Dynadot

My own "domain parking" system?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Is there a way to have my own "parking" system, where I can quickly add and remove domains as needed, but the content of which I provide?

The best I can think of are add-on domains.

I have a main domain and add on many domains to subdomains, or directories, and since they are in directories I can upload files using one FTP.

But the process of creating add-on domains is slow. How do hosting companies put there own content into parked domains? Can I do something similar?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I do not quite understand your question, but would parked domains solve your issue? There is a feature to add a domain as a parked domain in cPanel

•••
If I've understood what you're asking:

1. you'll probably need a hosting setup which allows you to configure the web server to accept any domain ( AFAIK, no shared hosting allows this )

2. you'll then need a script to detect the domain used and serve up your content

•••
•••
Guess you need a VPS at least for your purposes.

•••
I've got such a system and it needs to be run on a dedicated server in order to work. A virtual host file within Apache handles the requested domain name and automatically transfers the visitor to a corresponding landing page. From there it's endless possibilites.

•••
Agreed, you're going to need at least a VPS to do this kind of thing. You're not going to have access to what you need at the shared/reseller hosting level.

•••
Thanks all! So I'll check virtual hosting for this. Rep points added for this help.

I'm not too familiar though with virtual hosting. On my hosting, Lunarpages, I have a huge amount of space and bandwidth on shared hosting. But the virtual hosting has 75 times less storage (only 20 GB) and 15 times less bandwidth (1 TB). Why is virtual hosting better, other than what we talked about? It seems like a downgrade to me.

Can I PM someone about the hosting question? Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
•••
•••
Thanks for the info. Reps.

•••
kbweb said:
I'm not too familiar though with virtual hosting. On my hosting, Lunarpages, I have a huge amount of space and bandwidth on shared hosting. But the virtual hosting has 75 times less storage (only 20 GB) and 15 times less bandwidth (1 TB). Why is virtual hosting better, other than what we talked about? It seems like a downgrade to me.

And here's the rub. You'll never use all that disk space / bandwidth and they know it.

Lets see. If you get a whole server to yourself for $99 a month, you only get 80-250gb disk space. Shared hosting is $5 a month, so they have to put at least 20 of you on one server to make the same money. I'd be surprised if they have only 20 accounts on each shared server, but if they do, and the server is a RAID 5+ configuration ( minimum I'd recommend ), then that means they would have to be using 30,000GB drives.

Of course its possible that they have a massive NAS which is reserved only for their extra special $5 p/m customers, but they don't let those worthless $99 p/m customers use it. Smells wrong, doesn't it?

Nearly every shared host does this. BTW, I suggest you remove that affiliate link you posted, they are not allowed on NamePros.

•••
Exactly as -NC- said. Lunarpages knows you'll never come close to using what you've been promised, but you and the other 100 or so folks on the server all think they have the same amount.

The thing about Dedicated and VPS hosting is that it has to be defined in reality. Obviously, you cannot ultimately make a server lie about disk space when the person renting it from you has root. A VPS functions much the same why, while there is the ability to oversell in some instances, some of the software won't allow you to. Furthermore, you cannot play around in a VPS environment like you can with a shared one because the usage will be higher and you will get burned far more often than you will in a shared environment.

•••
And I think that you need also to have permission to start with that on the certain web hosting provider as well as custom or not custom made script installed.

•••
~ServerPoint~ said:
And I think that you need also to have permission to start with that on the certain web hosting provider as well as custom or not custom made script installed.
Do you mean any license or anything like that?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back