IT.COM

guide New GTLD Conflict ??

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

citylines

Established Member
Impact
I have stumbled across what I think is a great name : LL.5L.
There is a domain trademarked in The UK with the words 5L.com
But there is no registered company, just registered as the domain .com & logo
My domain splits the 5L by putting the dot after the first two letters but manages to spell the name that is registered before the .com at the end.

I'm totally confused, so you must be..

Example ; Trademarked domain : cartyres.com no company such as cartyres registered only domain & logo
My domain ; car.tyres obviously these two words match very well.

Can I trademark that domain, is it worth it? should I approach cartyres.com in the hope to sell.
Or should I go to a competitor?
All advice greatly received.
I hope I have got most of my acronyms correct.
I dare say I've broke the rules somewhere I keep being followed around by a fella in a grey suit, taking off my posts, so be quick please, let's hope he's off the weekend B-)
Thanks all.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hmmm I think there a few things to consider, if the domain name has actually 2 words like ur example suggests and both words are actual dictionary words then keep in mind from an SEO perspective, serps will read them as 'Car Tyres" as the main keyword so check out SEM rush and see what sort of search volumes this search term gets along with CPC and competition... this will help you gauge if the domain could be of value or not. (apart from the brandability potential)...

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for your advice, I shall run a few tests, interesting that there is no company registered ?
Although the domain is owned by a big organization.

•••
•••
Thanks Julio for bring that to my attention, it is very delicate area with these new extensions
I think I may have a slight advantage over that particular case as the first word is not a trademark.
Secondly when the word is completed that also is not a registered trademark. However these two words are trademarked as part of a trademark name & also a logo.
So thank you for your input I have a lot to look into & I am grateful for you taking the time to add the link.

I don't know how much bearing this would have but this sentence as well as others struck a chord from the report.

The disputed domain name is <sega.games>, which is identical to the Complainant’s trademark if the gTLD “.games” is ignored. While the gTLD is conventionally to be disregarded for the purposes of assessing confusing similarity, jurisprudence under the UDRP has more recently recognized that in the case of the newer, more descriptive, gTLDs it may in certain cases be of greater relevance.

Once again thanks for your input.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back