Dynadot

.us NP does not register .us | Why?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Why doesn't NP allow us to register .us domain names?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Because of the registry rules, I guess... Non-US can't register them, or something like that. :|

•••
•••
vip-ip said:
Because of the registry rules, I guess... Non-US can't register them, or something like that. :|

I'm non-US and I've registerd plenty :) I know other ppl that have as well. Not sure if that'll bring me in trouble but so far I haven't heard anything that tells me I can't reg'em.

•••
•••
... people will call it the .US Landrush II.

•••
IAmAllanShore said:
http://www.nic.us/policies/docs/ustld_nexus_requirements.pdf

If they ever pony-up and enforce the rules...

-Allan

In addition to the UDRP policy, there's a nexus dispute policy. All you have to do to lose the name is have someone with US nexus file and presumably win a dispute. However, the name would have to be valuable, since there is a cost to file.

Nexus Dispute Policy (PDF file)

I wouldn't go developing anything of value on them without obtaining nexus first, due to the potential risk.

•••
armstrong said:
... people will call it the .US Landrush II.

When they enforce it :) ?

I look forward to the day :o

-Allan :gl:

•••
IAmAllanShore said:
When they enforce it :) ?

I look forward to the day :o

that's what I'm thinking too - IF it ever happens hehe

I was aware of the file you posted by the way. I know a lot of ppl that own US domains who aren't US citizens nor do they live in the US. That's what got me into reggin .us domains in the first place. In addition the .us domains I have belong to my .com/net/org/info/biz collection. So technically I should be allowed to own the .us as well :D

•••
It's really pretty simple and easy to legally qualify. All you have to do is subject yourself to the US tax laws by starting a legal US business. It can be done for usually less than $200 by getting a tax ID number, vendors license, or by starting a business in the form of a partnership, LLC, or corporation.

By having a .us domain, you are already subject to US law just by registering a name.

•••
Thank you for answering my question..

•••
I think that would be pretty cool if they did decide to give them out.

•••
So theoriatically, you could start a USA based business called "america", then get a nexus file for it. You would then be able to file a claim for "america.us". That'd cost about $500-1000? The domain itself is worth more than that. That doesn't sound very fair to me.

•••
snareklutz said:
So theoriatically, you could start a USA based business called "america", then get a nexus file for it. You would then be able to file a claim for "america.us". That'd cost about $500-1000? The domain itself is worth more than that. That doesn't sound very fair to me.

No, that's not what he meant (Correct me if I'm wrong, adoptable ;) ).

"Nexus" is a noun. It is a "state of being" that is for establishing a "connection" with the us that allows one to register a .us domain name (Having a certain minimum amount of contact with the US). You can start a US business even if you aren't a resident, and thereby legally own .us's.

The "dispute" form is to report non-us owners w/o nexus that own .us's, but like adoptable said, costs a pretty penny so you better 1) be right and 2) really want the domain they hold.

-Allan :gl:

•••
IAmAllanShore said:
The "dispute" form is to report non-us owners w/o nexus that own .us's, but like adoptable said, costs a pretty penny so you better 1) be right and 2) really want the domain they hold.
:bingo: Note that #1 isn't as straightforward as some might think. Even if a .us is regged to a foreign entity, there are nexus categories that allow it. It would suck to blow $1,000+ and have nothing to show for it.

•••
Has anyone ever attempted to file a NEXUS form here at NamePros? If so, were you successful?

Tom

•••
it registers fine for mwe, i have 2 .us names.

•••
snareklutz said:

Nexus means you have a legal connection. Having nexus in the united states basically means you are a taxpayer in some way if not a citizen or resident. If you start a company that is a US registered company, it can be owned by non-US citizens. However, the entity itself can own the domain name. therefore, even though the person can't "legally" own the name, a US based company owned by the non-resident or non-citizen can own one. Technicaly the domain would still have to be owned by the US registered company, and not the non-resident/non-citizen.

•••
The only reason NamePros is not currently offering .US names is because of the extra Nexus fields required when registering names, and even editing WHOIS details. I intentionally made the registration as simplistic as possible for its initial launch.

I will be adding .US, .CO.UK, .CA, and other extensions in the near future and services like ID Protect and POP email as well during July.

•••
-RJ- said:
The only reason NamePros is not currently offering .US names is because of the extra Nexus fields required when registering names, and even editing WHOIS details. I intentionally made the registration as simplistic as possible for its initial launch.

I will be adding .US, .CO.UK, .CA, and other extensions in the near future and services like ID Protect and POP email as well during July.

Ive been eagerly awaiting .co.uk and ID protect :)

Awesome News! :tu:

•••
Thank you RJ.. You provide a fantastic service..

•••
:lala: Thanks RJ! I can't wait.

Tom

•••
-RJ- said:

I've been waiting for ID Protect!

•••
well i hope Namepros.com allows .us soon....

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back