IT.COM

Malware detected in cease and desist

NameSilo
Watch

Cal2

Top Member
Impact
Anyone get one of these? I started to open the notice, then thought better of it and cancelled before it opened. At the same time, my 'Alert' said malware was detected and it was dealing with it.

Hi WHOISGUARD PROTECTED

A third party has filed a trademark infringement cease and desist notice for your domain ********.com

You can download the notice here **********. Inmost cases you should take it seriously to avoid further legal trouble. However for random complaint
without any valid reason is quite common and you can ignore.

In case the copyright notice is applicable and unresolved contact your domain registrar and they will
help you to resolve the issue. Please note that, we don't consult anyone individually.

Regards

Claim Domain Right

3600 Las Vegas Blvd. South. Las Vegas, NV 89109

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I doubt this is an attempt to steal domains. Either it is an attempt to install malware or find out who is gullible.

I too have gotten spams related to freshly registered domains. Look at the IP address for the SMTP server it came from, and check it at http://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx

Chances are it is on a lot of blacklists.

•••
It goes without saying that they would be using the usual techniques to harvest bulk data, but my point was that this site generally rather than any specific thread that people may have posted in contains a lot of volunteered information on domains and domain owners. Just clicking the link in your own sig leads to over 70 domains you own and that is without the additional information somebody could find by researching and cross referencing those domains and the associated data etc.

I agree, NP would be easy pickings. But again, the two domains I received it on I haven't even put up for sale on any market place yet. I'm guessing they're running a script like spammers do for any new registrations/changes in the whois db.

Also to add, the two domains I got it on have different whois data!

Last edited:
•••
Anyone know what's the legal term if we really get copyright notice. How to deal with it.

•••
I haven't recieved any emails thankfully. I do my registrations with Godaddy ..i wonder if perhaps there is something in common with who you registered the domain with. Just a thought. .

I started to get all kind of emails related to domains as soon as I got some registered through GoDaddy...

All kinds of notices, design proposals, trademark Infringement, the bunch.

I use four registrars, only the names I get on GoDaddy turn up on these emails...

•••
I've not had this email (yet). I say yet as I get so much spam ranging from web design to fake domain renewals all via the WHOIS.

I should count myself lucky as it's tolerable and not the unsavory spam.

I'd hate to use WHOIS privacy as it's bad for domaining

•••
•••
I'd appreciate if someone could forward me the e-mail, including all headers if you know how. I'm particularly interested in the malware. Send it to [email redacted], and let me know that you sent it so I know to look for it. Thanks! :)

•••
I'd appreciate if someone could forward me the e-mail, including all headers if you know how. I'm particularly interested in the malware. Send it to [email redacted], and let me know that you sent it so I know to look for it. Thanks! :)

Paul, I sent you the message I got, but it bounced back.

•••
I started to get all kind of emails related to domains as soon as I got some registered through GoDaddy..

Mind you - I'm not saying godaddy sells our data to spammers.
Maybe spammers find it easier to explore a specific Whois database and Godaddy being the biggest registrar... It's the perfect target.

•••
Paul, I sent you the message I got, but it bounced back.

Google probably rejected it because of the malware. :( Guess that answers that!

Mind you - I'm not saying godaddy sells our data to spammers.
Maybe spammers find it easier to explore a specific Whois database and Godaddy being the biggest registrar... It's the perfect target.

It's probably easier to target a single registrar's WHOIS servers than a registry's; they're likely to be less secure.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back