IT.COM

discuss OpenAI pushing back against GPT domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Dotword

Established Member
Impact
End users using domain names ending in "GPT" are receiving letters sent on behalf of OpenAI to cease.

I've seen two examples posted on twitter showing the letter, sent from a company called BrandShield.

At least one recipient has checked and believes it to be legit.

Whether they can really do this or not I don't know but it obviously shows OpenAI is not happy with the use and could presumably revoke access to their API to insist.

Attachments

• 20230504_220550.jpg
    20230504_220550.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 102
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yikes. That's not a good sign to all the apps and products using "GPT" in their names.

I wonder what the consequences would be for those don't comply? Potential API suspension?

Last edited:
•••
That WIPO registration is only binding within Switzerland.

USPTO records are still in Under Examination status.

•••
Yikes. That's not a good sign to all the apps and products using "GPT" in their names.

I wonder what the consequences would be for those don't comply? Potential API suspension?
Exactly.

My guess is OpenAI only has suspension of API in its arsenal currently but will look for other ways.

Whether they can or not is another matter. Can they trademark GPT ?

But as you said, not great news for GPT named products.

•••
I still think OpenAI's case for getting the USPTO to grant registration for a "GPT" trademark is very weak.

GPT, as an abbreviation for generative pretrained transformer, is highly descriptive...and is primarily a technical term in the field despite now also being known for being within the name of the popular "ChatGPT" service.

(Lexology.com had a good article about this on 4/26/23, but I don't have the ability to post links here...)

Now, "ChatGPT" is another matter -- there's at least some creativity in combining part of the term "Chatbot" w/ the term GPT.

Last edited:
•••
And bizjournals.com just had an article on May 10th saying, "...the actual phrase GPT, standing for generative pre-trained transformer, is a broad term describing the AI technology. The term was first introduced in 2018 in a research paper published by OpenAI, but has since been used to describe any AI model that meet certain criteria."

•••
Yeah sounds like bolting the gate after the horse has left the stable.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back