Dynadot

New gTLDs=Dot Ripoffs!!! Don't get suckered!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
The pricing on these new gTLDs are only for the deep pockets to ripoff the average domainer.
Seriously $100's to $1000's for renewal fees. These were only created for the big boys who could bank-roll such crazy pricing. Domains used to be first come fist served. Now with many of these new gtld's it is only for those with large amounts of cash, which is not your average person who domains.

I looked for this topic but could only find a post or two talking about pricing for specific extensions.

Don't give them your money. They are the ones who decide what is a "Premium" gTld domain and not the free market? Will they change your renewal pricing in the future if they determine that your domain has now become a "Premium" domain? I just don't trust them. It seems like they kept or auction off many keywords that only work with a specific extension. This pushes out your average domainer and only helps them and those that can afford to play and pay.

Are they pricing these for the End User? Do we really need a .tech and a .technology, .car and .cars, .sale and .forsale? I seen a .forsale renewal for $39 renewal but a "Premium .forsale" is $1999 renewal....seriously.? If you buy these, you are buying them AS an end user.

People are buying .cn domains and spending tons of cash. What is to stop them from coming out with a .china domain? Yes .cn is shorter than .china but so is .car over .cars and .tech over .technology!!

.XYZ .blackfriday .democrat seriuosly???? I didn't check the pricing on these but man are there some crappy useless extensions out there.

They've really made a lot of cash off you guys that buy into these new gtlds. I do see the value in a good one, but they are ripping you off! I know they can ask whatever they want for them. I'm just saying don't get .suckered.

What extensions do you see as over-priced or useless??? Is there a poll to see if people think the new gtlds are over-priced? If not, should I start one on this thread?

Rant Rant Rant Rant Rant Rant Rant Rant Rant

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well, it's up to each individual to make an appropriate valuation of value, investment, and budget. It's just like any other trade in that aspect. The good thing with capitalism is that demand will eventually change renewal/registration prices.

•••
They came up with the valuations on the premium ones. I just see it as extortion really.

If you buy "whatever.xyz" for non-premium pricing and in the future... "whatever" becomes a very popular term, will or can they change your renewal fees to a premium pricing scale???

•••
The pricing on these new gTLDs are only for the deep pockets to ripoff the average domainer....

Are they pricing these for the End User? Do we really need a .tech and a .technology, .car and .cars, .sale and .forsale? I seen a .forsale renewal for $39 renewal but a "Premium .forsale" is $1999 renewal....seriously.? If you buy these, you are buying them AS an end user.

Depends on the company. Rightside (.forsale) is known for its high pricing. Donuts released thousands of really good domain names as part of its collision list for regular to slightly higher than regular prices. If I remember correctly, this happened in mid 2015.

•••
New GTLDS is obviously a scam. Here is 5 reasons why its NOT business as usual.
1. They hold back good domains ( never happened in com,net info etc)
2. The endusers are no using this crap at all ( never happened in com.net,info etc)
3. The renewal fees is complete scam ( they can change them at any time)
4. Only domainers getting screwed with new GTLDS( end users will never pay these insane prices)
5. GTLDS have 0 value, I mean ZERO. There is no secondary market or liquidity for them.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Great topic! I've been wanting to touch upon this for awhile. Definitely not the players arena anymore. I agree with your extortion assessment.

I believe many, many of the new TLD's are solely geared to the end-user. With the pricing in the thousands of dollars for new registrations + renewals, the statement these registry's are making is clear: Resellers need not apply!

Just look at the .cars, .autos, and .car that were just opened a few days ago for general availability. You're looking at a base cost of over 2k for a single name. The problem is, with fees like those, there's no way the thousands of mom and pop car dealerships will ever get their heads out of the .com sandpit and jump onboard the new TLD wave. Unfortunate if you ask me.

Other examples of hostile TLD pricing are extensions like .rich (2k+), and the completely insane .spreadbetting (30k+).

7HagIAua

Great point on the "premiums". It seems to me registrars found a great excuse to enter the players arena themselves with the new TLD releases. It's like they are putting the resale value right into the initial reg fee (as well as renewal fees in many cases) and simply rebranding the domains as "Premium". In my opinion, it's almost criminal! I mean, who are they to decide what to jack the price up on? As registrars, their job is to provide fair, equal pricing across the board, no matter the name. I've made it a personal rule to never pay a cent towards a name a registrar has deemed "premium registration fee". Screw them.

joBALa5m

I think I'm just echoing much of your rant, but hey, I'm with you on this brother!

•••
I'm going to quote myself.

If you buy "whatever.xyz" for non-premium pricing and in the future... "whatever" becomes a very popular term, will or can they change your renewal fees to a premium pricing scale???

