NameSilo

Message from Ebay - Is it a scam?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I got an email from [email protected] today saying that I had violated the lanham act and infringed on ebay's famous trademark by registering ebayt.in domain. They have insisted that I disable any website at that address and let the dn expire. Also that I write to them confirming that I agree to this.

Anyone else heard of this or is it a scam.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
no scam... TM enforcement is bug to them... If you are showing bad faith i.e. pretending to be or trade off the back of their name, run to the hills..

If, on the other hand your regged is quite innocent, go here : http://www.chillingeffects.org/index.cgi
And check your facts out

•••
Redirects to DomainCow?
Meh, unless you were planning on using it, not much to lose.
-Allan

•••
•••
allnew2me said:
I got an email from [email protected] today saying that I had violated the lanham act and infringed on ebay's famous trademark by registering ebayt.in domain. They have insisted that I disable any website at that address and let the dn expire. Also that I write to them confirming that I agree to this.

Anyone else heard of this or is it a scam.

Did it ask for any personal information? What all did the email say? If it doesn't ask for any personal information, then I don't think you have anything to lose by replying back to them. If it was a scam, then I'd think they would be trying to get your private information from you such as credit card #, bank account #, etc...

•••
why would someone do that? Its unlikly to be a scam....

•••
They've asked me to confirm in writing that I agree. Thats all.

•••
I doubt very much that it is a hoax....

•••
Just in case it isnt a scam I have replied to the email and remove the name servers associated with this domain. I will let you know what happens next.

Cheers for all your replies.

•••
I received a similiar letter a few weeks ago from ebay regarding my domain - boycottpaypal.info, I think it is legit.

•••
Be careful

Always check the link by mousing over it. If the domain is not ebay.com then it is fake. Subdomains do not count. Many of these crooks wil take a domain like XXXXX.com and add subdomains to make it look legit like signin.ebay.XXXXX.com.

•••
jj2ii3344 - did you respond to their email and disable the website?

Theres only 2 links on the email and theyre both valid links. No unicode, No hidden links, no @ in the url etc.

Last edited:
•••
It is more than likely for real. When I first started I registered myebaytip.com, I did not know about trademarks, and a few weeks later I got an e-mail from Ebay. They told me not to use the name just to let it expire. They keep an eye on domains being registered with ebay and paypal in the name.

•••
allnew2me said:
Just in case it isnt a scam I have replied to the email and remove the name servers associated with this domain. I will let you know what happens next.

Cheers for all your replies.

If you just entered in the email address manually, then it would have to go to eBay. If the email address doesn't exist, then you'd get an email back saying that it can't be sent. It'd almost have to be legitimate, as what would the scammers have to benefit? The most they could get is for you to take down your site temporarily.

It's best to just completely avoid registering names that contain trademarks of large companies, as it's just asking for trouble. Most individuals register names and think along the lines of, "I can sell to the company for millions". But they don't realize that the company doesn't have to buy the name, all they have to do is legally pursue the case and most times they will be forced to hand over the name. These large companies such as eBay have millions and millions to pay for lawyers, they can afford the very best and clean you for everything.

Please do keep us informed. :tu:

•••
It was legit. I replied to the email confirming that I would do what they asked and they sent me a reply back thanking me for my cooperation.

A valuable lesson has been learnt.

•••
allnew2me said:
A valuable lesson has been learnt.

Yeah, me too, from your experience. Thanks.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back