NameSilo

.biz Npers opinion of .biz

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

opinions on .biz

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
I just completed a bulk sale of 248 LLL.biz and the transaction was fine although a decent percentage of the combos were good letters so I would have thought maybe a higher overall price but I am not complaining. Then I see a premium word like buy.biz sell for $4,000 cheap IMO. SO is .biz just an extension on the down. I am not criticizing still hold 23 premium LLL.biz and a couple decent two word domains.

What are your opinions on .biz

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's not an extension I would buy for my own use really. If resale values took off I would consider buying them for selling on maybe but never for a website of my own.

It might be that coming from the UK I don't know anyone who actually refers to business as "biz". It has more of a connotation with me with showbusiness which does get referred to as showbiz but for actual serious business it doesn't quite ring true to my ears. Maybe the reference to business as biz is more of an American thing ? Maybe it's just the people I know and come across in business myself though so that's just my own experience...I would have thought that in the right context they have good value a bit like .info although that to me is more universal as we use that expression a lot as well......So .biz is behind .info for me...

David

•••
I only have a couple. Not a big fan of them overall.

•••
.biz behind .info for me too. It does appear that the trend is a movement away from the extention, but fashions come and go...

•••
Good points by all Thank you, I agree I always thought of .biz behind .info but last year I thought of it as ahead of .us. Not now I put .us above .biz and it seems most domainers do.

•••
I agree. I place .us domains above .biz as well.

•••
for anything entertainment industry and light-hearted business, .biz works.... precisely because it is unfashionable it is worth looking at in available niche areas. don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

•••
Just saw that zen.biz went for $1,500 at Sedo. There are decent sales to be made out there with .biz domains, they are just few and far between.

•••
there is nothing wrong with .biz
I have sold quite a few of them, and never for under $1K
but then again, it depends on the keyword, and the usage....
.biz makes a lot of sense for a pure business site.
last week, I sold governments.biz for 1500 euro on Sedo (I think I sold it on the cheap side), I don't know why it is not showing there yet.

•••
•••
Yeah, nice sale. Any $x,xxx sale for a .biz is darn good.

•••
my friend sold well.biz for $2800

•••
I own some of .biz names, but I can't see major values in them.

•••
AmD950 said:
I own some of .biz names, but I can't see major values in them.

I agree with this statement 100%.

Frank

•••
•••
I like certain .biz names. It's kind of like .org. Not everything goes well with that extension either, but when it's suited with a certain name---it fits like a "glove". I own such a name. Anywhere.biz It doesn't get a lot of type-ins but sure stands out as an upstart brand of sorts....

•••
i have regged 2 names and was't sure it is worth?

•••
I think very few of .biz domains are worth something. The problem with .biz is it is not very popular and doesn't go well with each and every name. Very few businesses use .biz as almost all of them prefer .com.

•••
I think a lot of people think the small business that can't get the .com will get the .biz. I wonder if they just get another .com or for us the .us ?

•••
yeah..i ve got malaysians.biz and malaysians.com was just sold for 15k USD at Snapname being the top 10 highest sale at DNJournal.com

•••
My largest domain sale to date (not including a website) is a .biz sale. Due to an agreement, I cannot and will not disclose the name, though. The name itself went for high $xxx and it was a fair term. I'm a .biz believer and it's a great extension for the right words.

•••
I see a future in generic words and 3 letter .biz domains. In "real life" have I mostly seen .biz used by small companies and companies just needing a domain for e-mail addresses but without much focus on the Internet so it could be a while before we see high end user sales.

•••
.biz has never been truly accepted and I think it will remain a second-rate TLD for a long time.
Someone once said on this forum that it carries the stigma of a second-rate attempt to secure a name you couldn't get under .com so you are trading as a disadvantage vs the competition. It was also said that .biz brings up images of shady tradings & mlm scams etc.
Saying that, I only own 2 and it is for defensive registration purposes (I have taken .com .net .org .info as well).
But for strong generic keywords that fits the TLD why not.
IMO it's not a very promising TLD, ccTLDs like .us are a better investment I believe, and of course the good 'ole .com remains a valeur sûre :)

•••
tee said:
I didn't like .biz when it was first announced. The resale restrictions, the slangy sound of the extension etc for me was a turnoff. I like it better now.
Yeah, I feel the same way about them. I own a couple, but more for defensive measures than use.

But I have to admit, I would love to own show.biz! :)

•••
I sold Ownit.biz for $2500 and the next day Ownit.us for $1500 (Same company).
http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2004-expanded-newtld.htm

I have sold quite a few in the $200-500 range as well.

The market always determines value.
We can all hypothesize that this extension is great and that extension sucks...
I find that if a businesses wants to get on the internet they are prepared to go with any viable extension to do it.
I had a business owner, who bought a .biz name from me, tell me that before he would pay what the @#$%^ that owned the .Com wanted he would buy the .BIZ and spend some of the difference (which was a lot) advertising his .Biz website. I thought that was pretty good logic.
He wasn't looking for type-in traffic from France or Canada (didn't even know what it was)...He wanted people from his state that were interested in his product and was prepared to spend some of the money he saved to go and get real money spending customers.

Bottom line...type-in/rev names don't mean anything to most small business owners that I have spoken to. They want a web name that matches or describes what their business is about.

If you don't get greedy and see your customer's need, you can turn a decent profit on good names.....

If you expect too much you will end up with very little...

Works for me....

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back