Domain Empire

debate Most of domain collectors are hiding their domain collection

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

BrandCollectors.com

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
Do you hide your domain portfolio if yes what a reason?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi

where are they hiding them.... behind a tree, or buried beneath the garage somewhere?

:)

for sure there are obvious reasons
just read thru any of the "how to contact endusers or how to outbound" threads.

plenty of advice on how to send unsolicited emails.
so, between domainers contacting you to sell their names, you also have "seo wanna bee's & web designers, etc" emailing you too.

who wants that junk in their inbox?

I didn't use privacy before privacy became "free", because I felt it was a barrier for potential buyers, to contact me.

then again, you can't say they are hiding them, if they are listed for sale, somewhere

and if they are not for sale, then why does it matter..... unless you just gotta know who owns it?

imo….

•••
For the past number of years all of my domains that are available for purchase on listed on a sales platform, most as a BIN and a few at Make Offer.

The domain names are all shielded by Whois privacy.

So my portfolio is not hidden per se as it is publicly listed but the ownership of the portfolio is shrouded in intrigue and mystery.

As to why am using Whois privacy, " hiding " the ownership of those names - see Biggie post above.

And I'll expand a bit, it became disgusting to have my phone become a conduit for the ignorant, desperate and obnoxious to call and re-call with utterly worthless offers to buy ( steal ) names, to try and sell their preposterous " valuable domains " or to try and sell their absolutely unwanted and ridiculous "expert" services.

And so off to Whois Privacy went our names and as I recall we paid a fee per name in the beginning for the privilege of privacy

I never did outbound, inbound only, so going private, " hiding " deprived me of nothing, and now can enjoy
the joyful silence of my non- ringing phone.

Last edited:
•••
where are they hiding them.... behind a tree, or buried beneath the garage somewhere?

I was thinking the same thing lol. How does one 'hide' a domain portfolio? Unless you just don't make it public? But I don't see that as hiding.

•••
I am not quite sure if I am interpreting hiding the right way but here is my answer.

I do put privacy on when it is available and free, because I feel anyone who wants to buy can find it from the lander. Having it turned on lessens spam as @biggie said.

I have almost every domain I own and have for sale listed in my online portfolio, and that is easy to find from my various social media, NPs, etc. signatures. So as I interpret your question, no i do not in any sense hide my portfolio.

I have sometimes wondered why a fair number on NamePros members make it impossible or difficult to look at any of their portfolio. That is of course their decision to make, and I understand some have a policy of never selling to other domainers, so feel no need to disclose their portfolio. I suspect others do it for privacy reasons - if one can find your online portfolio it is easy in most cases to figure out at least aspects of your identity.

Now it is true that I occasionally hold a very few individual domains not visible in my portfolio. I have 5 in that category now, and the reason is simply I am considering development on them, so until I decide for sure don't want to list them for sale.

Bob

•••
I don’t hide my domains from the public, or my ownership of them.

I can deal with the spam for the chance a real buyer may find me.

•••
Where i can find the Konstantinos portfolio or Elliot or Domainincite or Domainnameware, Thedomains , FS etc..and other huge people in naming biz?
Thank you.

•••
Where i can find the Konstantinos portfolio or Elliot or Domainincite or Domainnameware, Thedomains , FS etc..and other huge people in naming biz?
Thank you.

That's not "hiding". And 'domain collectors"? They are not 'collecting' domains. Trust me, they are not 'hidden' to the right people but rather just not public.

•••
That's not "hiding". And 'domain collectors"? They are not 'collecting' domains. Trust me, they are not 'hidden' to the right people but rather just not public.
How do you know that you are with the right person🤔

•••
Most of my domains were always with registrars that had no privacy and I used to receive a lot of spam. I started moving my names to registrars with free privacy, and even though the spamming did not stop 100%, it did decrease. I am not worried about people not being able to contact me as I have landers, also, the privacy email of the whois always forwards the emails it receives.

•••
So do you mean hiding behind privacy or hiding from members here or what? Question is rather vague.

I use privacy and don’t blame the big boys you mentioned not blasting their entire portfolios. If you need to see the names of a big player you can look at Mike Mann’s names.

•••
Thank you.

Hi

after reading that

the question now, does become....
why do you want or need to know what they own?

the search for a domain of interest, starts with the that. the domain
and who owns it, is secondary, if you want to buy it... to whether it's for sale.

but perhaps you are trying to equate what names are owned by people you look up to, so you could evaluate your "portfolio" against or in comparison to theirs.

where one tries to associate their name with a persona` in the industry, hoping to give it additional perceived value.

or, it may be an attempt to get 'keyword search data', so you can acquire more gtlds that are "mirrored" from their holdings

just pondering the possibilities, of why.

imo...

•••
Hi

after reading that

the question now, does become....
why do you want or need to know what they own?

the search for a domain of interest, starts with the that. the domain
and who owns it, is secondary, if you want to buy it... to whether it's for sale.

but perhaps you are trying to equate what names are owned by people you look up to, so you could evaluate your "portfolio" against or in comparison to theirs.

where one tries to associate their name with a persona` in the industry, hoping to give it additional perceived value.

or, it may be an attempt to get 'keyword search data', so you can acquire more gtlds that are "mirrored" from their holdings

just pondering the possibilities, of why.

imo...
I'd like to know their names is only for research, educational purpose and pricing strategy.
I do not invest in new gtlds or cctlds, only in com net org but more bullish on .com domains.

•••
I'd like to know their names is only for research, educational purpose and pricing strategy.
Hi

since that is the motive,
then in time, if you keep aware, then you might come across some of those answers.

but...i wouldn't hand it out, even if i knew. sorry

imo….

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back