IT.COM

advice Noobs, Your Buying Dead Beat Domain Names bcos ...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ValleyRock

Sales and OutreachEstablished Member
Impact
Dear Noobs,

There is a strong reason why several names in your portfolio have absolutely no chance of selling - even if you price them below sea level. Hopefully, this brief post might change the way you think about domain names - if your serious.

A few days ago, James Illes wrote a post on the namepros blog titled "how to train you domain brain". I hope you had time to read it, because if you did not I suggest you use the search bar, to find it.

Domain name investment is quite easy once you learn to recognize opportunities and uncover trends. To recognize opportunities or uncover prevailing trends you need to have a strong reference point. A reference point helps you learn the basics, good practices and principles of domaining.

Namepros is a reference point for general information on domaining. For reference points on domain name value you should be looking at namebio.com and dnpric.es. These sites provide domain names, sales price, sales date i.e marketplace data - with the information these sites provide you can learn what names are selling, where and for how much.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated to namebio on dnprices in any way.

If you can spend a week on namebio just going through sales on a market - I suggest you start with godaddy, you should be on your way to buying low and selling high.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's quite a difficult task to decide on a name to buy - there are so many factors involved. It isn't just a case of stringing two or three words together to make a great name. Multiple keywords should work together to make a key phrase. However there does seem to be a whole load of exceptions. For example.

I've just registered RiderAndDriver.com, and I was surprised that it was still available. Estibot values it at $0, but the shorter RiderDriver.com is valued at $350. Now this could be because it is a developed site, but I think it is a bad name because you don't have a rider and a driver for a vehicle. To my mind the addition of "and" makes a better keyphrase, but I find it difficult to understand the motivations of modern surfers.

•••
Then, according to you YouAndTube.com would make a better name than YouTube. In 20 plus years, the domain industry is still not transparent or regulated. It is still the wild west where a lot of people demonstrate success than they actually are; where a small portion of sales are illegitimate and/or questionable and an overwhelming number of people in this trade lose more money than the gloss and floss being exemplified by industry veterans.

It's quite a difficult task to decide on a name to buy... - there are so many factors involved. It isn't just a case of stringing two or three words together to make a great name. Multiple keywords should work together to make a key phrase. However there does seem to be a whole load of exceptions. For example.

I've just registered RiderAndDriver.com, and I was surprised that it was still available. Estibot values it at $0, but the shorter RiderDriver.com is valued at $350. Now this could be because it is a developed site, but I think it is a bad name because you don't have a rider and a driver for a vehicle. To my mind the addition of "and" makes a better keyphrase, but I find it difficult to understand the motivations of modern surfers.

•••
So, when will you eventually sell 'LiberalWomen.com' at the price you want? It has been regd since 2005.

Dear Noobs,

There is a strong reason why several names in your portfolio have absolutely no chance of selling - even if you price them below sea level. Hopefully, this brief post might change the way you think about domain names - if your serious.

A few days ago, James Illes wrote a post on the namepros blog titled "how to train you domain brain". I hope you had time to read it, because if you did not I suggest you use the search bar, to find it.

Domain name investment is quite easy once you learn to recognize opportunities and uncover trends. To recognize opportunities or uncover prevailing trends you need to have a strong reference point. A reference point helps you learn the basics, good practices and principles of domaining.

Namepros is a reference point for general information on domaining. For reference points on domain name value you should be looking at namebio.com and dnpric.es. These sites provide domain names, sales price, sales date i.e marketplace data - with the information these sites provide you can learn what names are selling, where and for how much.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated to namebio on dnprices in any way.

If you can spend a week on namebio just going through sales on a market - I suggest you start with godaddy, you should be on your way to buying low and selling high.

•••
•••
Dear noobs....

Said the 6 month old account..

•••
Dear noobs....

All of a sudden the age of an account on namepros determines the amount of information a domainer holds.

