IT.COM

question Node.js versus PHP

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Can someone explain the plus and minuses of using Node.js instead of PHP
on the server side? What do I lose by using node.js?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Node is fast and AWESOME. It really depends on what your needs are. In my opinion, PHP is becoming a bit outdated. However, it is still the language that I can rapidly deploy something faster than any other language. I have a client who gets about 400k users a month and millions of pageviews. It runs really fast using PHP. It really depends on how you are going to set things up.

PHP has higher demand (but also a lot more competition) of work than Node.JS does.

•••
Node.js is one of the best things happened till now! It eliminates the need to switch between Javascript for browsers and some other language on the server side. Node.js coupled with Javascript enables developers to create a complete website using a single language and thus reduces a lot of work. PHP is complex and is good but needs a lot of efforts to be put in to get the desirable results.

•••
PHP has higher demand (but also a lot more competition) of work than Node.JS does.

Bit of an old post however, hopefully that will change with the imminent release of PHP 7. The footprint has been lowered considerably,

Also a part of the bottleneck is not necessarily PHP but also the http software such as Apache. Nginx offers a greatly increased ability to deal with a larger level of concurrent connections.

•••
Node.js is a type of server-side framework, just like PHP, and also like .NET. They're all perfectly viable in their own right.

A big advantage of using Node is you can use JavaScript on both front and back-end development. A drawback is there are a lot less Node developers than PHP / .NET developers at the present time and that means it will be harder to find support / help if you need it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back