IT.COM

Modern SEO

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
There used to be a time when SEO meant accumulating links to your site. What, you thought that was still the case? That's probably why you're spending so much time on SEO.

What they don't tell you

So let's just say for a moment that everything you know about SEO is a lie. Well, perhaps not a complete lie; it was true at one point in time, and might still be true to some extent. Why, then, are all these "lies" so well established as fact? Everyone knows you need backlinks.

Simply put, if everyone knew how SEO worked, then search engines would be ineffective. The people who need SEO are the people with irrelevant content--that's stretching it a bit, but you probably don't need SEO if you're running Facebook, for example. The people who want their content on top are, ipso facto, the ones with the least relevant content. So if established SEO worked, search engines wouldn't.

So they don't tell you how SEO really works. Conflict of interest, you see.

What they do tell you

If we take a look at what Google frequently says about SEO, they don't quite lie: they're just a bit misleading. Yes, backlinks are important, but not in the same way that you might expect. The importance that they often emphasize has long been deprecated. Why? People figured it out and abused it.

They do tell you one very important thing: the best thing that you can do in terms of SEO is not try to trick the search engine. This is the exact opposite of what everyone seems to think, even though it's well-established. Take a look in your browser's address bar: if this hasn't been plagiarized, and we haven't finished our upgrades yet, you're on a .html page. .html means static content, and this is most definitely not static. The vbSEO plugin that we use--which is no longer maintained, for obvious reasons--thinks it's a good idea to turn every thread into a .html page--or at least, make it look like it's doing that. This is not a good idea. It confuses search engines, which are used to typical web servers hosted by typical people who are being transparent about what they're doing. When a search engine sees that .html extension, it's going to say, "Great, this content is only going to change rarely; I'll crawl this much less often than the .php pages." Obviously, this is not what we want. Waste of time and effort on all accounts.

That was a pretty intuitive example. Some of the other no-nos might surprise you. Don't try to hide keywords: Google knows what's going on. Got a backlink section? Google's going to see that as a sign of trouble. White text on white background? Nice try.

if you're considering using traditional SEO techniques, you are probably better off doing absolutely nothing. Seriously.

Blackhat

I classify blackhat SEO as the use of abnormal behavior or content to attempt to increase search engine rankings. This is a very broad definition of blackhat. NP Clicks falls under it. So do backlinks. Why do I take on this definition? Because this is Google's definition. Use it, and you will be severely penalized.

Let me give you an intuitive example. Bounce rate is quite important. Visitor count... not so much. We're looking for relevance, not popularity. If most of your visitors only view one page, your search rankings will drop. If your bounce rate is higher than 25-30%, you forfeit most SEO advantages. Bouncing has the greatest impact of any user behavior. Downvotes weigh more than upvotes. A lot more.

The worst kind of bounce is a search result bounce. This is when a user clicks your link in the search results, doesn't like what they see, and hits the back button. A script notifies Google of this event. If enough users do it, you'll effectively be blacklisted for corresponding search phrases. The algorithm is most likely based on a complex balance between ratio and absolute count, and is probably pseudo-exponential.

Backlinks

...are pointless. The model is out of date. Far too many people stubbornly swear by it.

For one, it's too easy to manipulate. Search engines have no guarantee that web site owner aren't tampering with the system--in fact, they're guaranteed that people are tampering with the system. Google places almost no weight on links. There are hundreds of sources of them saying otherwise. It's all nonsense. They'd have to be crazy to do it.

Secondly, link count is not indicative of relevance. It holds little association with keywords, aside from marking potentially related sites. If you use a browser plugin to observe all of the links on a web site, you'll see that most are unrelated to the general subject of the subject site. It's useless information on today's Internet.

However

Stockpiling backlinks will still hurt your rank. You have nothing to gain and plenty to lose. If Google thinks you are playing games with links, it'll be a demerit on your record.

What they don't want you to know

You can't beat the system, but you can play along.