Unlike some veterans in the game, who enjoy misrepresenting information - I prefer to share whatever I can. You can check my post on the namepros blog, another will be posted soon.

I explain the mechanics and I tell you why it works.... unlike some veterans.

Last edited:
•••
@imc - I bought Liberalwomen.com two weeks ago. B-)

I do not sell domains at the price I want, I sell domains at the price the market dictates - my sole objective is to ensure I am selling domains in the right market and that these domains possess qualities buyers in these markets are looking for...

Last edited:
•••
It is still the wild west where a lot of people demonstrate success than they actually are; where a small portion of sales are illegitimate and/or questionable and an overwhelming number of people in this trade lose more money than the gloss and floss being exemplified by industry veterans.

1. It's a free market, free entry, free exit
  2. no system is perfect.
  3. Nobody really shares the true secret of their success, most times they just share best practises which if you took the time to double check everyone is probably doing it. It's what they are doing when nobody is looking that matters.
  4. Domain Shane say's it all the time, if I buy a domain for 200 and 20 bucks and I make 250 or 25 dollars as long I am making profit its good. Buy a ton of good quality low end domain , sell them for a descent profit and scale outwards this way.

•••

I do not sell domains at the price I want, I sell domains at the price the market dictates - my sole objective is to ensure I am selling domains in the right market and that these domains possess qualities buyers in these markets are looking for...

The market will always dictate the lowest price point. If your strategies suits your business objectives so be it and may you find success.

•••
@imc , I am sorry I will have to disagree.

This is the reason , I consistently advocate for marketstats not just product stats. Lots of blogs release sales for the day e.t.c - but nobody releases , total average sales and median sales (for , weeks, months , quaters or per year)

Most especially, you want median sales for the year and not mean(Average sales) always ignore mean sales in domains. This is important for market profiling and domain sales analysis in these markets. Once you know the median price, you analyse the domain above the median price, you buy domains similar to those above the median price - using the method you just place yourself miles ahead of everyone in the game.

I will illustrate with an image

Every market has a median sales price - the median is the 50th percentile.

Watch out for my new blogpost on the namepros blog. Every piece of information is data driven, I have a post already published - its about the length of a domain name and the logic behind it's price.

domains_av.png

Last edited:
•••
Buying bad domains is a part of the domainer life cycle.

Everyone starting off buys some really crap domains and then learns what sells, or makes the renewal cut, out of those domains and what does not.

Then out of those names that have made the cut, the same process is repeated.

After a while you will have a hands-on trained brain on what works and what doesn't.

There are niches I am in that always sell for me, and I never see anything posted here nor do I have to fight for these DN's. You have got to get your 'hands dirty' and see what works - you can't always rely on Estibot / NameBio / Sales Data.

Most people quit after the first two renewal cycles/years, after realizing that it's not as easy as it sounds. At the same time there are also people who are starting domaining and buy these 'crap domains'.

Think of how many domainers have quit over the "Chip" fiasco. Last year the market was saturated with big-spenders looking to make a buck from 'low-quality' domains.

Bad domain choices (by domainers) live on due to the natural cycles of this industry - IMO.

•••
I think beginners have more to lose by misinterpreting sales from NameBio. Any "seasoned" domainer would be able to look into a context before choosing whether or not to invest in related domains.

NamePros is a better option for the earliest beginners as it offers more interaction in my opinion.

•••
@DomainVP I agree.

In the beginning you think you know what your doing but you don't and you need someone to hammer this into your head. I believe to succeed "here" you need to immerse yourself into the system and the sales data is by far the fastest way to do it .

However, I never had a reason to doubt namebio data .

•••
This is an interesting thread, and it shows the diversity of attitudes in those who register names.

I was taken to task for suggesting that key phrases need to flow, and the counter argument's example was a brand name - this is not the same as a key phrase. It is the same as saying that horses.com is a bad name because Ebay.com is singular.

There has been a discussion about stats, and comparisons were made between the mean and the median prices, but nobody mentioned the mode - that may be more relevant for newbies looking to turn a quick and simple profit.

