NameSilo

Namebio forcing u to click ads now...

Located in Domaining Reviews, started by alcy, May 8, 2020

Replies:
Views:

1. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

so before when i entered namebio an old grey guy add popped.. ok.. annoying. but it had X to close it.... i guess tis started couple months ago.

today, same full page ad, no X to close.. forcing a click.

its becoming complicated to enter namebio

are we gonna be forced into more things in time or is this as bad as it will get before people can just see some sales? @Michael

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. koolishman

koolishman Upgraded Member Blue Account

Non-paying members have to watch that ad.

3. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

i guess tats what.....99% of people?

some way to make people pay

and to make a rep for yerself

4. Michael

Michael NameBio.com NameBio Staff PRO VIP ICA Member ★★★★★★★★★★

It doesn’t force you to click the ad. After you wait for the countdown there’s a link to close it. Clicking the ad doesn’t close it either, you have to wait for the Close link to appear. It’s just like those ads on free mobile apps and games, where the (X) button is disabled until you wait a certain amount of time (usually while a video plays).

I realize it’s a bit obtrusive, but it only pops up after every 50 homepage actions (searching, paginating, sorting) and only lasts 45 seconds. For most people that might mean once every day or two, for heavier users it might be a couple times per day. If you don’t want to pay any money to use the site I think it’s fair to give up 45 seconds of your time every once in a while so that advertisers can support the site instead.

We have users who do thousands or even tens of thousands of searches a year, make a lot of money from the data, and don’t have a membership. That’s because we give a lot of functionality away for free. Rather than changing the site to only allow people to do a few searches a day for free like Estibot, or otherwise restricting the site for free users, we’re creating new advertising opportunities.

If it bothers you too much you can always pay as little as $60/year to get rid of them, and get lots of other benefits as well. Otherwise you’ll have to see some ads.

I’m not planning on any other changes, I think we’ve maximized what we can do with ads on the site with this, all the auction widgets, and featured listings.

5. Super-Annuation

Super-Annuation Account Suspended (Warnings) Gold Account

I use DNPric.es

They're free and better search results

6. The Durfer

The Durfer Top Contributor VIP Blue Account

no problem, Michael, most sites have ads to supplement income. tyvm for what namebio does. :)

7. iKhalyfah

iKhalyfah Restricted (Market)

Quite long in my opinion:xf.smile:

But quite okay!

Regards

8. The Durfer

The Durfer Top Contributor VIP Blue Account

Can we get a special rate though, like a namepros membership special discount? :)

9. Sumeeth

Sumeeth DomExpert Epik.com Staff VIP

Guys, if you can't wait for ad completion, just refresh the page again, ad will not display :)

10. iKhalyfah

Wow, worked great!:xf.grin:(y)

11. BrandPlease

BrandPlease BrandPlease.com VIP Gold Account

You guys have provided a "backbone" service for free for a long time. Asking to watch an add to help support the work, rather than member only seem more than fair!

Go fill your coffee or restroom and let the ad run - to the end is usually best.

12. wallet2it

wallet2it Deep Thinker @ DeepThink.org VIP

C3ADBA17-552D-4511-8F13-396E2F9D2316.jpeg
    That’s not really fair to Namebio ....I suggest to do the right thing ....just let the video run as suggested by other members

13. Michael

Michael NameBio.com NameBio Staff PRO VIP ICA Member ★★★★★★★★★★

It warms my heart to see people so dedicated to not providing a single ounce of support to the site. Especially coming from a representative of another industry service provider. Classy.

I didn't close that hole because I figured one of two things would prevent it:

1. You're ok with giving a little back in exchange for a free service.
    2. You don't want to lose your search filters and/or pagination by refreshing.

But inspired by your dedication, I went ahead and made it a little harder to work around.

Thanks to those of you who help support the site through your membership or through supporting our sponsors. And also thanks for the understanding about this new intermittent ad unit.

14. Sumeeth

Sumeeth DomExpert Epik.com Staff VIP

@Michael , sorry if it hurts you. I have just posted my observation here about closing AD when page refreshes, hope it helps you fix that defect.

We'll love Namebio forever :)

Thanks,

15. iKhalyfah

My sincere apology too @Michael we shall continue to support your services one wa y or the other!
    Take that as a customer feedback and fix that defect. Cheers

16. Nikul Sanghvi

Nikul Sanghvi hypernames.co PRO VIP ICA Member Gold Account

Only seen this ad once in the last month, didn't bother me.

However, I just signed up for the membership, primarily to support @Michael.
    Hope others reading/posting in this thread might consider doing the same.

https://namebio.com/memberships

17. Weber

Weber Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Please consider that refreshing will also delete any previous search form data you entered and search results.

18. Sophia Alice

Sophia Alice Network85.com VIP

Lol u made it start again from 45 seconds after a refresh ... ha ha ..

No problem seeing a advert any how

19. iKhalyfah

Yes

20. Ryan217

Ryan217 Established Member

I will start using them instead of NameBio. NB ruined their site all for a few extra dollars. I don't have a problem with ads, so long as they aren't intrusive, this is the definition of intrusive and I won't support that.

And when my usage becomes heavy enough to justify so, NB won't be the one I buy a subscription from.

21. Super-Annuation

Super-Annuation Account Suspended (Warnings) Gold Account

Yes I agree and found the gem a while ago now.
    You can't get business by ramming stuff into people and hoping it works out.

I own like 450 names or something and I have started to use dnpric.es much more often than I used to do.
    Prices reflect the startup money for the industry and I need that.

22. lambo.com

lambo.com Procuring Quality VIP Gold Account

Oh Namebio! What a retardation!

23. lambo.com

lambo.com Procuring Quality VIP Gold Account

Well I think it's good to advertise responsibly and as a site owner with traffic, you should be grateful to have the attention of a core demographic you are interested in, domainers et al.

24. tonyk2000

tonyk2000 Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Namebio should better become 100% paid service and asap. Those domainers who need it - will pay. Those domainers who do not need it - will use alternatives. Occasional endusers will not see anything which is what it should be. What we have currently, with or without popups, with or without ads, blocked by adblock or not instantly blocked yet - is not beneficial in any aspect for all parties. Imo.

25. Josytal

Josytal Top Contributor VIP

I don't have problems with the ad. But why same ad all the time?

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags:
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice