Domain Empire

New Weekly Domain Sales Report Debuts at Domain Name Journal

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I thought you would all be interested in a new weekly column at Domain Name Journal which will list and analyze the Top 5 sales each week at Afternic, as well as those from Sedo and other sales venues (including this forum when applicable). The column will be updated every Saturday with the top sales from the previous week (ending the day before). There is a lot to be learned from what is selling each week and in looking into this I am surprised by how often my idea of what makes a domain name sellable is exploded by some of the names that are actually selling! :-D

The first column is now avalable through this link:

Domain Name Journal - Domain Sales Column

I think if you check out what sold last week and the prices the domains went for, you'll be surprised too!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Very nice.. I enjoyed reading that. Looking forward to next week. Maybe one day a sale of mine will be on there ;)

•••
great reading, keep it up!

•••
Nice feature Duke, I was hoping to see something like this!

•••
Thanks all. This is just a start. I hope we can expand it considerably. I have a note into the head of Sedo.us whom I have worked with before to see it they can break out their sales data for me and just give me the previous week (right now they just show recent sales - no telling how far back they go). Then I would like to get people like BuyDomains, Pool, and other major venues to provide their Top 5 lists as well. Some will co-operate and some won't, but by seeing a cross section fo what is really selling (as opposed to what we THINK should be selling) I think we can all learn something.

Last edited:
•••
This will be a cool feature

•••
Excellent, informative writeup, Ron. Looking forward to more...

Duke does it again!

SlashRoot

•••
excellent! will you be accumulating these lists into a single, perhaps searcheable, webpage?

•••
I heard back from Matthew Bentley at Sedo tonight and they love the idea. They will provide all of the data we need from them. They gave me some good ideas that we will implement as well. Rather than have separate lists for each company, we will compile the top sales into a single master list with the selling venue noted next to each domain. We will also require that sales be those that have completed escrow and changed hands as some reported sales dissolve during that process.

We might also have a second list for the new extensions - info biz and us, so people can track how sales are going in those TLD's (of course if any of them go high enough to make the main list, they would appear there as well). WIth the two biggest aftermarket sites on board, I will now approach other selling venues to get as many as possible to provide their top sales info. We won't get 100% participation as some companies want to keep all of their data private, but I think we will have more than enough to make the list useful to all buyers and sellers.

With the high potential this project has I think we will also give it its own section in DNJ so you can easily access it from the left hand menu from anywhere on the site. If anyof you hear of an important sale at Ebay or any other venue, you can help by letting us know. Once the sale is confirmed and WhoIs updated with the new owner's info, those domains can be included too.

It looks like we will change the weekly update day to Monday as it will be hard for companies to send me sales info on Saturday when many of them are off.

•••
great feature! keep it up.

and sales about dropping names at pool.com, namewinner.com and others would be also interesting.

i see there sames sales almost every month that would be on top five.:)

•••
I was surprised you mentioned the sale of nm3.com in your column. I wonder who sold that one? :bingo:

It was actually sold at the first of September tho, even though I did not get paid till almost a month later.

•••
I thought nm3.com was worthy of mention because 3-character .coms rarely sell for more than a few bucks. Starting with the next report (to be published Tuesday) Sedo will provide us with sales from the previous 7 days so we will be listing only current sales.

Pool, NW and the other auctions usually don't release their sales prices, but people who are invoplved in the auctions can report the final bids to us and if we can verify them we will include them in the lists. They need to be paid for and transferred before we will count them as a sale. There are people who make high bids in the auctions then never pay. NW is sitting on a boatload of names that fradulent bidders never paid for.

•••
True, but some are taken in many extensions below the .com like that one. I think those have a little more demand for them.

Anyway, I am glad you mentioned it :).

•••
Duke, any chance of including sales from eBay in the mix?

•••
Originally posted by -RJ-
Duke, any chance of including sales from eBay in the mix?

Yes. Ebay is not a problem as you can search the previous week's auctions and order them by highest price - so I will be checking their records to include each week. However I think it will be rare for Ebay to be represented among the top sales. It is a poor venue for sellers. The highest .com sale there ALL month was $405 for a 3-letter .com (something like UJQ.com - I looked it up but have since forgotten).

Originally posted by DomainOgre
I was surprised you mentioned the sale of nm3.com in your column. I wonder who sold that one? :bingo:

It was actually sold at the first of September tho, even though I did not get paid till almost a month later.

Yes, if they mean something they can be worthwhile. I wouldn't turn down mp3.com :laugh:

•••
Originally posted by Duke
Yes, if they mean something they can be worthwhile. I wouldn't turn down mp3.com :laugh:

Nor would I ;)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back