legal Net Neutrality Has Been Repealed!

NameSilo
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
I just read that...

F.C.C. Repeals Net Neutrality Rules
WASHINGTON — The Federal Communications Commission voted on Thursday to dismantle rules regulating the businesses that connect consumers to the internet, granting broadband companies the power to potentially reshape Americans’ online experiences.

The agency scrapped the so-called net neutrality regulations that prohibited broadband providers from blocking websites or charging for higher-quality service or certain content. The federal government will also no longer regulate high-speed internet delivery as if it were a utility, like phone service.

Full Story: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/14/technology/net-neutrality-repeal-vote.html

How will this change things?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
those that don't realize the impact of this, are on a pink cloud. I can already see "PLEASE UPGRADE TO READ FULL TEXT".....
Yes, I noticed first thing this morning that one of my favorite reads has changed to charging for full articles. At first this morning, unusually, the site was showing yesterdays news. When the site finally updated, many of the articles are only previews now. By the way, its WashingtonPost.com.

•••
Rebel without a cause.
My cause is keeping our Country and the Internet out of the hands of multi-billion dollar Corporations, your cause appears to be quite the opposite.

•••
I still am not 100% clear on the full scope of ramifications, but I can tell you on a practical level, it appears that content providers are already ramping up monetizing their content. I can only imagine that ISP's are looking for ways to monetize in the absence of Net Neutrality laws.

Am I right about this?

•••
My cause is keeping our Country and the Internet out of the hands of multi-billion dollar Corporations, your cause appears to be quite the opposite.

I like billion dollar corporations. They built the foundation and laid the "pipe" for the Internet you're using to complain..

•••
I think most net neutrality dooms day scenarios, including the death of the Internet as a free market, do not take into account improving / new technology.
People like yourself keep saying innovation and new technology but never say how getting rid of net neutrality will accomplish this.
I like billion dollar corporations. They built the foundation and laid the "pipe" for the Internet you're using to complain..
Not entirely true but regardless...if these billion dollar corporations don't do the following, maybe it won't be so bad

- take money to make some sites faster than others
- block competitor apps or sites
- take money to block sites or block sites themselves for political or monetary reasons
- chop up the internet and start charging for certain access like facebook subscription, twitter subscription, netflix, etc

•••
People like yourself keep saying innovation and new technology but never say how getting rid of net neutrality will accomplish this.

New tech can disrupt business models, higher speed lines, new competitors, etc. NN is an unneeded regulation in my opinion.

Google is deploying an open air, as in no-wires, data network using lasers. 5G is around the corner, 10 gigabits per second!

Not entirely true but regardless...if these billion dollar corporations don't do the following, maybe it won't be so bad

- take money to make some sites faster than others
- block competitor apps or sites
- take money to block sites or block sites themselves for political or monetary reasons
- chop up the internet and start charging for certain access like facebook subscription, twitter subscription, netflix, etc

The last three on your list are already illegal.

Last edited:
•••
Major internet providers slowing traffic speeds for thousands across US
Study finds significant degradations of networks for five largest ISPs, including AT&T and Time Warner, representing 75% of all wireline households in US

Sam Thielman in New York
Monday 22 June 2015 10.58 EDT

Major internet providers, including AT&T, Time Warner and Verizon, are slowing data from popular websites to thousands of US businesses and residential customers in dozens of cities across the country, according to a study released on Monday.

The study, conducted by internet activists BattlefortheNet, looked at the results from 300,000 internet users and found significant degradations on the networks of the five largest internet service providers (ISPs), representing 75% of all wireline households across the US.

The findings come weeks after the Federal Communications Commission introduced new rules meant to protect “net neutrality” – the principle that all data is equal online – and keep ISPs from holding traffic speeds for ransom....

