Dynadot

domains NameCheap Terminating Services to Russian Customers

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Namecheap is apparently terminating services to Russian customers:

Namecheap is asking that customers from Russia transfer their domain names to another registrar by March 6, 2022:

"Unfortunately, due to the Russian regime's war crimes and human rights violations in Ukraine, we will no longer be providing services to users registered in Russia. While we sympathize that this war may not affect your own views or opinion on the matter, the fact is, your authoritarian government is committing human rights abuses and engaging in war crimes so this is a policy decision we have made and will stand by.

If you hold any top-level domains with us, we ask that you transfer them to another provider by March 6, 2022. "

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
By the way, .ru registry can cut access to most registrars, without approval from ICANN, so it's should be fair the other way around.

•••
The Russian army is killing off their employees (or trying to) this instant... How on earth is that virtue signalling?

I'm inclined to support net neutrality but it's hard to remain neutral when someone's bombing the place you live in.

Lot of bickering and disgusting remarks being made in this thread btw.... NP should be ashamed for not cleaning up some of the mess thats being reported sooner.

The army are not the same as the normal citizens of Russia. I just don't think it is fair to take away regular peoples assets because of what their government do.

Last edited:
•••
The Board of FIFe feels it cannot just witness these atrocities and do nothing, so it decided that as of 01.03.2022:
No cat bred in Russia may be imported and registered in any FIFe pedigree book outside Russia, regardless of, which organization issued its pedigree.
No cat belonging to exhibitors living in Russia may be entered at any FIFe show outside Russia, regardless of, which organization these exhibitors hold their membership in.
These restrictions are valid until 31.05.2022 and will be reviewed as and when necessary.
😿
http://www1.fifeweb.org/wp/news/#412

Last edited:
•••
•••
None of this crap has anything to do with domains.
all of this is about domains
as we talk about Namecheap
and why Namecheap terminates service to Russian
and discuss if that is justified

so just tolerate that
you all are for tolerance, right?

so tolerate the desperate move
of a company
who is attacked in their homeland

and doesn't want to grant any service to their attacker

as by now, we've learned
that not all Russian ( domainers ) condemn the attack

which really leaves me speechless

Last edited:
•••
The army are not the same as the normal citizens of Russia. I just don't think it is fair to take away regular peoples assets because of what their government do.

Namecheap doesn't want to grant any service to their attacker

as by now, we've learned
that not all Russian ( domainers ) condemn the attack

which really leaves me speechless

•••
Orcs attack the whole civilized world...
For those, who still didn't understand anything and tolerate it.

Last edited:
•••
Ukrainians fight like lions for our freedom...
And we will win!
Slava Ukraini!

Last edited:
•••
Long thread, but crazy stuff:-

I wouldn't believe a whole nation could be gullible enough to full for this kind of propaganda (innocent little girl with pigtails listening in, asking scripted questions and everything), but reading 1 or 2 opinions from Russians on here, can see how this stuff as an effect.

Last edited:
•••
While I understand such a post is made out of concern for Ukraine, I must say & with all due respect, it's fantasy & not very helpful. That is exactly what was said about Asad's regime when it all started, "regime change, dictator, he must leave, go to the streets, sanctions like no other" & now he is in his palace with millions of displaced Syrians. & that's only Asad, not Putin.
Fantasy? What takes to russian people to go massively to streets and claim against war? Do you see it really a fantasy? It only takes to go out of home and claim against the war, that's not a fantasy. Again, if every russian would do that, 140 million russians claiming aganist war, Putin would be out of office tomorrow.

About Asad, he massacred his own people with the help of Putin's rockets. Now Asad is Putin's puppet for the rest of his life. Shame that nobody else helped Syrians on their path to find freedom and democracy.

This is not the time for regime change, nor is it the time to fix Russia's election system. It's time for diplomacy, negotiations to stop the bloodshed, & the threat of a new world war, a nuclear one. Sanctions won't stop him, only negotiations. imo
Tell that to the ukrainian people being killed right now because of Putin's madness. Fix Russian's election system? Man, there's no election there, that's just a pathetic fake election there. There's a dictator, not an election there.
Ukrainians want diplomacy and stop the bloodshed, but Putin's not gonna stop and meanwhile "diplomacy" dozens of innoncent ukrainian people are dying, each day.
Sanctions WILL HELP TO STOP HIM because he is not the only dictator there, there a group of oligarchs that run the country around Putin.

