IT.COM

domains NameCheap Terminating Services to Russian Customers

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Namecheap is apparently terminating services to Russian customers:

Namecheap is asking that customers from Russia transfer their domain names to another registrar by March 6, 2022:

"Unfortunately, due to the Russian regime's war crimes and human rights violations in Ukraine, we will no longer be providing services to users registered in Russia. While we sympathize that this war may not affect your own views or opinion on the matter, the fact is, your authoritarian government is committing human rights abuses and engaging in war crimes so this is a policy decision we have made and will stand by.

If you hold any top-level domains with us, we ask that you transfer them to another provider by March 6, 2022. "

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It seems like a lot of the Russian oligarchs and elites are starting to pushback on Putin and this war. They are starting to lose their wealth and status.

ROME, March 4 (Reuters) - Italian police have seized a yacht owned by Alexey Mordashov, the richest man in Russia before being blacklisted this week by the European Union following Moscow's attack on Ukraine, a source with direct knowledge of the matter said on Friday.

•••
Since 2003, Namepros "witnessed/survived" 117 wars caused by many different ideologies/beliefs, some has ended, others ongoing.

List of Conflicts: 2003–present

Regards

Last edited:
•••
Since 2003, Namepros "witnessed/survived" 117 wars caused by many different ideologies/beliefs, some has ended, others ongoing.

List of Conflicts: 2003–present

Regards

you try to relativate the war in Ukraine
so it should look unimportant

but the contrary is the case

if all goes wrong that could be the very last war of mankind

how many of those wars you try to quote
were sanctioned by nearly all members of the UN?

nearly all humans on this planet try to make that war end
and condemn Russia for its attack

most humans on this planet try to support Ukraine
as they were attacked for no reason

I hope the good people in Russia will stop Putin ASAP

>>>
Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock
@ABaerbock

Government representative* from Germany
There was no reason for this war - except the aggressive striving for power of one man. But it is not greatness to attack weaker people, to bomb cities, to let children die. It is our responsibility to oppose this decisively. <<<

>>China-backed bank AIIB stops activities in Russia. And that means: The Chinese are obviously "not amused". <<

https://www.rnd.de/wirtschaft/china...jekte-auf-eis-YW2HJS474PAVYC3T6EJRRJUZXY.html

Last edited:
•••
1. you try to relativate the war in Ukraine
2. so it should look unimportant

1. No. I experience & know what is war ... more than you can possibly imagine.
2. Why World can't make peace in 7 days, 1-2-3 sanctions, blabs ... ? The UN bureaucracy can only deploy military troops when there is a UN Security Council resolution authorizing them to do so. The war will not end until a power balance is achieved; then, conflict ends.

Regards

Last edited:
•••
Namecheap is apparently terminating services to Russian customers:
Now that's just sad and ignorant. Like most sanctions you want to punish citizens due to the crimes of their politicians. Why didn't you sanction SA and US customers for the huge slaughter and suffering still being committed in Yemen by Saudi leaders with the support of US politicians. Why didn't you sanction US customers for the debacle in Afghanistan & Iraq both of which are much worse off then when the US invaded them 20+ years ago then left after raping them for their natural resources. Oh, that's right, because it's not about principled thinking and action, it's about thinking that the pathetic virtue flag you are currently waving is much more important then the fact that you are only hurting innocent people even more. BTW, I am a proud American, but I am not even close to proud of our Gov't & it's scam artist authoritarian charlatans.

Last edited:
•••
ICANN responded regarding domain names:

ICANN is an independent technical organization that manages the Internet’s unique identifiers. ICANN is a facilitator of the security, stability, and resiliency of these identifiers with the objective of a single, global, interoperable Internet. In our role as the technical coordinator of
unique identifiers for the Internet, we take actions to ensure that the workings of the Internet are not politicized, and we have no sanction-levying authority. Essentially, ICANN has been built toensure that the Internet works, not for its coordination role to be used to stop it from working.

As you know, the Internet is a decentralized system. No one actor has the ability to control it or shut it down. ICANN’s primary role, through the functions of the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA), is to ensure the consistent and unique assignment of Internet identifiers in line with global policies.
Source : onlinedomain.com
https://onlinedomain.com/2022/03/04...for-sanctions-targeting-russia-icann-refuses/

Last edited:
•••
the Internet is a decentralized system

•••
•••
NameCheap are sellouts. I stopped doing business with them years ago. They have a history of jumping on bandwagon issues to get any kind of free publicity they can. I would not trust any of my domains with this company.

•••
Not sure how i feel about this one.

I totally agree with sanctions and i agree that Russians should feel some pain for what their nation is doing to Ukraine, in hope that it causes outrage and getting rid of Putin and his cronies from the inside.

But domain names are property, this is like seizing assets of ordinary people, i agree with seizing/freezing assets of Putin and people around him and shunning Russian companies, but ordinary individual Russians? I don't agree with that.

Also 6th of March is not enough time, especially during a pandemic, what happens if someone is hospitalized with covid and recovers, checks their email after 4 weeks only to find that the registrar they have trusted with their assets, that they paid a lot of money for, may have deleted their assets just because they are Russian?

Something doesn't sit right with me on that.

Land is property of the Ukrainian ppl and it's being stripped from under their feet.

