Domain Empire

discuss MayweatherMcGregor.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Chris Hydrick

Top Member
Impact
Morgan Linton wrote about the MayweatherMcgregor.com domain prior to the fight. He pointed out that it was not developed, and that the owner may be missing out on. HERE (don't bother to comment on his site - mine wasn't approved for some unknown reason)

I appreciated the thought, but felt it was a poorly researched article. Hostility driven from Morgan not approving the comment I spent time writing In my comment that Morgan didn't approve, I wrote about the GoDaddy asking price for MayweatherMcGregor.com among other things.

As you can see below, the exact match .com held a $2,000 asking price prior to the fight; still it went unsold and underutilized. Was the name too long to use to promote the fight, or was there just not a need? I don't see much value in the domain now, unless a rematch is scheduled OR somebody wants to write their thoughts of the fight.

upload_2017-8-28_10-56-4.png

The reverse form McGregorMayweather.com was also for sale on GoDaddy, but for 5X more, with a $10,000 asking price. After a quick google, I found that the champions name is always listed first, thus the proper usage is MayweatherMcGregor since Mayweather is the boxing champ.

upload_2017-8-28_10-59-22.png

In Morgans article, he mentioned the owner of MayweatherMcGregor.com was a fellow domainer.
Using DomainTools I found out that the owner is a guy named James Chang who also owns 258 other domain names so it looks like it’s owned by a fellow Domainer. The domain was registered over a year ago on May 5th, 2016.

My comment that wasn't approved on Morgans site - had asserted that the registrant was most likely not a domainer. Given that both James and Chang are common names, you can't assume all names registered to James Chang are registered to the same James Chang. I looked through some of the 258 domains owned by James Chang and found multiple WHOIS addresses leading me to believe there are multiple James Changs, and based off the WHOIS address of MayweatherMcGregor.com it can be concluded that the registrant is not a domainer; not yet at least.

Anyways, what are your thoughts on MayweatherMcGregor.com? Does it still have value? Maybe nostalgic to Mayweather or McGregor? Or post value to a sports writer?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Your comments were posted. Some comments are caught by the spam filter and may be lost.
You are right about the owner. The email address on whois only has this single domain name.

•••
Both these domains have no value IMO. Their usage peaked on fight day after that it's been a downhill. If you put up a small site of few pages then you might get small amount daily from ads for the next few days or couple of months but it won't go very far into the future.

•••
Domains with perceived values that are time sensitive are not worth it imho. There is a very small window of opportunity that disappears completely after the event has completed, so the only real utility would come from a relevant broadcasting company that hand registers the domain themselves.

Personally though, if I was a broadcasting company, I wouldn't register either domain. The best possible domain would have been----> MayweatherVSMcgregor.com

•••
Kind of historical (kind of), but future searches won't be high enough to make it worth keeping.

•••
Your comments were posted. Some comments are caught by the spam filter and may be lost.
You are right about the owner. The email address on whois only has this single domain name.

Thank you for letting me know. In that case, I would like to apologize for the hostility in my OP. A pattern seemed to be developing of bloggers not approving my comments, so I took my concerns to NamePros to be heard. A misunderstanding and lack of patience on my part. Apologies...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back