Domain Empire

.net domains live now?

NameSilo
Watch
In the past year and now very many new domain extensions but how .net extension feel itself around others? I always be a fan of .net domains.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I like .net very much too

•••
•••
•••
if any alternative to .com exists - it is .net followed by .org - the logical (reference to new gTLDs).

•••
I don't know if .net will ever get popular. It's too new. Only time will tell. ;)

•••
if any alternative to .com exists - it is .net followed by .org - the logical (reference to new gTLDs).
Whilst that is correct in principle, i also think some names may suit the .org over a dot net. The best example I can think of now is recently I handregged MediDrone dotnet and the dotorg was availble too. In this c ase I much prefer the domain having the dotorg extension as it is more of a humanatarian-esque name. Of course, most of the time, the dotnet will be the prefrable option.

I also like dotnets. :)

•••
Dot net was first used in 1985

•••
Dot net was first used in 1985
First .com registered in 1985 too.
It is .net at once after .com or 2nd after .com was .org?

•••
I like .net, I often prefer it to .com

•••
I've got my first name as a .NET so I like it :)

From the investing perspective, I'd say it's not either good or bad. It's just tricky.

•••
.Net is loosing its shine IMO.
I have just one .net left in my repo.

Trying to get rid of it.

•••
My Opinion: .NET has no established identity. It's only worthwhile if you have a short or premium .net domain(xyz.net, hy.net, media.net etc). It eats .COMs leftovers... I've seen time and time again the .com and .org taken and i wondered why would this be if .net is the so-called second best? But I realized it's because .org is established for non-profits, organizations, even blogs. .Net is losing it's shine, or I should say it's Appeal.

Last edited:
•••
My Opinion: .NET has no established identity. It's only worthwhile if you have a short or premium .net domain(xyz.net, hy.net, media.net etc). It eats .COMs leftovers... I've seen time and time again the .com and .org taken and i wondered why would this be if .net is the so-called second best? But I realized it's because .org is established for non-profits, organizations, even blogs. .Net is losing it's shine.

.net was never intended to have shine, it was intended for infrastructure, not commerce sites - that was .com.

But some of us prefer the subtle nature of .net over the blatant commercial implication .com, especially for sites where the primary function is not to sell stuff.

I guess it all depends on how you look at the web.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back