If you own "whatever.xyz" and then drop it or not, then they determine that it has become a "Premium" keyword or term, then they can resell it as a "premium" and price it at whatever they want to. Why couldn't they do that? Why couldn't they change your renewal fee based on whether or not it has become a premium domain? Everything else (.com .net .info) has regular pricing no matter the domain unless being sold by the domain owner!!!!
Trust is a big issue and when they determine what is a premium domain and what to charge for it, then I can't trust them. What's to stop them from doing any of this?? They start their business off by extorting premium domains.....

•••
A common complaint among web developers and small business people trying to register a domain for a website or business was that all the good domains are taken. The reality is in many cases there were many good domains available in domain aftermarkets for $XXX to low $XXXX but just not available for $25. Even small businesses will spend thousands of dollars on all kinds of normal business expenses - advertising, accounting and legal services, website design/development, travel, etc. Larger businesses may spend six figures or more on such expenditures. I am a financial professional so I see the invoices and financial statements. Why companies view their brand as an $XX expenditure is beyond me.

So new TLDs come on to the scene offering keyword availability but who grabs them? Domain investors who think they can sell these inferior alternatives for $XXXX. Yes, the registries offering new TLDs have already determined before the launch date which are the best keywords and will quite often price them as premium or charge premium renewals as well. Those premium prices would be no problem for a business but they are a very high hurdle for an investor given the low sales conversion rate of alternative extensions.

It would benefit all domain investors if end users and web developers placed more value on the domain name for their business than they do on the garbage can in the break room. Perhaps in a few years things may change but I have been in this industry ten years and have not seen growth in end user demand. If anything, my view is that new TLDs have diluted what demand there was and exponentially increased the competition. A few years ago if you had keyword .Net you had a decent lower-cost alternative to the .COM and maybe could sell it for $XXX. Now you are competing with perhaps hundreds of alternatives.

•••
First, let me say that I agree, many of the new gTLD's have been reserved or premium priced in a way that will ensure they won't sell any time soon. We domainers know that end user sales are hard to get as it is. It's almost silly how high they have priced even mediocre names. Forget the fact that right of the dot many of these extensions are useless and will probably disappear in short order.

•••
•••
Some of the new TLDs are awesome.

•••
You don't need to buy them.

Really??? Thanks for letting me know that! You don't have to comment either!

If I did buy one or "need" to buy one and they changed the pricing/renewal fee on me, I would be pretty pissed.

If a small business owner buys one and they decide to change his/her domain to a "Premium" domain and adjust the pricing/renewal fees on them, then they would be extorted. Hello

•••
Great News ... fewrggerwerrew.car is available!

upload_2016-1-24_19-1-45.png

seriously, I like ngTLDs but the above pricing just makes me wonder..

•••
Really??? Thanks for letting me know that! You don't have to comment either!

If I did buy one or "need" to buy one and they changed the pricing/renewal fee on me, I would be pretty pissed.

If a small business owner buys one and they decide to change his/her domain to a "Premium" domain and adjust the pricing/renewal fees on them, then they would be extorted. Hello

a couple thousand dollars a year for web-space is a small and manageable expense for most businesses. I understand you want to buy them for $10 so YOU can sell them to the businesses for thousands but things have changed.

•••
a couple thousand dollars a year for web-space is a small and manageable expense for most businesses. I understand you want to buy them for $10 so YOU can sell them to the businesses for thousands but things have changed.

I don't agree on the 'most businesses' part.

Let's take the .car extension I provided above and let's also pretend that I want to sell brakes.
What do you think I'd do?
a. Pay $3k / year for brakes.car or
b. Pay $10/year for HypersotBrakes.com and spend the rest to create a totally smashing website and/or invest in SEO?

personally, I'd go for (b) as I believe most businesses and startups would do the same. Only the really big ones would do what you say would do.

Also, I think you talk about US only. Any gTLD applies globally but I'm pretty sure here in EU 99% of businesses would prefer a relevant ccTLD over a $3k .car ...

Now, if the renewal costs were 'normal' then there could be a possibility that local businesses would try the ngTLDs over the ccTLDs, but with such high costs, why would they ever do that?

•••
Hello,

I think 90% of my (about) 500 new gTLD have a renewal fee of less than $30. About 50% of them have a renewal fee of $1 - $15 (.WORK, .CLUB, .XYZ, .RED, .CITY, .PICTURES and so on).

I simply try to stay away from the expensive ones. Still I think I have a pretty good gTLD portfolio. I have spent hours and hours, trying to find good names with reasonable renewal fees.

•••

I'm not talking about reselling them! I'm talking about them changing the pricing or whether or not they are "Premium". It doesn't matter who buys them or for how much. It's that they determine what is premium and what price to charge for renewal fees. If I bought it for $10 and they change the renewal fee to $1999 or changed what domains they think are premiums in the future is what I'm talking about.

If I buy tomatotoothpaste.whatever (which is now not a premium term, but in the future it becomes a premium term) what is to stop them from changing my renewal fees due to tomatotoothpaste becoming a premium domain? If you bought for example iphone.whatever(trademark aside) 10yrs ago, it would now be very valuable to you, resellers, business owners, and the registrar if they can say that it is now a premium domain and now charge you "premium" pricing vs a standard pricing. Do you understand what I am saying? (Typed very slowly)

What has changed??? Even if you buy them at $1999 you can still resell them for whatever you want. That hasn't changed. Get some coffee and re-read this thread.

