Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Snapdragon80

Established Member
Impact

OperatingSystem.Co

> EMD product domain name

> 90,000+ exact google monthly searches with CPC $0.65 for "Operating System"

> The only hitch: its a .Co and not a .Com. .Com would probably be a 6 figure domain name :)

Any thoughts on its Valuation? Also would appreciate any thoughts on which contacts to pursue for sales?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Don't see much value; all "operating system" domains are either parked or just sitting.
Reg fee to Mid XX

•••
Hey Ruzeen.. Thanks for your feedback.. although I would have to disagree with your valuation.. It certainly is worth upwards of $100 (my personal guess would be in the $500-$1000 range).. also as far I know nearly 99% (maybe more) of all registered non-dotcom domains are either parked or just sitting :) .. but they still change hands in $xxx, $x,xxx and $xx,xxx range all the time

Would like to hear more views to check whether the majority opinion is sub-$100, $100+ or $500+

So if you have an opinion on it do share it. Thanks!

•••
What would you with that domain ? And what kind of possible end users do you have in mind ? Just curious.

•••
@Snapdragon80 if I'm not mistaken, you asked for an appraisal because you clearly don't know the value of that domain. However, I wish you all the best to find a buyer that meets your expectations.

I was stating that "operatingsystem" is not developed in any other extensions and that's a minus for your new domain. Not that your domain is $0 because it is parked; there are million dollar names parked.

Regards,
Ruzeen

•••
@sdsinc Not sure about the end-users exactly :D.. that's why had asked for suggestions in this regard in my original post.. Just liked the sound of it so got the domain (plus its registered in 25+ extensions which does indicate some kinda demand and some value for the domain).. Honestly, was thinking of flipping it to a reseller interested in the niche :p

@ruzeen Hey, was not saying you are wrong.. For all I know you are right and its not even worth $100.. was just stating my opinion as you had stated yours and countering some of your arguments.. really didn't mean to offend you.. and I really appreciated the time you took to give your opinion.. so once again thanks for your opinion and hope there are no hard feelings :)

•••
Not sure what the value is since I am still new to domaining myself. However, os-operating-system.com and operating-system.org are both developed, with the former being an ecommerce site selling operating systems. The owners of these two sites might be interested, since you have a non hyphenated domain name. Or maybe someone who wants to build a site featuring either operating systems for sale, or a resource site featuring open source operating systems, would be interested.

•••
•••
@Goodnamez Pretty nice finds.. will def look into it.. Thanks!

•••
I see this domain was created 6/29/14. I'm sorry but domains regged a week ago aren't worth $100+. Definitely not $500-$1000. That's why they're available.

I'm pretty sure it's actually against NP rules to hand-reg a name then immediately post it in the appraisal section.

Domains with $xxx/$x,xxx value are going to be aged.

My personal appraisal for this domain would be $0.

•••
@maxx500 I am sorry but I find your logic pretty weak.. I have handregged over 100 domains over the past yr or so and have sold 5 of them, a couple within a month of registration and all for $400+

Also as I said 'operatingsystem' has been regged in 25+ extensions.. so you mean to say all those other extensions have value but not the .co? .biz, .mobi, and .ru were regged in 2010, 2011 & 2012 respectively so it should automatically mean they are more valuable than the .co according to your logic which is hilarious as no one would value operatingsystem.ru more than operatingsystem.co.. and .mobi extension is all but dead so that cant be more valuable than .co either.. just my 2 cents

•••
@maxx500 I am sorry but I find your logic pretty weak.. I have handregged over 100 domains over the past yr or so and have sold 5 of them, a couple within a month of registration and all for $400+

Also as I said 'operatingsystem' has been regged in 25+ extensions.. so you mean to say all those other extensions have value but not the .co? .biz, .mobi, and .ru were regged in 2010, 2011 & 2012 respectively so it should automatically mean they are more valuable than the .co according to your logic which is hilarious as no one would value operatingsystem.ru more than operatingsystem.co.. and .mobi extension is all but dead so that cant be more valuable than .co either.. just my 2 cents

In no way do your past sales have anything to do with your new hand-regs. It's not like everything you reg now turns to gold.

^^Now that'd be weak logic, my logic is realistic. If you just paid reg fee for it, it's likely worth around reg fee - and until you prove otherwise it's not going to be appraised much more than that.

I never said all those other extensions have value but not .co. Not sure where you got that from.
Also, when someone says aged it usually doesn't mean 2-3 years old. It means around 10, give or take some years. I didn't know I needed to point that out. Plus, I don't know why your saying .mobi is all but dead. It's pretty dead. It definitely doesn't increase this domains value that it's taken.

In my opinion it's just too lengthy for a .co and not popular enough of an online category, and not enough sales to back it up. I only found one sale containing the term "operating system".

Anyway, this is just my opinion.

•••
@maxx500 when did I claim everything I touch turns to gold.. if I regged 100+ domains and sold only 5, that means 95+ of my domains are unsold.. that's hardly the midas touch I would want :).. I just wanted to point out that its not right to generalize that domains with age less than a yr or even a month are worthless..

IMHO age is a wrong metric to value domains altogether.. its not wine that it will get better with age .. not even every wine gets better with age :) .. and pigeon shit domains tend to stay pigeon shit even after 10 yrs of age.. The only utility of a domain age is that it helps the lazy domainer or the unintuitive one, as if a domain has been regged for say 10yrs it has a better probability of being more valuable than one that is less than a yr old.. In other words a random collection of a 1000 10-yr+ domains is likely to have more gems and lesser pigeon shit domains than a similar collection of 1000 <1-yr domains.. so a lazy or unintuitive domainer expending minimal effort and undertaking minimal research can be better off picking from the first lot rather than the second.. Just MHO, other may disagree..

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to give your opinions.. do not have anything against you personally but just don't buy the argument that ageless domains are worthless.. unless, of course, someone proves it otherwise with solid facts :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back