IT.COM

domains Not all Domain Registrars are Created Equal

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
The SolarWinds and Microsoft Exchange cyber-attacks have shown the importance of vetting third-party technology, operational processes and security controls in order to identify and mitigate supply chain risk. Choosing a domain name registrar is such a vital decision because of the many security risks in the domain and DNS ecosystem such as phishing threats or brand infringements.

When I started my career with a domain registrar 21 years ago, companies and individuals alike only had a few accredited registrars to choose from, and the aim was to quickly secure a domain registration - so your website or email address could be fired up within minutes. What more could anyone really need from a registrar?

Fast forward to today and the last question is no longer rhetorical or at least it shouldn’t be if you are serious about corporate risk mitigation. Today’s headlines scream of online data breaches, identity theft, fraud, counterfeiting, DNS hijacking and phishing attacks. When I look around, I still see corporations unaware of the complexities of the domain registrar ecosystem; the truth is that not all domain registrars are created equal.

There are two general categories of domain registrars: consumer-grade registrars and enterprise-grade registrars ...

read more (infosecurity)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back