I'll tell you what has changed...the registrars of some of the new gtlds are the ones who determine what is premium.

•••
New GTLDS is obviously a scam. Here is 5 reasons why its NOT business as usual.
5. GTLDS have 0 value, I mean ZERO. There is no secondary market or liquidity for them.

I sold one per week in 2015 in average and I have sold 3 or 4 this year so far... Why, if ZERO value?

I'm obviously not alone... Just check the stats at: www.sold.domains etc.

I sell far more hand-picked / snapped new gTLDs than hand-picked / snapped .COMs, but I spend about the same time searching for them. Why, if ZERO value?

Last edited:
•••
Hello,

I think 90% of my (about) 500 new gTLD have a renewal fee of less than $30. About 50% of them have a renewal fee of $1 - $15 (.WORK, .CLUB, .XYZ, .RED, .CITY, .PICTURES and so on).

I simply try to stay away from the expensive ones. Still I think I have a pretty good gTLD portfolio. I have spent hours and hours, trying to find good names with reasonable renewal fees.
You got one of the
I sold one per week in 2015 in average and I have sold 3 or 4 this year so far... Why, if ZERO value?

I'm obviously not alone... Just check the stats at: www.sold.domains etc.
You got one of the best portfolios I seen on namepros. I am talking about general domain investor in new gtlds.

•••
I also didn't think about this until just now...but all these new gtlds are in ENGLISH.

Using .pictures as and example. What is the french, german, spanish word for pictures and all these new great gtls?

I would think that these registrars would eventually come out with the same extensions but in all languages. Then your market for your .pictures has become smaller. They would be stupid not to come out with these extensions in different languages to rival the .english versions. I just gave them billions more of your hard earned dollars, yen, pesos, euros whatever if they follow up on that idea.

Be careful......just saying.

•••
I think the funny part of all this..'ranting' against these new gTLDs and their pricing and 'lack of easy/cheap accessability' to register them as they come out, is that 'domainers' think all domains should be priced/available for 'their' interest/benefit to grab and hoard so 'they' can be the ones that sell them for the same or more higher amounts. Which is exactly why they are not priced as 'cheaply' as what domainers have been accustomed to. No one is stopping or preventing anyone from grabbing and regging any of these new domains, it just comes down to how badly or how many 'investors' want to 'invest' in and hold to hopefully resell. Same as in physical real estate, the virtual 'Oklahoma Land Rush ' of free and cheap property is over folks. That Manhattan that sold for $24, doesn't even have a closet that would sell for $24 a square foot today. You want to invest in 'property' today from 'developers or land owners', you pay what they ask....or don't!

One thing you can be assured of though, especially as the Internet keeps growing, prices are only going to keep going up, not down!

•••
I think the funny part of all this..'ranting' against these new gTLDs and their pricing and 'lack of easy/cheap accessability' to register them as they come out, is that 'domainers' think all domains should be priced/available for 'their' interest/benefit to grab and hoard so 'they' can be the ones that sell them for the same or more higher amounts. Which is exactly why they are not priced as 'cheaply' as what domainers have been accustomed to. No one is stopping or preventing anyone from grabbing and regging any of these new domains, it just comes down to how badly or how many 'investors' want to 'invest' in and hold to hopefully resell. Same as in physical real estate, the virtual 'Oklahoma Land Rush ' of free and cheap property is over folks. That Manhattan that sold for $24, doesn't even have a closet that would sell for $24 a square foot today. You want to invest in 'property' today from 'developers or land owners', you pay what they ask....or don't!

One thing you can be assured of though, especially as the Internet keeps growing, prices are only going to keep going up, not down!
The fact that they can increase the renewal rates as they choose is the real killer.

•••
We all have opinions on new extensions. However, I think the kind of zany pricing shown above is going to hurt the credibility of new extensions, even if the practice is not representative of all registries.
There is a widespread entitlement mentality when it comes to domain names, and a normal person thinks that charging more than $50 for a domain is a rip-off. Charging 5 or 6 figures not just on registration but on renewal fees looks like a joke, and people usually don't like being taken for fools.

The domain industry has always been the Wild West and it's getting worse imho. It's not being regulated like it should. Do not count on icann to make things right - they created this mess in the first place to justify their existence (and pocket some money).

New extensions are not performing so well (by their own predictions). Some of the reasons are fairly obvious:
  • they are not needed
  • they are not trusted
  • end users are voting with their wallets...
  • end users are not getting it (indeed it's hard to make sense of some TLDs)

•••
Also another huge point everyone is missing. If one of them goes bankrupt. YOU LOSE ALL YOUR DOMAINS!!!!!!! VERISIGN is not likely to go bankrupt. but these guys are!!!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back