IT.COM

NameDrive DDOS Attack

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

NameDriver

Account Closed (Disallowed)
Impact
Hi guys,

We're currently experiencing a massive DDOS attack and have therefore been experiencing connection difficulties. We apologise for any inconvenience and you will, of course, be compensated for your lost earnings.
We apologise for the inconvenience.

Ed

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
wow, sux to be u guys.

NameDriver said:
Hi guys,

We're currently experiencing a massive DDOS attack and have therefore been experiencing connection difficulties. We apologise for any inconvenience and you will, of course, be compensated for your lost earnings.
We apologise for the inconvenience.

Ed

•••
Hi guys,

Certainly does...

The attack is really big and is coming from Verizon IPs (a big US provider) but we've got an army of people looking to pummel whoever's got nothing better to do on a rainy Thursday.
The compensation will run into thousands, but we'll make sure that you are not losing out on any of the earnings and that you are all fully compensated.

Sorry again for the inconvenience.

Ed

•••
mrizos said:
wow, sux to be u guys.

Thanks for adding a well-balanced, articulate insight to this problem.

Really, was this necessary?

Best of luck getting the problem fixed, Ed.

•••
Ed,

I wish you all the best with this mate, I've been on the receiving end of a DOS attack with my company servers before so i know the stress levels you are experiencing.. Bastards that do this should be hung by there short and curlys!!!

•••
Thanks for the information. I do appreciate what you're going through with a DDOS attack, but I'm starting to think I'm cursed as far as Namedrive is concerned.

- Last week I moved 200+ domains over to Namedrive (new account)

- Sunday I asked for assistance with optimization

- Monday I got an email saying my account was suspended for breach of TOC. After emailing three times for an explanation/clarification, I gave up and moved all my domains back to SEDO.

- Monday night I got a response offering me help with my optimization request (!)

- Wednesday I got several emails apologizing profusely for the erroneous suspension, and my account was reinstated.

- Wednesday night I moved 230 domains BACK to Namedrive, and set up all the categories, keywords and templates for them

- Today they're down all day.

<sigh>

Last edited:
•••
Wow netmeg.. That is a run-around if I've ever seen one.. LOL

IMO NameDrive is a good parking company and I've never had any problems.

I was wondering what was going on, I've been trying to check my stats for a while now.. lol

I hope my computer isn't involved in the attack, I do have some adware or spyware or viruses I need to clean up, I think I'll do the scans now and see what I can quarentine.. LOL:)

I hope it all gets fixed.

BTW: How is it possible to calculate lost revenue? If the parking pages are not appearing then how do you know how may clicks I lost today? I tried to visit some of my parked names earlier and nothing appears. So how can you track lost earnings? Or are you just going to do an average of the past 30 days, find the daily average then credit that to my account for the number of hours the site was down?

Just curious, no big deal, I know this is not your fault.

GG

•••
Honestly, I feel bad for you guys at ND right now.

Personally, if I were still at ND, I wouldn't fight for lost earnings, you provide a great free service [Even if you do ban people for absolutely no reason :(, no hard feelings :)], It's not like you are getting the money, and just not giving it.

People should be more greatful for what they have for free, like NameDrive, they can eat 12 hours worth of revenue.

But thats just my idea.

Good luck with it all.

Ryan

•••
OctaneInv said:
Honestly, I feel bad for you guys at ND right now.

Personally, if I were still at ND, I wouldn't fight for lost earnings, you provide a great free service [Even if you do ban people for absolutely no reason :(, no hard feelings :)], It's not like you are getting the money, and just not giving it.

People should be more greatful for what they have for free, like NameDrive, they can eat 12 hours worth of revenue.

But thats just my idea.

Good luck with it all.

Ryan

I second Ryan's sentiment about the "lost" opportunities.

Best wishes to you and your team to get back up and running again!

Also, Ed, it would be great if you can provide us with updates so that we don't attempt to visit ND before everything has been settled.

•••
Ed,

Sorry to hear this, best of luck and I hope you can trace out the skiddys.

Peace,
Cy

•••
NameDriver:

While I do appreciate the information regarding the DDOS attack and have full confidence that you and your team are doing everything they can to remedy it, I don't think your method of communicating this to customers is adequate.

Why not email your actual customers, rather than posting on some 3rd party message board?

I really think you could take the time to send a broadcast email to customers indicating that there is a problem. I should not have to stumble upon this posting on namepros.com forum to know something is wrong.

Thank you for providing a great and fair service with namedrive.com. This is just some constructive criticism to make it an even better service for your customers.

Thanks,
Brian

PS - to those saying namedrive is providing a free service, I respectfully disagree. NameDrive customers are sending valueable traffic to namedrive, who in turn makes money off this traffic just as domain owners do. That is not FREE as namedrive is taking an unspecified percentage of PPC revenue in exchange for providing hosting, parking templates and access to the syndicated advertising feeds. While it is a great service, please be realistic, it is not FREE.

•••
Best wishes getting the service going again as fast as you can.

singlem said:
Why not email your actual customers, rather than posting on some 3rd party message board?

I agree that they should email their customers, if they can.

It's entirely believable that with their server(s) inaccessible because of the DDOS that they may not be able to access their customer list right now.

•••
Considering NameDrive has bulk of customers here at NamePros, as well as other domain forums, I think Ed did the right thing, It's much faster to post it in the forums, than try and mass email everyone, when something happens very fast.

