IT.COM

question .net vs .online vs .store

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ahmed Rana

OptimaNomina.comUpgraded Member
Impact
Hi, A friend of mine has a jeans business. now he wants an online presence but the .com is taken (but sitting idle). he wants to decide between .net , .online and .store?

Thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'd go with .net. It's half of the renewal fee of .online, and a quarter of the renewal fee of .store. It's also the 4th most common TLD.

Alternatively he could reach out with an offer to the owner of the _______.com, or add a keyword like _______store.com.

•••
Hi, A friend of mine has a jeans business. now he wants an online presence but the .com is taken (but sitting idle). he wants to decide between .net , .online and .store?

Thoughts?

Thanks

Agree with @Astner choices, users don't understand anything else than .com.

Maybe something like bestjeans.store sounds good
(not really) but once you want to send emails, no chance. Try to explain [email protected] to an average customer, no chance. And of course website traffic will be also lost.

Spending 1-2000 on a decent .com domain is the best way to go.

If being reg fee is a must, it is still better to have a long com than a short funny TLD.

•••
New GTLDs and .net are good if 1 word English. If not, it is better use 2 words or 3 words .com. Except 2 words popular like BlueJeans.net, AmericanApparel.net, better use .com I think.

•••
I'd go with .net. It's half of the renewal fee of .online, and a quarter of the renewal fee of .store.

If the business owner (not a domainer) decides to go with .store, they should obviously take advantage of a multi-year sale.

I have no desire to argue with dotcom maximalists, but I find it interesting that MrBeast started using mrbeast.store (and promoting .store):

https://www.namepros.com/threads/store-advertising.1305968/

•••
If the business owner (not a domainer) decides to go with .store, they should obviously take advantage of a multi-year sale.

I have no desire to argue with dotcom maximalists, but I find it interesting that MrBeast started using mrbeast.store (and promoting .store):

https://www.namepros.com/threads/store-advertising.1305968/
you are right, people eventually got to move to other gtlds, but when it comes to the influence of influencers i generally advise others to err on the side of caution, they create a hype, cash a hefty paycheck and fades into obscurity like NFTs werent very long ago

•••
As one of 'the big 3' .net is well established and more well known among websurfing masses.

Last edited:
•••
If you are advertising on Google/FB/whatever then a buyer might not even look at a web address of where the ad is coming from. I suppose the real question is how likely is this business going to succeed and grow to 1m USD annual sales?

Why spend hours or thousands getting the perfect brand name for a wix store that is going to flop?

If this person actually has what it takes and has a unique selling proposition then I would recommend continuing to search for a name where the .com is available. Even if you want to use a .store or something else, you will want the .com to avoid having to pay 3k or 500k later on.

•••
For comparable terms, .NET by a wide margin.

It is widely used and known.

Pretty much everyone who sees it will instantly recognize it is a domain name.

Either that, or just settle for a longer .COM.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I'd go with .net. It's half of the renewal fee of .online, and a quarter of the renewal fee of .store. It's also the 4th most common TLD.

Alternatively he could reach out with an offer to the owner of the _______.com, or add a keyword like _______store.com.
Amen. It’s my personal #2 favorite.
Cant spell internet without net!
Also, tell your friend to checkout He.com, Slideshare.com

Last edited:
•••
If its a existing established business go with .com by adding words like - the______.com, _______city name.com , _____shop.com or by adding different keywords at start / end of .com

Last edited:
•••
Btw, who are his customers? .net is multilingual, .store and many other new extensions are quite English-centric.

•••
Btw, who are his customers? .net is multilingual, .store and many other new extensions are quite English-centric.
client base is mostly in south asia and middle east. english is understood widely in these regions

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back