And when a country INVADES and MASSACRE another country way smaller in terms of weaponry, THEN sanctions are MANDATORY. People of that country must know that if they let their dictator freely invade other countries there will be a punishment to that country, unfortunately their people included.

And definitely, if each russian would go right now to the streets and claim against the war, you can bet that Putin would stop the invasion and would be out of office tomorrow.
So, not a fantasy there. Other thing is that half of russians right now may be brainwashed due to 18 years of dictatorship, only watching Putin's TV and his propaganda, and due to Putin's effort to block external information sources about the war crimes already happening in Ukraine.

Peace.

Last edited:
•••
About the reason for sanctions and if they work or not:

Putin wanted to strengthen his grip by invading Ukraine. Instead he may weaken it.​

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opini...raine-war-would-strengthen-him-it-ncna1290709

"Still, while Putin may have hoped that invading Ukraine would quickly expand Russian territory and help restore the grandeur of the former Russian empire, it could do the opposite. If multiple factors converge — large numbers of body bags come home, sanctions effectively weaken the ruble and Russia becomes a pariah state via a global cultural boycott — it could prompt internal Russian soul-searching. And this really is the key question: Will the Ukraine invasion result in the kind of shattering loss that fundamentally causes the Russian people to rethink what goals they want their state to pursue."

•••
Fantasy? What takes to russian people to go massively to streets and claim against war? Do you see it really a fantasy? It only takes to go out of home and claim against the war, that's not a fantasy. Again, if every russian would do that, 140 million russians claiming aganist war, Putin would be out of office tomorrow.

About Asad, he massacred his own people with the help of Putin's rockets. Now Asad is Putin's puppet for the rest of his life. Shame that nobody else helped Syrians on their path to find freedom and democracy.

Tell that to the ukrainian people being killed right now because of Putin's madness. Fix Russian's election system? Man, there's no election there, that's just a pathetic fake election there. There's a dictator, not an election there.
Ukrainians want diplomacy and stop the bloodshed, but Putin's not gonna stop and meanwhile "diplomacy" dozens of innoncent ukrainian people are dying, each day.
Sanctions WILL HELP TO STOP HIM because he is not the only dictator there, there a group of oligarchs that run the country around Putin.

And when a country INVADES and MASSACRE another country way smaller in terms of weaponry, THEN sanctions are MANDATORY. People of that country must know that if they let their dictator freely invade other countries there will be a punishment to that country, unfortunately their people included.

And definitely, if each russian would go right now to the streets and claim against the war, you can bet that Putin would stop the invasion and would be out of office tomorrow.
So, not a fantasy there. Other thing is that half of russians right now may be brainwashed due to 18 years of dictatorship, only watching Putin's TV and his propaganda, and due to Putin's effort to block external information sources about the war crimes already happening in Ukraine.

Peace.
I don't know, I can't see anything like that happening anytime soon, or soon enough to stop the war. Especially now that ordinary Russians will suffer as a result of the sanctions, are they gonna blame Putin?

Remains to be seen..

•••
I don't know, I can't see anything like that happening anytime soon, or soon enough to stop the war. Especially now that ordinary Russians will suffer as a result of the sanctions, are they gonna blame Putin?

Remains to be seen..

that might convince the Russians soon:

1646330381369.png

•••
•••
I have not read through 11 pages on this thread......but want to say (and probably already been said a few times) that is a disgusting decision by NameCheap.

Punishing civilians of an autocratic state because some former KGB officer has delusions of grandeur is wrong and lacks empathy to ordinary hardworking people who are trying to earn a living in Russia.....

Last edited:
•••
I have not read through 11 pages on this thread......but want to say (and probably already been said a few times) that is a disgusting decision by NameCheap.

Punishing civilians of an autocratic state because some former KGB officer has delusions of grandeur is wrong and lacks empathy to ordinary hardworking people who are trying to earn a living in Russia.....

•••

Nick, you know what is disgusting?