1. Publish interactive content. Informative content is nice, but it leads to high bounce rates. SaaS (Software as a Service) applications work great. You can find plenty available for free. Forums are also a classic example. Blogs are a bad choice for SEO.
  2. Real users are the best way to increase your rank. You'll need to find some way to get users other than appearing in search results, as that alone isn't enough. Advertising works, but it's generally too expensive for the average domainer. At lower prices it doesn't pay for itself.
  3. Don't use gimmicks to trick users into joining. You want loyal users. Google knows the difference.
  4. Format your code well, without syntax error or deprecated tags. Use XHTML 1.1 with HTML 5 features. Choose XHTML over HTML when you have the choice. If you think any of these have existed in the past decade, you're doing it wrong: <center>, <font>, <i>, <b>, <marquee>, <blink>
  5. Use the new HTML 5/XHTML 1.1 sectioning elements. Search engines will understand them and provide extra features. For example, put your navigation in <nav>.
  6. Use <h#> for logical headers, not to style content.
  7. Don't use <meta> tags to set keywords or descriptions. Let the search engines handle that.
  8. Always use a descriptive <title> tag, and make sure that your favicon is named /favicon.ico, even if you have a <link> tag for it.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
surprised nobody has mentioned about social signals. I dont know if they (who else but google) have implemented social signals yet, but if not, they will do.

•••
.MyCenteredElement {margin-left:auto; margin-right:auto;}

Don't need the word "center" at all :)

Social signals: they will use them for discovery (i.e. links) if they can crawl them. Google is NOT using social signals for ranking (question specifically answered by Matt Cutts earlier this year - very definite answer, no wiggle room for other interpretations.) G+ however affects personalized results if you are logged in.

Social signals = as easy or easier to "game" than links. Especially those from sites outside of their control.

Last edited:
•••
margin-left:auto; margin-right:auto;

Don't need the word "center" at all :)

That centers the block but inline content you need center. How did we get here?

I didn't know that about bouncing though.. that kind of cool stuff I thought was reserved for STS ;)

•••
text-align:center is still OK (afaik)

•••
one thing that isnt mentioned yet is that pagespeed is somewhat important, the faster your website load the better it is for the user, that is something google cares about and it matters quite a bit but to what extent, as for everthing only those at google know.

I won't go into the details but check your website on google tool for that
http://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/
As often with google it will show errors that comes from their products (adsense)

There are other tools you can use, i personally prefer
gtmetrix.com/
as they go more into details and offer more clues on what and how to fix issue.

Cheers,

•••
<b> and <strong> are different (ever so slightly). Various arguments for and against, especially when (allegedly) Google doesn't mind. Reverting to <b> can therefore save a little bandwidth haha.

Use "b" for presentation, and "strong" for important text.

What I understand is if you do not use both forms Google will treat either the same. Using b tags when you have strong tags effectively tells Google to ignore the importance of the text within such a b tag as if the b tag didn't exist.

•••
You still have to have the word "center" somewhere .. I assume text-align:center is ok?
I think CMS and templates force you to have all your presentation in CSS these days... but if I read one more "Why CSS sucks" article I'm going to scream. I can't wait until 2016 when we rewrite everything prior to the 2018 Internet upgrade that precedes the 2020 "Why you should learn the new Semantic Thingy Web Of Everything Platform"

text-align: center is fine, but for block elements (things you would've previously used align="center" for), the trick is actually to use the margin CSS property. It can get kind of complex, but it's all based on the box model. It's intuitive enough once you've got the background info down.

•••
Use "b" for presentation, and "strong" for important text.

Something like that. Officially, <b> and <i> are for changes in voice, while <strong> and <em> are for important text. You're not guaranteed to get bold/italic styling with either of them, and some browsers do actually use alternative styling in practice.

HTML is like a database: it describes a document. It doesn't say anything about how that document appears to the user; that's CSS' job.

•••
Thanks for the nice information..This is very beneficial for me.

•••
In modern seo you have need to post content on daily basis because Google now give more and more importance for unique and quality content to get high Rank.

•••
1. use H2 or H3 or BOLD on title or important keyword; example your website about computer; make h2/h3/bold to keyword like computer software, computer program, hard drive, etc.
2. make back link for some keyword related to your title; back link address to your website it self.
3. original content, this is the best think you can do; original content easy detected by google seo.

•••
The title if this thread is "modern Seo", not "old school stuff people have been doing since 2009"

H2/H3? Bold? Marginal effect if anything
Search engine submission? Useless and unnecessary.

•••
no doubt SEO changed alot and some things mentiond in OP is correct but Google do give more weigth to social media particluary G+ , If your site page is doing well in G+ then you will gain rankings very fast.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back