Dynadot

domains NameCheap Terminating Services to Russian Customers

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Namecheap is apparently terminating services to Russian customers:

Namecheap is asking that customers from Russia transfer their domain names to another registrar by March 6, 2022:

"Unfortunately, due to the Russian regime's war crimes and human rights violations in Ukraine, we will no longer be providing services to users registered in Russia. While we sympathize that this war may not affect your own views or opinion on the matter, the fact is, your authoritarian government is committing human rights abuses and engaging in war crimes so this is a policy decision we have made and will stand by.

If you hold any top-level domains with us, we ask that you transfer them to another provider by March 6, 2022. "

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Why would a country default? Europe, the US and Canada are not the whole world.
Currency was failing big time during Crimea takeover, now they are ready for this scenario, even 10 times worse. The economy is much more ready than it was 8 years ago.
They don't give a shit about reputation, it's an existential threat to Russia.

Here is the thing that most of you guys don't understand. The more shit world creates for Russia (irrelevant of the reasons) the more Russians think of them being 100% right.
You think the other way around - we create more problems and they turn their rage to Putin. It's a wrong mindset, exactly the opposite happens.
They can default because they have limited reserves, and don't have access to much of them.

If they are fixing the price of the Ruble, they have to cover that loss with their reserves.

Russia has an oversized influence in the world for such a small economy. They are 11th in the world with a nominal GDP of 1.5T.

US for instance is at 22T. China is at 16T.

For reference other countries -

Japan - 5T
Germany - 4T
UK - 3T
India - 2.9T
France - 2.9T
Italy - 2.1T
Canada - 2T
South Korea - 1.8T

Russia is not the financial powerhouse it thinks it is.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
•••
They can default because they have limited reserves, and don't have access to much of them.

If they are fixing the price of the Ruble, they have to cover that loss with their reserves.

Russia has an oversized influence in the world for such a small economy. They are 11th in the world with a nominal GDP of 1.5T.

Japan - 5T
Germany - 4T
UK - 3T
India - 2.9T
France - 2.9T
Italy - 2.1T
Canada - 2T
South Korea - 1.8T

Brad

We can check back in 6 months and see who's right.

•••
We can check back in 6 months and see who's right.

1646255251176.png

Last edited:
•••

Japan - 5T
Germany - 4T
UK - 3T
India - 2.9T
France - 2.9T
Italy - 2.1T
Canada - 2T
South Korea - 1.8T

Brad

Everyone will pay for this war..

European gas prices hit record high as Russia supply fears grow https://www.aljazeera.com/economy/2...es-hit-new-record-as-russia-supply-fears-grow

Oil surges above $110 and natural gas soars as markets 'panic' over Russia
https://edition.cnn.com/2022/03/02/business/oil-prices-natural-gas-russia/index.html

Wheat prices soar to highest since 2008 on potential Russia supply hit
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/01/whe...s-since-2008-as-russia-invasion-advances.html

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
Hmm...The invasion being so popular and all, I wonder why they are forced to take actions like this -

Russia likely to impose martial law on Friday according to this. Today they passed a law with a punishment of 15 years for anyone writing "wrong" about the war.

It's almost like it might not be quite as popular as some people have stated.

Last edited:
•••
BNO News looks fishy
I thought it was BBC News

•••
Orcs already lost ~6K soldiers killed and wounded cumulatively, and counting...
Welcome to hell!

•••
Hmm...The invasion being so popular and all, I wonder why they are forced to take actions like this -

Russia likely to impose martial law on Friday according to this. Today they passed a law with a punishment of 15 years for anyone writing "wrong" about the war.

It's almost like it might not be quite as popular as some people have stated.

St. Petersburg Tonight: Dozens of police detentions after anti-war protest. A striking number of young people among the protesters
There are said to have been up to 500 arrests, says the person who made the video. The charge is probably "illegal mass gathering".

Last edited:
•••
Orcs already lost ~6K soldiers killed and wounded cumulatively, and counting...
Welcome to hell!
I have been amazed by how dilapidated and junky the Russian equipment looks. Most of their tanks and APC look like they are from the 1970s or 1980s and have not been maintained since then. It looks like they pulled them out of a scrapyard.

There have been countless videos of troops giving up voluntarily. Most of these people seem like poorly trained kids.

They still have not even established air supremacy. Not real impressive for such a supposed military power.
I guess not much of a surprise since most of their airplanes are vintage relics from the USSR.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
•••
Hope it was worth it...

Russians are bracing for a dramatic shift in their standard of living​

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/02/economy/russia-imports-sanctions-economy/index.html

As Western sanctions take root, Russians are bracing for a dramatic shift in their standard of living as their savings diminish in value and imports of everyday goods are quickly being cut off.

Over the past week, several Western companies have abandoned their Russian operations to avoid running afoul of sanctions. They're also heading off potential PR quagmires that could result from maintaining ties to a country that's increasingly seen as a pariah on the global stage.

On Tuesday, Apple said it had stopped selling all of its products in Russia, following similar moves by car and truck makers including Ford, General Motors, Volvo, Renault and Jaguar. Western oil giants Shell and BP ended joint ventures with Russian counterparts earlier this week. Disney, along with WarnerMedia, CNN's parent company, are pausing the release of films in Russia.

Compounding the economic pain, two of the world's biggest container shipping companies, Maersk and MSC, said they are halting cargo bookings to and from Russia, with the exception of food, medicine and humanitarian supplies.

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
Things seem to keep getting better and better...

World Bank halts all projects in Russia and Belarus

•••
•••
•••
Wow, I never thought I would see a domain company virtue signalling. Crazy times.

I support Ukraine 100% but this is a bad decision that will have ramifications for Namecheap in the long run.

The Russian army is killing off their employees (or trying to) this instant... How on earth is that virtue signalling?

I'm inclined to support net neutrality but it's hard to remain neutral when someone's bombing the place you live in.

Lot of bickering and disgusting remarks being made in this thread btw.... NP should be ashamed for not cleaning up some of the mess thats being reported sooner.

•••
THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) — International Criminal Court prosecutor opens investigation into possible war crimes, crimes against humanity in Ukraine.

•••
•••
This article sums it up nicely for those in need of a recap.
https://www.theregister.com/2022/03/01/ukraine_icann_domains/
I understand the sentiment, but that is way over the top IMO.

A private company can largely determine who they want to do business with.

ICANN though should be more like a regulated utility with domains and the DNS servers.

When you start making moves like that, it becomes a massive slippery slope. You also basically disconnect Russian citizens from any connection to the modern world.

Also, I am not even sure ICANN has ultimate authority over the ccTLD mentioned in the article.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I understand the sentiment, but that is way over the top IMO.

Agree 100%. I'm sure this is the (one of) source(s) most domain related blogs used composing their articles though... Anyway, I can get behind Namecheap to some extent... It makes an interesting and unprecedented case I think. Would love to have a one on one with Mr Berryhill over this one, just for personal education :)

As for icann holding power over ccTLDs, they don't have any say in regulations but I do think they have the power to disconnect/block them at the root level.

I support icann here, it's a slippery slope, like you said.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back