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jun/22/major-internet-providers-slowing-traffic-speeds

Verizon caught throttling Netflix traffic even after its pays for more bandwidth
Joel Hruska on July 20, 2014 at 7:08 am
https://www.extremetech.com/computi...raffic-even-after-its-pays-for-more-bandwidth

4 bad things Internet companies can't do anymore -- if the FCC gets its way
by Jose Pagliery @Jose_PaglieryFebruary 5, 2015: 2:01 PM ET

http://money.cnn.com/2015/02/05/technology/fcc-net-neutrality-cases/index.html

Currently the US ranks 46th in average internet speeds right behind
Yes, I noticed first thing this morning that one of my favorite reads has changed to charging for full articles. At first this morning, unusually, the site was showing yesterdays news. When the site finally updated, many of the articles are only previews now. By the way, its WashingtonPost.com.

WaPo is Amazon....
I wonder how many of these thought leaders supported the U.S. Government transfering the management of the domain name system to ICANN ?

•••
•••
I am 100% certain that as of yesterday my internet speed slowed dramatically. I actually had to reset my connection and finally got it moving but it definitely was slowed from the provider level.

Not sure whats actually happening.

•••
•••
By this logic the billion dollar companies that built and repair the interstate should determine who drives on it, where they can / cannot go, who gets to drive in the 'fast lanes' and what the toll price is gonna be -by destination (theme parks and stadiums, etc. = more traffic = higher toll). By content (popular goods = higher toll), and by weight (more load = higher toll).

Net (traffic) Neutrality prevented this type of 'highway robbery'. And, the information 'super highway' principles were based on (Eisenhower's) Interstate Freeway project. Also, both were initially built with considerable Defense Dept. funds as key lines of national defense in case of attack, by ground, or nuclear.

The mutual, 'neutral', open access, principles of the freeway and super highway built the backbone of modern American prosperity as the low cost of trucking goods touched every product from the 1950's to todays Amazon.

New tech can disrupt business models, higher speed lines, new competitors, etc. NN is an unneeded regulation in my opinion. Google is deploying an open air, as in no-wires, data network using lasers. 5G is around the corner, 10 gigabits per second!

A "New tech = solution" argument acknowledges the need to work-around problems caused by the repeal of Net Neutrality.

Beyond that, cable and telephone ISPs have local franchise agreements and other territorial contracts that keep competitors, like Google out. Overcoming those legal barriers is a long, expensive, community by community process. Also, virtual all of the 'public airwaves' spectrum has been sold. Getting in back will require a violation of the public trust, billion$, a revolution or some other rare event.

Nonetheless, there are alternatives in the works -but they are mostly outside the box new paradigms that will be free from the forces that are destroying the world's first web.

•••
By this logic the billion dollar companies that built and repair the interstate should determine who drives on it, where they can / cannot go, who gets to drive in the 'fast lanes' and what the toll price is gonna be -by destination (theme parks and stadiums, etc. = more traffic = higher toll). By content (popular goods = higher toll), and by weight (more load = higher toll).

Net (traffic) Neutrality prevented this type of 'highway robbery'. And, the information 'super highway' principles were based on (Eisenhower's) Interstate Freeway project. Also, both were initially built with considerable Defense Dept. funds as key lines of national defense in case of attack, by ground, or nuclear.

The mutual, 'neutral', open access, principles of the freeway and super highway built the backbone of modern American prosperity as the low cost of trucking goods touched every product from the 1950's to todays Amazon.

A "New tech = solution" argument acknowledges the need to work-around problems caused by the repeal of Net Neutrality.

Beyond that, cable and telephone ISPs have local franchise agreements and other territorial contracts that keep competitors, like Google out. Overcoming those legal barriers is a long, expensive, community by community process. Also, virtual all of the 'public airwaves' spectrum has been sold. Getting in back will require a violation of the public trust, billion$, a revolution or some other rare event.

Nonetheless, there are alternatives in the works -but they are mostly outside the box new paradigms that will be free from the forces that are destroying the world's first web.
Wonderfully said.

•••
I do not care about political parties, this is common sense.

Internet providers know this is the last thing they can do against the growth of new technologies and companies that threaten his business. in fact I do not think that in 20 years there is still the same business model, so this is a war against development and the future.

