NameSilo

Need your advice , Developing an Article Directory

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

AMAN13

Restricted (Market)
Impact
Hi,

I am developing an article directory with a little twist. I have access to more than 7 million publicly available (reprintable) articles from a source. But i'm feeling a little hesitated that should i use those article in my article directory or not? or Should i start from scratch ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Why an article directory?
So many now, another one is just fluff.
Are those 7 million articles broken down by category or niche?

•••
I just want to experiment that content/articles can drive traffic , this is a part of my upcoming project.
Yes articles are categorized , thanks

•••
I have access to more than 7 million publicly available (reprintable) articles from a source.

@AMAN13

1) You need to consider search engine penalty for duplicate content.

2) Any search engine would red flag your site for suddenly having 7 million articles, even few thousand new pages would cause your site to be flagged for manual review, and if these pages turn out be duplicate content, my guess is penalty will be heavy.

Search engines rate fresh and 'relevant' content above everything else. You need to consider what value your new pages, reprintable or fresh, add to you site.

If you are doing this only as an experiment, and don't care about search engine penalty, then my suggestion would be, to not make this site a source of income, and not have paid links or Ads. A FAQ/About page describing your experiment would also help. If you have Ads running on this site, your Ad account might get closed which would impact any other sites you have.

•••
Articles from multiple sources will be better.

•••
Thanks DNVantage ,

I know about Google penalty and publishers rules, and this site is not for making money. I want to experiment that how many visitors/authors will reach my site with this amount of content? I will add all necessary information in FAQ section. Thanks once again for giving your time and valuable information.

@AMAN13

1) You need to consider search engine penalty for duplicate content.

2) Any search engine would red flag your site for suddenly having 7 million articles, even few thousand new pages would cause your site to be flagged for manual review, and if these pages turn out be duplicate content, my guess is penalty will be heavy.

Search engines rate fresh and 'relevant' content above everything else. You need to consider what value your new pages, reprintable or fresh, add to you site.

If you are doing this only as an experiment, and don't care about search engine penalty, then my suggestion would be, to not make this site a source of income, and not have paid links or Ads. A FAQ/About page describing your experiment would also help. If you have Ads running on this site, your Ad account might get closed which would impact any other sites you have.

•••
•••
PLR? Even presuming the source and licenses are legit, why would someone go to site A instead of site B, C, D, E, or F that all have the same content? Is yours mobile-friendly / responsive? Faster server? If you're hoping to outrank existing pages with the same content, that's a tough way to go.

Start small would be my advice.

•••
Thanks Chris,

Your advice and logic is very useful to me. I don't want to outrank any existing page. As i wrote earlier it is only an experiment for my next project. I will publish articles with all it's credit to their respective authors.
One more question i want to ask - I read somewhere i can't use "Nofollow" tag while using repritable articles.
Please clear this to me if you know. thanks
PLR? Even presuming the source and licenses are legit, why would someone go to site A instead of site B, C, D, E, or F that all have the same content? Is yours mobile-friendly / responsive? Faster server? If you're hoping to outrank existing pages with the same content, that's a tough way to go.

Start small would be my advice.

•••
Thank you everyone for your valuable suggestions and advice. I read a lot about article directories and now i have decided i'll start from scratch. It will take time and there is very rare chance to make money from it, but that's not my goal with his project. I hope this will worth my effort and time for developing donatecontent.com, I'm still working on it but if anyone want to donate their articles they are more then welcome :) http://donatecontent.com

•••
Posting duplicate content on your site isn't going to bring you any traffic. I don't think you'll find many people willing to donate content for free.

•••
Thanks Ablaye for your advice, I already decided to not include duplicate content on my site. I also think many people will not donate their content for free, but i am getting responses even before launching my site and that's encouraging enough for me. :)

•••
You have to re-written that all articles and need to add slowly and slowly that you can do!!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back