•••
What works in one TLD doesn't necessarily work in another TLD
Also within a TLD demand varies at different times in a TLD's life cycle.

•••
i train my domain brain buying only 3L/4N/1-word domains

•••
That was funny though promo. Laughter always the best medicine. For my 2 cents worth I think domaining is like most things. The more you do it, the better you are at it. No replacement for experience. One has to follow the players and trends in the industry. Usually the smart money is long term, not hit and run although some get lucky with big sales to people with too much money. lol It is called intellectual property for a reason.
Latest hand reg for me. artintell(dot)com Abbreviation for artificial intelligence. Be interesting to see how art intell and quantum computing changes our world. :droid:

•••
Another reason artificial intelligence will take over. I did not even post it right!
artifintell(dot)com

•••

This domain was parked for at least six years.
The .net & .org are both parked.
You've hade it for weeks and it's still using a Godaddy parking page.

I wouldn't call this a good buy but I'm often wrong and amazed at what makes the monthly charts.

Last edited:
•••
Dear noobs....

Since when did the age of a Namepros account determine how much knowledge or experience you have in domain names?

Excuse my statement, but nobody requested for you to give a braincell demonstration. Webscent's contribution to Namepros is a perfectly valid topic.

•••
@DomainVP I agree.

In the beginning you think you know what your doing but you don't and you need someone to hammer this into your head. I believe to succeed "here" you need to immerse yourself into the system and the sales data is by far the fastest way to do it .

However, I never had a reason to doubt namebio data .

Not the data, just the interpretation.

•••
This domain was parked for at least six years.
The .net & .org are both parked.
You've hade it for weeks and it's still using a Godaddy parking page.

I wouldn't call this a good buy but I'm often wrong and amazed at what makes the monthly charts.

I spoke too soon, liberal-woman.com is a blog and facebook community. In use for 9 years.

•••
Now this is what I agree with 100%....

Buying bad domains is a part of the domainer life cycle.

Everyone starting off buys some really crap domains and then learns what sells, or makes the renewal cut, out of those domains and what does not.

Then out of those names that have made the cut, the same process is repeated.

After a while you will have a hands-on trained brain on what works and what doesn't.

There are niches I am in that always sell for me, and I never see anything posted here nor do I have to fight for these DN's. You have got to get your 'hands dirty' and see what works - you can't always rely on Estibot / NameBio / Sales Data.

Most people quit after the first two renewal cycles/years, after realizing that it's not as easy as it sounds. At the same time there are also people who are starting domaining and buy these 'crap domains'.

Think of how many domainers have quit over the "Chip" fiasco. Last year the market was saturated with big-spenders looking to make a buck from 'low-quality' domains.

Bad domain choices (by domainers) live on due to the natural cycles of this industry - IMO.

•••
This makes no sense (to me ) at all. I have end user business launch worthy names and when an end user approaches me, what do I care for the data you've presented? I didn't give it a 2nd glance. These graphs may relate to the L's and N's trend as their prices rise in sync with the herd. Other than that, it is the fine art of negotiation which will dictate how much money one makes in domaining. Period.

@imc , I am sorry I will have to disagree.

This is the reason , I consistently advocate for marketstats not just product stats. Lots of blogs release sales for the day e.t.c - but nobody releases , total average sales and median sales (for , weeks, months , quaters or per year)

Most especially, you want median sales for the year and not mean(Average sales) always ignore mean sales in domains. This is important for market profiling and domain sales analysis in these markets. Once you know the median price, you analyse the domain above the median price, you buy domains similar to those above the median price - using the method you just place yourself miles ahead of everyone in the game.

I will illustrate with an image

Every market has a median sales price - the median is the 50th percentile.

Watch out for my new blogpost on the namepros blog. Every piece of information is data driven, I have a post already published - its about the length of a domain name and the logic behind it's price.

domains_av.png

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back