Putin invading a peaceful country
and domainers here supporting him

if I was Namecheap
I would redirect every Russian owned domain name
to a website that just displays videos of Russians bombing

Last edited:
•••
About the reason for sanctions and if they work or not:

Putin wanted to strengthen his grip by invading Ukraine. Instead he may weaken it.​

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opini...raine-war-would-strengthen-him-it-ncna1290709

"Still, while Putin may have hoped that invading Ukraine would quickly expand Russian territory and help restore the grandeur of the former Russian empire, it could do the opposite. If multiple factors converge — large numbers of body bags come home, sanctions effectively weaken the ruble and Russia becomes a pariah state via a global cultural boycott — it could prompt internal Russian soul-searching. And this really is the key question: Will the Ukraine invasion result in the kind of shattering loss that fundamentally causes the Russian people to rethink what goals they want their state to pursue."
Sure! They will all rush out in multitude after reading this:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europ...seize-russia-owned-assets-ukraine-2022-03-03/

LVIV, March 3 (Reuters) - Ukraine's parliament on Thursday approved a bill to allow the seizure of assets or property in Ukraine owned by Russia or Russian citizens due to the invasion of Ukraine...

•••
Nick, you know what is disgusting?

Putin invading a peaceful country
and domainers here supporting him

if I was Namecheap
I would redirect every Russian owned domain name
to a website that just displays videos of Russians bombing
You also support this ?:
https://www.reuters.com/world/europ...seize-russia-owned-assets-ukraine-2022-03-03/

LVIV, March 3 (Reuters) - Ukraine's parliament on Thursday approved a bill to allow the seizure of assets or property in Ukraine owned by Russia or Russian citizens due to the invasion of Ukraine...

Last edited:
•••
•••
I am 100% with Ukraine and support all sanctions against Russia even if it hits ordinary Russians hard - I hope NameCheap finds a way to handle the situation so that Russian domainere can move their domains but I have a hard time feeling any sympathy for Russians while their army murders civilians in Ukraine - The only Russians I feel sympathy for are those who speak out loud against Putin and his inner circle and unfortunately you do not see many (if any?) of them on this forum.

Last edited:
•••
you bet, I do
seizure of assets or property in Ukraine owned by Russia or Russian citizens due to the invasion of Ukraine...

I don't, because i see it as daylight robbery under pretext of sanctioning and will certainly lead to anarchy, if not more deaths. Remember, Ukrainian citizens also own properties in Russia.

Last edited:
•••
seizure of assets or property in Ukraine owned by Russia or Russian citizens due to the invasion of Ukraine...

I don't, because i see it as daylight robbery under pretext of sanctioning and will certainly lead to anarchy, if not more deaths. Remember, Ukrainian citizens also own properties in Russia.

that's a valid argument

but think about your brother, your daughter, son or sister
mom or dad

just being grilled by a Russian Grad

in peace time

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOS-1

Last edited:
•••

I don't, because i see it as daylight robbery under pretext of sanctioning and will certainly lead to anarchy, if not more deaths. Remember, Ukraine citizens also own properties in Russia.

I personally have much less of an issue with seizure of oligarch assets than regular citizens.

There is really no such thing as a non pro-Putin oligarch. They got into their positions because of that, and if you research any you will see much of their wealth (if not all) was via ill-gotten gains.

Going after the elites could actually put the pressure on Putin. Going after normal citizens I don't think is that helpful.

Unfortunately the sanctions are going to hurt normal citizens regardless.

That is just what happens when you make a move that makes yourself toxic to the rest of the world. Your assets crash, your currency crashes, interest rates soar, etc.

Brad

•••
I personally have much less of an issue with seizure of oligarch assets than regular citizens.

There is really no such thing as a non pro-Putin oligarch. They got into their positions because of that, and if you research any you will see much of their wealth (if not all) was via ill-gotten gains.

Going after the elites could actually put the pressure on Putin. Going after normal citizens I don't think is that helpful.

Unfortunately the sanctions are going to hurt normal citizens regardless.

That is just what happens when you make a move that makes yourself toxic to the rest of the world. Your assets crash, your currency crashes, interest rates soar, etc.

Brad
The article is referring to blanket (not targeted) seizure. That's a big difference.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back