Domain Empire

Managing the growth of user content

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I have a WP based site where visitors leave lengthy questions as comments, which I then reply to with more lengthy text. The comment and reply probably average 300-400 words.

The result is some of my posts are getting really long which makes it hard to find information and probably makes it hard for G to index everything.

I am considering setting up another domain and creating a question and answer format. That would let me spread the content over more pages making it easier to index and easier for visitors to find what they are looking for.

I could move to a forum approach but I find forum management a lot of trouble and hate to go that route.

Any other suggestions?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Can you share a link of your wp blog? According to my knowledge, comments are useful for blogging and you are receiving almost 300 to 400 word comments, which would be consider as a fresh content when search engine crawl your blog.

I think you should do this;

blog post
Number of Responses
“Comments”
Comments should only visible if someone clicks on “comment” button.

•••
I am considering setting up another domain and creating a question and answer format.

There are some scripts out there that are similar to Yahoo Answers. I don't think they're very expensive, and might be easier to manage than a forum.

•••
The result is some of my posts are getting really long which makes it hard to find information and probably makes it hard for G to index everything.

Hard to find information - maybe yes, for your visitors.

Hard for G to index - definitely no. I have so many posts that rank very high in G,
with NO backlinking, and they have up to 600 comments!

•••
I would suggest making sure that your search system is up to par, and do everything that you can to ensure that users are able to get to the information quickly that is relevant. Google will have no problem with that.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back