And if you do not believe this possible, tell me, what current providers could do against a service like Google Fiber ?

don't be evil :)

Last edited:
•••
Guys, the so called "Net Neutrality" regulations that the FCC repealed have only been in place for 2 years. What was the internet like at the end of 2015? That is all it is.

I for one am happy to see any government (in this case the US government) stay the heck out of everything in business.

To say you want the govt to regulate the ISP's instead of the market doing so, is saying that you are okay with the govt regulating your holding or selling your domain names. Is holding on and not selling your name to someone at their low-ball offer price the same thing as throttling? Wow we better get the FCC to make a regulation to that effect and force the movement of names to people that are not willing to pay true valuation of that name. (SARCASM intended)

It is not the end of the world. The capitalistic marketplace will sort things out, just as it did in the creation of what we have had and continue to have in what we know as the internet.

Everybody needs to pop a xanax, valuim or a fifth of vodka and relax. (y)

•••
Guys, the so called "Net Neutrality" regulations that the FCC repealed have only been in place for 2 years. What was the internet like at the end of 2015? That is all it is.

I for one am happy to see any government (in this case the US government) stay the heck out of everything in business.

To say you want the govt to regulate the ISP's instead of the market doing so, is saying that you are okay with the govt regulating your holding or selling your domain names. Is holding on and not selling your name to someone at their low-ball offer price the same thing as throttling? Wow we better get the FCC to make a regulation to that effect and force the movement of names to people that are not willing to pay true valuation of that name. (SARCASM intended)

It is not the end of the world. The capitalistic marketplace will sort things out, just as it did in the creation of what we have had and continue to have in what we know as the internet.

Everybody needs to pop a xanax, valuim or a fifth of vodka and relax. (y)

You know why the American army is not from a private corporation ?

because they would be called mercenaries.

This problem is much more complicated than the old thinking of whether the government should or should not legislate.

•••
I just found this, via twitter

" In Portugal, with no net neutrality, internet providers are starting to split the net into packages. "
URL : https://www.meo.pt/internet/internet-movel/telemovel/pacotes-com-telemovel

Screenshot_1.png

Last edited:
•••
I am 100% certain that as of yesterday my internet speed slowed dramatically. I actually had to reset my connection and finally got it moving but it definitely was slowed from the provider level.

Not sure whats actually happening.

The vote was was made, but implementation is months in the making. I truly think that whatever happened is not a result of the FCC vote.

This problem is much more complicated than the old thinking of whether the government should or should not legislate.

I could not disagree with you more. The LESS government interference there is, the better for ANY business. I am 59 and I remember as a teen and early 20's the aviation industry was VERY highly regulated. The Govt determined to which city a carrier could fly, costs for tickets were high, because the govt regulated prices. When the airlines were deregulated there were cries of fear that the airlines could charge whatever they wanted, and the airlines would only fly to big cities, and on and on and on. Then the capital markets took over and a company called People Express Airline was formed in 1980 becoming the first major "Low Cost" carrier. The cut fares drastically, started flying to secondary airports, made flight costs affordable to the average traveler. They made up for the lower ticket prices with high service and filled planes. Thus more low cost airlines were formed and the major carriers were forced by mere market conditions to lower fares and serve airports that were more convenient to customers.

Many of those carriers that did not adjust are now non-existent; TWA, Eastern, National. The market of capitalism kicked in, as it always does in a vacuum, and creates solutions that are impossible to be created under the burden of bureaucratic regulation.

One example of over regulation today that would be fixed by deregulation in my own county (Lee County Florida) The State of Florida has government agency that has to approve any new hospital rooms in the state. If a hospital is overcrowded and wants to convert a sitting area into more rooms, it can not unless approved to add the beds (Then they have to get the building permit approvals, etc) Our county has 4 hospitals which are constantly overcrowded. Enough so, that earlier this year my father-in-law had to be kept on a stretcher in the halls of the Emergency Room for 72 hours until a room opened for him to be admitted (and they have 349 beds) This is a constant problem with our local hospitals.