Sorry to hear this ..Ed...It's a shame we have people that have skills, but don't use them to thier advantage, Such as the people that sit and comand DDOS attacks,,,I hope all is well for NameDrive, Please keep us posted.

singlem said:
NameDriver:

While I do appreciate the information regarding the DDOS attack and have full confidence that you and your team are doing everything they can to remedy it, I don't think your method of communicating this to customers is adequate.

I really think you could take the time to send a broadcast email to customers indicating that there is a problem. I should not have to stumble upon this posting on namepros.com forum to know something is wrong.

Thank you for providing a great and fair service with namedrive.com. This is just some constructive criticism to make it an even better service for your customers.

Thanks,
Brian

PS - to those saying namedrive is providing a free service, I respectfully disagree. NameDrive customers are sending valueable traffic to namedrive, who in turn makes money off this traffic just as domain owners do. That is not FREE as namedrive is taking an unspecified percentage of PPC revenue in exchange for providing hosting, parking templates and access to the syndicated advertising feeds. While it is a great service, please be realistic, it is not FREE.

Yeah ...Right....I have never heard one bad thing about NameDrive.com, That is unusual actually, I know alot of domain parkers, Making such accusations, with out one bit of proof, Is totally ridiculous and un called for.

•••
Hi guys,

Just an update here. I can't believe this still hasn't been resolved. This is a massively concerted, aggressive and malicious attack. We deal with a DDOS pretty much every day, but even our sophisticated defenses are somewhat overwhelmed by this. We are working on a solution and hope to be up shortly.

I'll repeat for the nth time that your earnings won't be affected by this and you will be compensated fully once this is over.

I apologise again for other people's malevolence and hope we can get this sorted asap.

Ed

P.S. On the email thing, we would if we could, but there are various factors preventing it, added to the fact that sending out tens of thousands of emails simultaneously would probably lead to many of them ending in people's junk boxes and not being seen anyway. We have posted as much as possible in the public domain what is going on and also on our blog at blog.namedrive.com.

Last edited:
•••
I was wondering what was going on...couldn't get into see stats all day today....sorry to hear the bad news.

BTW what exactly is a DDOS attack?

•••
franchise said:
BTW what exactly is a DDOS attack?
DDOS = distributed denial of service attack, the result of several machines sending requests to one or more web servers = major pain in the a$$ for the target as it can only handle so many requests at once

•••
Thanks Fitz for the explanation. By several machines I'm guessing like system overload...lots of machines.

Too bad for ND...I've been happy with them so far. Hope it gets resolved soon.

•••
•••
Hi guys,

Thanks for your support. There are various types of attacks and this seems to be all of them rolled into one. They often use 'zombie' computers - normally Windows users who have no idea their computers are being used to attack another system. Killing zombies isn't always the easiest thing to do.
As I mentioned, this happens to us every day and there is never any downtime or even slowdown experienced by the user. The problem with these attacks is that they are very nigh on impossible to trace, so it is a crime with no punishment. However, we do have some connections in important places, so I'd love to see this perpetrator rot in jail some day.

Ed

•••
Actualy I am grateful for the post from Namedriver - now I know why I can not login to my namedrive account. Neither at namedrive.com nor namedrive.pl nor namedrive.de

•••
yoshine said:
i dont even know why people use name drive

Wow, a really insightfull comment , looks like you are going to be a major contributor to the NP's forum.

Namedriver:

Good luck with sorting out those perps!

•••
yoshine said:
i dont even know why people use name drive

Do you have domains? lol

And sorry to hear about this, I hope you guys can fix it asap, not for me, It doesn't bother me I can't earn those few dollars I normally make, but for all others who make a very decent income from your service!

Everyone remember, this is not their fault, so get mad on the atackers, if you are going to be mad ;) ND even compensates the losses, so they are handling this perfectly.

By the way, is it possible to track the atacker? Would be nice to give him the bill of all costs ND made with this downtime and fixing ;)

Best of luck!

•••
Thanks for your support Ghris.

These things are notoriously difficult to track, but the attackers have given us a huge amount of data to get crunching on. Too much data, one might say. The longer the attack continues, the longer they expose themselves to be found, so we are hoping to have a happy ending to this sorry saga. These things are essentially a battle of muscle. We are one of the top 30 web servers in the world, so we have a massive amount of power. It just shows the magnitude of the attack we are up against and the power of whoever is behind this.

Frustrating for all, but it is only us who is losing out on revenue here, you will all be compensated.

Ed

•••
NameDriver said:

These things are notoriously difficult to track, but the attackers have given us a huge amount of data to get crunching on. Too much data, one might say. The longer the attack continues, the longer they expose themselves to be found, so we are hoping to have a happy ending to this sorry saga. These things are essentially a battle of muscle. We are one of the top 30 web servers in the world, so we have a massive amount of power. It just shows the magnitude of the attack we are up against and the power of whoever is behind this.

Frustrating for all, but it is only us who is losing out on revenue here, you will all be compensated.

Ed
Sorry to hear this.
I constantly have to deal with DDOS attacks, and it is very infuriating. I do not, however and thankfully, have to deal with it on the magnitude of what you are having to deal with. Good luck, and I hope it the perpetrators get punished.

Joe

•••
NameDriver said:

Ed

Is it possible that it is a ND competitor? (or someone paid by a competitor?)

I always think the worst... :alien:

All the best to ND , hopefully you catch the bastards behind this attack.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back