IT.COM

.us Oh, no! Pepsi.us is dropping!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Pepsi.us, a total TM, is due to drop on May 23.

Why would Pepsi allow this to happen? Some squatter will just snap it up and give all domainers a bad name, and Pepsi will go after the squatter anyway.

:'(

For a few bucks a year, Pepsi could have avoided a future URDP.

This kind of stuff makes me crazy.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
maybe their it department is bored :p

•••
If they don't even feel the need for a defensive reg it speaks volume about the health of .us :)

•••
If they don't even feel the need for a defensive reg it speaks volume about the health of .us :)
I did some comparisons on .us a few months ago and it appeared that a high percentage of .us was defensive/brand protection registrations. However if someone picks pepsi.us up on the drop, they've some major legal action ahead. :)

Regards...jmcc

•••
If someone makes a product quality review blog on this domain then Pepsi might have a hard time taking it away from them after letting it drop.

(just my opinion)

-

•••
Recently PEPSI (dot) in dropped also.
It was quickly snapped up and is now parked. :red:

•••
Amazing that a company like that does not have people looking out for these sort of things. I don't know what is going on over there at Pepsi, but wow, they dropped the ball on this.

•••

Last edited:
•••
I view this at a HUGE negative for .us. Each year we see more and more companies making the decision to not protect thier brand in .US

Pepsi uses MarkMonitor to manage their domains. I doubt this drop is a "mistake"

•••
Coca Cola stays winning :) Their coke.us just forwards to their homepage.

•••
Looks like PepsiCo renewed this!

•••
Looks like PepsiCo renewed this!

Nope. I just checked http://www.whois.us/ and the expiration date still shows as April 18, 2011, which means they could still renew it (although I saw this on a pending delete list).

I do hope that Pepsi renews it.

---------- Post added at 01:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 PM ----------

I just shot off an email to the address listed in whois:

Dear Pepsi Co, Inc.

PLEASE renew your Pepsi.us domain.

Otherwise, a cybersquatter will register it and park it on a PCP site.

Then you will have to spend at least $1,200 to get it back in a domain dispute.

I am emailing you because I loathe cybersquatting and the bad reputation it gives the domain industry. Ethical domainers will never knowingly register a branded trademark domain name.

Best wishes,
Jennifer Semple Siegel

I decided to put my dismay to good use.

The ball is in their hands now.

•••
The name has been registered by a German citizen but is inactive.
So the the name must have been in pending delete already.

•••

Last edited:
•••

Well, whoever has it will have Pepsi knocking at his or her door.

;)

UPDATE: Agile.tv has regged it through Dynadot with a US address.

Shame on Pepsi for being so stupid for not protecting its brand, and shame on jce at Agile.tv for regging it.

:(

Last edited:
•••

Last edited:
•••
It's regged with my real name, real address, real phone.

They call me?
It's theirs in a day or so.

They don't call me?
It may get Dynadot some business because it's parked there with NO ADS.

I'm going to make $0.

J.

In a few days? It will be dropped again.

They have got 5 days and counting to respond to your note...after that? It goes to whoever wants it. Just in case it was a mistake.

And your reason for regging it?

I just don't get it. You really can't make money on it, at least without running into potential problems.

If you have a beef with Pepsi, then why not PepsiSucks.whatever??? Start a forum. State an opinion. Bombast them with vitriol. Hell, I'd probably join. I have no problem with trying to get under the skin of a big corporation--God knows they often deserve it--but, unlike "Apple" or "Blackberry," "Pepsi" in itself is not a generic term; it's branded name, made up by the corporation for the purpose of doing business.

Yes, I think they're idiots for allowing the domain to drop; heck, they even hold pepsi.tel!!!

I'm not wild about Pepsi products or their company culture (interesting article about PepsiCo a few weeks ago in The New Yorker about their junk food branding and how their food is contributing to obesity throughout the world), but my ire here is not with Pepsi; it's with people who cybersquat, which gives all of us a bad name.

•••
So to end the story. I have it. It's parked with no 3rd Party ads once DNS refreshes.

:)

J.
Now that you have it might be best if you held on to it so that it won't fall in the wrong hands.

They might be happy if you offered to transfer it to them in case they had let it drop by mistake, if they still don't want it then you can let it drop, but at least this way you can show that you had good intentions.

(not meant as legal or professional advice, just my opinion)

-

•••
Now that you have it might be best if you held on to it so that it won't fall in the wrong hands.

They might be happy if you offered to transfer it to them in case they had let it drop by mistake, if they still don't want it then you can let it drop, but at least this way you can show that you had good intentions.

(not meant as legal or professional advice, just my opinion)

-

Excellent idea, oldtimer.

Anyway, I'm not going to say anything else to d.

What's done is done.

•••
Wasn't there some pepsi or coke domain on EBay a few years ago? Something like ipepsi?

•••

Last edited:
•••
I contacted them about this last week but it looks like it's too late. They wanted me to call back for "additional information". Oh well... they dropped the ball on this one. I guess they figure they can always go to court if they need the name! :)
Amazing they didn't spend the change to renew some of these.

Last edited:
•••

Last edited:
•••
•••
I had benz.us a year or two back, realized there was a small town in the US called benz but it looked like maybe a population of zero?? Idk but it looked like a rural tinpot town with nobody living there and I saw it on the google maps. I still realized I didn't want the problems associated with the name, so I contacted mercedes about it and they never got back to me. I let them know it would be expiring and someone will squat on it. They didn't respond to that either but they did put me on some kind of a mailing list.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back