The hospital company wanted to build a new hospital in an area of the county that was without a hospital, in order to relieve the over crowding. The regulators in the state capital said that there was not a need for new beds and rejected the proposal. This is a case where patient care is being throttled by regulators and could be blown wide open by the free market.

And by the way a huge part of the US Military is privatized and has been since the Revolutionary War.

The Creeping Privatization of America's Armed Forces - Newsweek
www.newsweek.com/creeping-privatization-americas-forces-616347
May 28, 2017 - We have used military contractors in every major conflict since the American Revolution. ... In other words, about half of our armed forces is outsourced to private military contractors.

•••
The vote was was made, but implementation is months in the making. I truly think that whatever happened is not a result of the FCC vote.

I could not disagree with you more. The LESS government interference there is, the better for ANY business. I am 59 and I remember as a teen and early 20's the aviation industry was VERY highly regulated. The Govt determined to which city a carrier could fly, costs for tickets were high, because the govt regulated prices. When the airlines were deregulated there were cries of fear that the airlines could charge whatever they wanted, and the airlines would only fly to big cities, and on and on and on. Then the capital markets took over and a company called People Express Airline was formed in 1980 becoming the first major "Low Cost" carrier. The cut fares drastically, started flying to secondary airports, made flight costs affordable to the average traveler. They made up for the lower ticket prices with high service and filled planes. Thus more low cost airlines were formed and the major carriers were forced by mere market conditions to lower fares and serve airports that were more convenient to customers.

Many of those carriers that did not adjust are now non-existent; TWA, Eastern, National. The market of capitalism kicked in, as it always does in a vacuum, and creates solutions that are impossible to be created under the burden of bureaucratic regulation.

One example of over regulation today that would be fixed by deregulation in my own county (Lee County Florida) The State of Florida has government agency that has to approve any new hospital rooms in the state. If a hospital is overcrowded and wants to convert a sitting area into more rooms, it can not unless approved to add the beds (Then they have to get the building permit approvals, etc) Our county has 4 hospitals which are constantly overcrowded. Enough so, that earlier this year my father-in-law had to be kept on a stretcher in the halls of the Emergency Room for 72 hours until a room opened for him to be admitted (and they have 349 beds) This is a constant problem with our local hospitals.

The hospital company wanted to build a new hospital in an area of the county that was without a hospital, in order to relieve the over crowding. The regulators in the state capital said that there was not a need for new beds and rejected the proposal. This is a case where patient care is being throttled by regulators and could be blown wide open by the free market.

And by the way a huge part of the US Military is privatized and has been since the Revolutionary War.

The Creeping Privatization of America's Armed Forces - Newsweek
www.newsweek.com/creeping-privatization-americas-forces-616347
May 28, 2017 - We have used military contractors in every major conflict since the American Revolution. ... In other words, about half of our armed forces is outsourced to private military contractors.

see my previous post, an example of an internet without regulation.

•••
•••
•••
see my previous post, an example of an internet without regulation.

See my previous post regarding my previous post. :xf.smile: The market in Portugal or in most of Europe is not as free market based as is the United States

•••
See my previous post regarding my previous post. :xf.smile: The market in Portugal or in most of Europe is not as free market based as is the United States
In facto i translate for you from that page :

Screenshot_2.png

Escolha uma Smart Net à sua medida. 1º mês grátis

Choose a Smart Net for you. Free 1st month

•••
Nope, did not miss that, That is the exact graphic that Snopes was fact checking.

•••
@gipson I am heading to bed now. We might pick this up again tomorrow. But please look at my illustrations of airlines and hospitals

•••
Repealing net neutrality has always been about one thing and one thing only... greed.
This is a big step backwards and a truly sad moment in the history of human technological advancement.
Some things are just not meant to be tiered because doing so simply hampers creativity and progress.
Not only that but there's a chance they might end up breaking everything because of this decision.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back