Dynadot

Nameserver ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Looking for a bit of knowledge on nameservers..

Am I correct in saying that you are supposed to remove the current\original nameservers when changing them to your webhost server?

Am I also correct in saying that once you remove the original registrar nameservers, you will not be able to access the domain admin (in my case, vDeck) of your registrar?

It appears that is how it is.. I'm not sure how I am supposed to change the nameservers (again) now. ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hope this helps...

If you are trying to set the domain name so that it resolves to a new server (maybe a new site hosting account?) you will need to set the nameservers to whatever the new hosting account specifies. When you do this you will "over-write" the original nameserver information. Normally, you will only have 2 nameservers specified.

For example, when I buy a domain at DirectNIC the nameservers are automatically set (by default) to ns1.zzzzz.com and ns2.zzzzz.com. When I setup a hosting account at my server I have to change those "DirectNIC" nameservers to my new server settings so I change them to ns1.newserver.com and ns2.newserver.com.

If you delete the nameservers completely you should still be able to access your domain account... just that the domain will not resolve anywhere. I can't imagine that it would prevent you from being able to login and update the domain information.

Ron

•••
DomainPhil said:
If you delete the nameservers completely you should still be able to access your domain account... just that the domain will not resolve anywhere. I can't imagine that it would prevent you from being able to login and update the domain information.
Ron
Correct. The two have nothing to do with one another (albiet some registrars will not allow you to empty the name-servers without having replacements there). There are many domains (even some of the most valuable) that have no name-servers assigned to them. They just don't go anywhere (no webpage and no email services).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back