IT.COM

status-monitor NamePros Marketplace Certified Credibility

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
Something I would like to discuss......

I notice new members with hardly any posts are using the marketplace. I am often leery about that and I had an idea which I thought might make a good discussion topic.

If we had a certified marketplace section that only allowed people who actually had a real domaining website or marketplace it would go a long way to building trust.

So we would have a certified marketplace and a standard marketplace. Standard open to anyone and certified only to actual certified domainers (different from contributing members which is a status you can pay for).

I know someone had mentioned the possible use of real names but that would become a facebook like nightmare for namepros. Instead make it a real domain re-seller.

So to become certified to use that marketplace you would need.....

- An actual running website showing domains for sale
- Website running for a said period of time (ie 6 months)
- Standard marketplace rating of lets say 5 perfect score
- etc etc

So in a nutshell, namepros already has business accounts so it would be an easy transition to certify those members that have a solid history and a real domaining website. The feedback score is a great tool but it still means you may be dealing with someone with a generic name. I'm not sure why a professional marketplace should allow a blake or jones1578 or a kitty1487 as opposed to KingDomains with a registered address of KingDomains.com.

Additionally the conversations would stay more professional when attached to a business profile instead of a generic user name.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I believe there is the business marketplace which is accessible only to business members

•••
But some new members sign up for business accounts immediately. Like @MapleDots (maybe it's Canadian caution kicking in) I am very leery of new members posting names for sale, or requesting names, sometimes on their very first day on NamePros.

•••
If I see a name on auction here that I like for example, I will ask the seller to push to me first if I win. Only real way I feel safe with new accounts that are not necessarily trustworthy.

If they decline I also decline my bid or offer.

•••
I believe there is the business marketplace which is accessible only to business members

As in members that buy in but I am not sure if they run any checks.
Do they verify they have a website and a trackable address if someone does business with them?

•••
But some new members sign up for business accounts immediately. Like @MapleDots (maybe it's Canadian caution kicking in) I am very leery of new members posting names for sale, or requesting names, sometimes on their very first day on NamePros.

Getting a Business Membership on namePros (correct me if I am wrong) only means you paid for it. I don't think anyone has verified that there is a website. A business certification to me would be someone that uses their business (or personal) name and has a website you can visit to verify you are dealing with a legitimate domainer.

What I am asking... certified is different than paying for a business membership.

I guess I could be JoWho9854 and still can a business membership and be brand new and nobody has any idea who or what business I am.

•••
If I see a name on auction here that I like for example, I will ask the seller to push to me first if I win. Only real way I feel safe with new accounts that are not necessarily trustworthy.

If they decline I also decline my bid or offer.
Don't you think it's against Namepros auction rule?

•••
•••
Pushing domain first & then making payment?

On many domain marketplace we need to pay first, then the seller push domain. I am not sure about here, may be @Eric Lyon give some light!

•••
well there was just a day ago an auction with highest bid around $20 and suddely you see this brand new member 1 day old with all zeros everywhere posting 5000$ as next bid.

so i tagged Eric and he cleaned up

I dunno.. maybe think of something to prevent new members from buying/selling altogether..

many options.. but the general idea is to test their seriousness about domaining and namepros.. and one good way to do it is post counts.. so say, min 100 posts required before they can buy/sell.. its not the posts that matter.. but rather the time to look around, learn etc.. but like I said there could be several options.. i am not saying this is bulletproof solution. there may be no such thing.. but it would sure as heck greatly reduce problematic cases.

easy to implement too.

waht do you think @Eric Lyon ?

Last edited:
•••
Pushing domain first & then making payment?

On many domain marketplace we need to pay first, then the seller push domain. I am not sure about here, may be @Eric Lyon give some light!

Not against any rule. Both parties agree nothing wrong with it. (y)

•••
I think namePros is a domaining website and as a domainer you should have a business name (registered or not, I know a lot of private sellers) but anyone selling at verified status should have a valid website, whois visible, verifiable status.

Would be an option, if you don't want to be certified then do do it. If you want that status then use your business name, website, show whois and get certified seller status.

Just an idea but it makes sense to me....

•••
We have plans to add a verified account status for buyers and sellers, but it will be up to buyers and sellers whether they use it as a filter (it'll be optional). For instance, sellers will be able to require that only verified buyers can bid on their auction or they can let everyone bid.

Until then, we have the Business Class Marketplace which is only accessible by VIP members and members who have purchased a Business Account. While new members can technically purchase a Business Account on day 1 of joining, that usually indicates that they're more serious about their place in the domain industry and we see far fewer issues from members with upgraded subscriptions compared to new members who haven't upgraded. So while Business Class might not be the perfect solution, the credibility of the members inside of it are generally a lot higher compared to the completely open marketplace that has new members that haven't upgraded.

Another option is that sellers could handle the credibility vetting themselves, but it would be a lot of work on their part. However, there's nothing stopping a seller from doing this:
  1. State at the beginning of the auction that everyone who bids must be approved by the seller before they can bid.
  2. Buyers send a DM to the seller asking for permission, and the seller decides if the request is granted.
  3. Seller keeps updating a list of approved bidders in the first post of the auction thread, and anyone who bids must be in that list at the time of their bid.

Hope that helps,

•••
As for who pays or transfers the domain first, we don't have any rules on that. That is up to the buyer and seller to agree upon. However, we should probably add a default for cases where it's not specified before the deal is made.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention,

•••
Thanks @Eric.

I am a new Member here, but was into Domaining for around 5yrs now unsuccessful. I am new on open platforms like Namespro and joined as Business account on Day1 because I am serious about it. I read through the rules, but still commit some blunders and getting better each day. I might be greedy, But that doesn't mean I will mess around with people. There are many people who come here like me and as in any open forum and Markets there are lots of notorious accounts as well.

Like @alcy mentioned there was a illicit bet on one of the Auction, which is spotted and addressed.

If people are serious about it, they should be OK to prove their credentials, what ever the forum demands.

•••
I don't see much sales happening in Exclusive / Business class only section. Most of them happening in Normal sales area, which is open to everyone.

nP Marketplace Certified Credibility, if implemented, would be a certification and won't guarantee any credibility in actual. We domainers do business based on trust. You can't expect a normal member with '0' sales/trade reviews to be a scammer and a person with 100+ reviews to be genuine all the time.

Remember, all of us started with '0' reviews at some time and gained trust. We have to show that trust in new members too.

•••
I don't see much sales happening in Exclusive / Business class only section. Most of them happening in Normal sales area, which is open to everyone.

nP Marketplace Certified Credibility, if implemented, would be a certification and won't guarantee any credibility in actual. We domainers do business based on trust. You can't expect a normal member with '0' sales/trade reviews to be a scammer and a person with 100+ reviews to be genuine all the time.

Remember, all of us started with '0' reviews at some time and gained trust. We have to show that trust in new members too.

Perfect example is your profile Brandsmart and your web address, easily verifiable for namepros. POst above yours Sathyam is a profile that shows no business credential of any kind, Brandmart could get certified and Sathyam could not until he entered a business identity, website with whois active etc.

It would be optional to get certified status and Sathyam could continue how he wants but certified seller status would be a coveted title because it assures you are doing business with a domainer.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back