IT.COM

.org or .net or .com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Can you help me out I am trying to pick a website for myself and i don't know which domain is better :td: ...can you describe me all of them kind of like their advantages and disadvantages plz...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well .COM is worth the most and it has the most chance of getting typed-in. Basically for me unless all the .COM's were taken I wouldn't get a .NET or .ORG

.NET and .ORG don't really have anything extra special about them unless your a network or a non-profit organization.

Go with the .COM!

•••
thanx a lot! I will make .com domain, thanx once again ;)

•••
ruan said:
thanx a lot! I will make .com domain, thanx once again ;)

Anytime, I know all NP'ers would agree with me.

•••
kjmz said:
Yup. The only time I have ever registered a domain name other than a .com is either when the .com isn't avaliable or the other extension fits the name (like .info)

-Josh

•••
kjmz said:
agree! ;)

dotcom domain is more popular and has a higher value with a .net or .org domains..

•••
JoshHendo said:
Yup. The only time I have ever registered a domain name other than a .com is either when the .com isn't avaliable or the other extension fits the name (like .info)

-Josh

Great point, I've done that with my country too since it was only valid to Canadians. Like it would make sense to get www.toronto.ca if you wanted to make a site about Toronto.

•••
kjmz said:
JoshHendo said:

-Josh

Great point, I've done that with my country too since it was only valid to Canadians. Like it would make sense to get www.toronto.ca if you wanted to make a site about Toronto.

IMO, toronto.com sounds better than toronto.ca, but it depends what your gunna do with the domain eg if its for fellow candians then you should register .ca but if its for a site that advertises toronto for tourists etc,etc then you should get the .com

•••
.ca - not a bad idea too...sound good as well as I am from Alberta ;)

•••
ruan said:
.ca - not a bad idea too...sound good as well as I am from Alberta ;)

Well there you go lol :)

•••
•••
I always prefer dot COM. Uusually, many people aware of the domain extension COM when a website comes into their mind. As a developer, i will type the name and using hotkeys (CTRL+ENTER) used for adding .com suffixes, do the work. do, i prefer always .COM

•••
kjmz said:
I don't ,for one.
All gTLD's and some ccTLD's have their place.
And sometimes that place is ahead of .com

Depends on Targeted market for the Name

•••
I've never seen/heard of the same keyword gtld/cctld sell for as much or more then the .com version. In general .com is preferred over .net .org or .whatever

•••
what type of website are you building?
.com is the default, but if the .com is not available then the type of website you are creating will define the optimal range of other options to choose from.

•••
It probably goes without saying that it really does depend on where you business is based, for example if you can only do business with people in the UK, you would buy .co.uk.

Out of the choice of .com, .net and .org this also applies to what kind of site you are setting up.

.com - General, (sometimes related mainly to the USA)
.net - If you site is a network site, like if it is the management of many websites
.org - If you site is an organisation

- Luke :)

•••
While i'm new to all this as well just using my limited experience on the internet I would have to say .com is the way to go. It's the most widely used and accepted domain extension I've seen.

•••
.com! When a name is considered, the browser most likely will try the .com first rather than anything else.

•••
No doubt - first .com. Try to find .com with less good looking name then .net/etc with a little bit better looking name.

•••
See what extension looks the best with what your sites going to be about. .COM is probably the most valuable now. But if .be looks better there for instance then id go for it. All depends on what your going to use it for.

•••
what if domain name that I want is closed for .com,.net,.org is that gonna be popular if I will have domain .ca?

•••
ruan said:
what if domain name that I want is closed for .com,.net,.org is that gonna be popular if I will have domain .ca?

I couldn't really understand the question, so I'm going to guess what you said. Yes the .CA domain has pretty much the same amount of chance of getting popular as the .COM, .NET, and .ORG. The only thing you may miss is type-ins but if you have the correct .CA domain you will get type-ins too.

•••
ok thanx...I will try that out...

•••
all of them

if you register the the .com version you should also register .net and .org etc to protect your "brand"

•••
Also of note, is the .TV extension that is currently taking over; there are many uses for a .TV domain and many of these .tv domains are much better overall than a .com.

The cable company TNT.tv is better than the non tv related TNT.com.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back