They're not seizing anything, they gave them a timeline to transfer their domains from their network. I am also sure they have some sort of transfer priority set in too.

days, weeks, months, years is not enough time. Sanctions will not wait until every individual is good and ready to transition. They set a timeline and users from the Russian Federation will have to abide by it. This is their standing policy.

There are 999 million scenarios we can think in our mind, but I stand by this firmly. Good on you @bhartzer . I hope you all continue to take these stance on this.
fbb8d31d4b21ba214196f885f969e6d9_XL.jpg

Last edited:
•••
Now that's just sad and ignorant. Like most sanctions you want to punish citizens due to the crimes of their politicians. Why didn't you sanction SA and US customers for the huge slaughter and suffering still being committed in Yemen by Saudi leaders with the support of US politicians. Why didn't you sanction US customers for the debacle in Afghanistan & Iraq both of which are much worse off then when the US invaded them 20+ years ago then left after raping them for their natural resources. Oh, that's right, because it's not about principled thinking and action, it's about thinking that the pathetic virtue flag you are currently waving is much more important then the fact that you are only hurting innocent people even more. BTW, I am a proud American, but I am not even close to proud of our Gov't & it's scam artist authoritarian charlatans.
You're so american, that you don't remember World Trade Center and other stuff made by terrorist's from Afghanistan. Again, who was bombed by terrorist in Ukraine, excluding the defense of their territory? It's the same as attacking Sweden, Switzerland or Australia. Now he started threatening Sweden, Finland and prepares for Moldova(part of it, where are russians minorities asked for independence, exactly now). So, where and who should stop him? There are two choices, either this, affecting his citizens also or a nuclear war. Believe me, if Trump would have attacked in the same manner, let's say Canada, for some corner that was owned by US 300 years ago, the world would have treat him exactly the same, affecting US citizens.

Last edited:
•••
It's sad to see ordinary Russians being now targetted by companies. We should stand firm behind Ukraine and against the Russian government but often ordinary citizens are hurt most which are against the war as well.

Seems like an overly emotional decision.
Glad to see a company with moral compass intact.

•••
You're so american, that you don't remember World Trade Center and other stuff made by terrorist's from Afghanistan. Again, who was bombed by terrorist in Ukraine, excluding the defense of their territory? It's the same as attacking Sweden, Switzerland or Australia. Now he started threatening Sweden, Finland and prepares for Moldova(part of it, where are russians minorities asked for independence, exactly now). So, where and who should stop him? There are two choices, either this, affecting his citizens also or a nuclear war. Believe me, if Trump would have attacked in the same manner, let's say Canada, for some corner that was owned by US 300 years ago, the world would have treat him exactly the same, affecting US citizens.
Boker, yes I am so American that I did not forget 9/11, in fact I have been researching and studying it since 2012 when I finally woke up to the actual BS of politicians in power. I beg of you to get in the ring with me about 9/11. I don't suffer fools but I do often watch arrogant fools suffer. You appear to be a prime example of garbage in, garbage out, just a parrot of what you hear on corporate controlled TV...re-read my original post..

Last edited:
•••
Boker, yes I am so American that I did not forget 9/11, in fact I have been researching and studying it since 2012 when I finally woke up to the actual BS of politicians in power. I beg of you to get in the ring with me about 9/11. I don't suffer fools but I do often watch arrogant fools suffer. You appear to be a prime example of garbage in, garbage out, just a parrot of what you hear on corporate controlled TV...re-read my original post..
Searching? My bad, didn't knew that you are one of those rats who can't live without politics, but they can't find their way home, without a map. Back to your cave, to study more. On my ignore list from now, some of us have better things to do, than to find a new conspiration every day. Have a life.

•••
Searching? My bad, didn't knew that you are one of those rats who can't live without politics, but they can't find their way home, without a map. Back to your cave, to study more. On my ignore list from now, some of us have better things to do, than to find a new conspiration every day. Have a life.
thanks for the ignore recommendation

•••
•••
•••
•••
I think this time NameCheap going with the wrong decision. NameCheap needs to be honest with all customers.

•••
I think this time NameCheap going with the wrong decision. NameCheap needs to be honest with all customers.
So namecheap has 90% ukrainians staff, they are killed right now, during their work and russians mock them in face, through customer service and they should just stay and listen how their killers laugh at them. Brave world.

•••

You can agree or disagree with their decision, but how have they not been honest?

Brad

•••
You can agree or disagree with their decision, but how have they not been honest?

Brad
Because when customers purchase NameCheap services that advertisement and committed for best services.

•••
Because when customers purchase NameCheap services that advertisement and committed for best services.
I don't really know what that means.

Agree or disagree, I would say NameCheap has been pretty straight forward with their decision.

Brad

•••
I don't really know what that means.

Agree or disagree, I would say NameCheap has been pretty straight forward with their decision.

Brad
I am not agree with their decision.

•••
I am not agree with their decision.
Fair enough, but that still doesn't mean they have not been honest about it.

They are a private company and can largely do business with who they want, but at the same time there is a registrant/digital rights issue. That is why I tweeted (I rarely use Twitter) the NameCheap CEO who clarified in no uncertain terms that they won't delete any domains.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back