.au New rules coming to the .Au domain space

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
Some new rules coming to the Australian domain name space. According to an article on CSCDBS.com the auDA will be putting new rules in place that go into effect on October 5, 2020. Rules apply to both new and existing domain names. What’s changing? Previously, an Australian trademark application or registration may constitute the required Australian presence for an .AU domain name, but the … [Read more...]

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Wait... so they're telling aussie businesses how they must construct their domain name? Or they're preventing others from reg'ing the exact match of a trademark?

Last edited:
•••
Any news other than opening up second-level .au registrations is uninteresting. :xf.rolleyes:

•••
From external point of view, the change does not look too practical. For endusers to begin with... Why they are doing this and what their reasons might be... only AU-based domainers can tell us. Or, maybe it is simply imitation of work by auDA bureaucrats?

•••
April 2019: auDA Policy Outlawing Domaining: Can it work?
source: comlaude

auDA Oct 2019 PDF: auDA Explanatory Guide - Licensing Rules

1. (1) eligibility rules for the.au namespace;
  2. (2) changes to the use of the State and Territory namespaces to include Peak State and Territory bodies;
  3. (3) the use of internationalised domain names in the .au namespace;
  4. (4) the omission of the Domain Monetisation test for com.au and net.au namespaces;
  5. (5) a new prohibition on sub-leasing, renting or otherwise allowing another party to use a
    licence, except where the Person is a related body corporate;
  6. (6) a public interest test to deal with government requests; and
  7. (7) a new suspension power to provide a more proportionate response to non-compliance with
    the Licencing Rules.

•••
Wait... so they're telling aussie businesses how they must construct their domain name? Or they're preventing others from reg'ing the exact match of a trademark?

I think they are saying (again thought here) you could get a .au domain name if you had a trademark to qualify for presence. So you could have a trademark for EQUITY78 but gave me the ability to register Equity.com.au while I live in USA. Now they are saying trademark would have to be EQUITY to own the name.

•••
They just did the same as in Ukrainian .UA where TM Exact Match rule works for many years...

•••
•••
That's dangerous factor to invest cctlds.

•••
Is such a domain worth investing in?

•••
Is such a domain worth investing in?

No you cannot invest in .com.au.

The article doesn't mention that the other requirement is that you have a registered Australian business name matching the domain name.

The system has been designed to stop non-Australians and domain investors from getting into the domain space.

It has been a good solid name space for a number of years, and you can generally trust that an aussie website is legitimate and if something is amiss, the owner can be traced and prosecuted under Australian law.

Last edited:
•••
I think they are saying (again thought here) you could get a .au domain name if you had a trademark to qualify for presence. So you could have a trademark for EQUITY78 but gave me the ability to register Equity.com.au while I live in USA. Now they are saying trademark would have to be EQUITY to own the name.

No, I don't think you have the ability to register Equity.com.au while I live in USA unless you are also a business or company registered in Australia and trading under that exact name.

Last edited:
•••
Even though it is likely not easy for the participants due to various restrictions, including new rules mentioned, aftermarket in au (.com.au) still exists: www.drop.com.au (originally started by good old fabulous.com many years ago) looks to be an operational website, and they report a number of good sales. Obviously, australian presence is a must. There is also Australian Domainers forum (a link to them was not allowed by namepros software once, so I won't repeat).

Last edited:
•••
Even though it is likely not easy for the participants due to various restrictions, including new rules mentioned, aftermarket in au (.com.au) still exists: www.drop.com.au (originally started by good old fabulous.com many years ago) looks to be an operational website, and they report a number of good sales. Obviously, australian presence is a must. There is also Australian Domainers forum (a link to them was not allowed by namepros software once, so I won't repeat).

Thanks @tonyk2000 I had no idea that this type of service even existed in Aus.
Not sure how it operates given the compliance regulations surrounding domain ownership here.

•••
The only issue with Au is if other start to follow their suit.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back