage is an act of terrorism.

•••
psalzmann said:
Canada is light years behind US for anything Internet. This simply proves that point.

Ummmm what??? No need for that, child. Not that far behind, cripes. I was on the internet from home in 1996, so we actually had internet up here in dumb Canada. PFFT I took a computer class in school in 1980...yes that's right...we had computer classes in our high schools in 1980. My grade was 90%.

But whatever...that didn't help the government or the politicians who Somehow Got Elected. ALL politicians are asswipes be it Canada, US or anywhere...don't all of you computer SAVY individuals realize this? Useless tits the lot of them.

:|

•••
Paul Martin was better... Stephen Harper is evil :O

•••
It’s money well spent; at least our leaders have the willingness to aid struggling businesses. Go Canada! :xf.love:

•••
I read the posts in this thread THEN I read the article. If you haven't already read the article, I suggest doing so.

I really don't have an issue with it - either the reasons why it was done or the cost of it. Just for the time I've wasted forgetting Canadian government domain names..... if they make changes based on the results, I'd have gotten my tax dollars worth.

On a more serious note, guys, there are some serious lessons to be learned in there.... both for regular Internet entrepreneurs as well as domainers. In spite of the headline and opener, there's more to it than simply "people use Google to search".

•••
I concur with Sharon.
Read the article then comment.

Also I agree with Kerrijo

80% of households here have the internet.. and we have some of the best backbone lines in the civilized world.

ALOT of large companys reside here Technological wise.

Direct Admin , Black Isle Studios, EA, and alot more!

Spending money on internet research is actually one of the better ways they could invest money.. beats them spending 1.8 million on why rabbits attempt to copulate with thier own gender

Last edited:
•••
All I know is this... I would have done that POLL for Canada for $10,000 LESS. Next time, call me! :D

GoPC

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back