Dynadot

discuss Obsolete name valuation rules.

NameSilo
Watch
I have a few issues with some of the ways domain names are valued. I have been out of this for a while and seems some of the old rules aren't relevant anymore however I would like to hear other peoples input on this.

lets start by addressing memorable names. that is supposed to add value but seriously who really remembers names anymore anyway? and when was the last time any of us typed a name to get to a page. most of the time your clicking on a link or bookmark anyway. There not a lot of memorable domain names to choose from anymore so the dot com names have gotten longer and harder to remember. As a result we no longer even try to remember a name to a specific site. one of the things that's made our minds lazy is if its a site you have visited before you type the first couple letters in the address bar and there it is you may not remember the address but you will recognize it when it pops up. So I dont really think a long name or a easy to forget name will cost you as much business as people claim. sure a memorable name helps but what doesnt help is when you see a simple easy to remember name shows an output of xxx.com/ssaflkchsafi?dfgasdhfioudhvmohd'oi
you get the idea.

Its kinda the same thing with names longer then 15 characters so wont go into that.

Back in the day .nets may not have held the same value as .com tld but there was some value there. Lately I noticed .nets no one is using anymore and have no value at all. In fact people are now saying never use a .net for a business that they are only good for a personal site. .nets have been around as long as .com and they have always been tied together at holding the most value now .nets are worthless. I would think popular keywords .net names should still hold some value as it can still influence search engine rankings at the very least. which brings up another question I did a search today for a domain name the dot com name was bought and is listed for sale of $27,000 which i believe is way too much in my opinion not really worth only 1k but the .net name was available. so if I get the .net name being the dot come isnt being used just being sold what happens if I down the road decide to get a trade name for the name. what if someone buys the dot com name and they create a website or what about the guy selling a name thats been trade marked.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Now.... What was the question?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back