IT.COM

debate Make your own domain name appraisal

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

TheBuyerz

Top Member
Impact
Hi,

I don't know which category feet well this thread, so I decided to post it here (Mods can move it to the right category).

I see many people posting domain appraisal requests here:
https://www.namepros.com/forums/domain-appraisal.3/

And most of them, remain with ZERO responses (Why?):
1. Perhaps there is no expert on the niche posted
2. Or the domain name in question do not deserve to spend time on it and undervalued by members

The goal of this thread, is to give some known tips to get an approximate value for your domain name without flooding the appraisal section and reserve it only for a hard appraisals which can't be made with this few tips (I invite also others members to give their own advices and complete it with their own experience).

Benefit of appraising your own/other domain names?

It's important to gain this knowledge, so that when a domain name is already on the market ... you will be able to negociate it at a small price by giving the seller a solid arguments about the real value of the domain name and the right price to pay for it, and vice versa if you are in the role of seller (A right appraisal, will result with a hugh profits with each sales).

Notice that an appraisal for gTLD and newTLD are not same, and between gTLDs (.COM and .NET for example) it's also not same value, and all this depends on a specific niche you are targeting, domain hack, region etc.

Few questions to ask to your self before applying a BIN price for your domain name:

1. In how many other extensions does your domain name is taken

This shows how populare your keyword(s) on the eyes of people.

2. Check for domain names already sold in the past

Two/Three/... words domain name? Split it to individual words and then with the help of @NameBio, make a filtered search to fetch similar already sold domain names.

Example: MyWord.com

Search on namebio for "My", and placement "At the Start", choose .COM extension and there you go
Search for "Word", and placement "At the End", choose .COM ...

Finally, Choose all domain names that are related to yours, even if they are not related to the same niche (MyPhone.com, MyCar etc...).

Namebio: https://namebio.com/

3. Check for domain names on the market

This will help you to get at how much a similar domain names are selling right now in the market ... if yours is better ... more it's cheaper more it will be sold quickly.

Make a search for similar keywords on: Sedo, Dan, Afternic, Uniregistry, Epik, Dynadot, Namesilo marketplaces etc.

4. If your domain name is in newTLDs

Check for the best sale price we got on that particular LTD, you will get an idea about the value of your domain names combined with the previous tips.

5. Submit your domain name to BrandBucket (Or similar)

If it holds value ... they will certainly make an appraisal for you and suggest you to sell it at a particular price (Notice that it is not a strong reference, because even they didn't accepted it ... this doesn't mean he is worthless, they focus on their own criterias).

6. Robot Appraisals (Estbot / Godaddy)

Personaly I don't take into account their appraisals, I see it as a great sale argument only.

But in case of Godaddy, our goal is to focus on the already sold domain names in the past ! They give you an estimated price for your domain name, but also a list of domain names sold on Godaddy and in most cases they are not listed on Namebio.

Estibot: https://www.estibot.com/
Godaddy: https://godaddy.com/domain-value-appraisal

7. Allowing your potential buyers to Make Offers

No way to find the right price for your domain name? Allowing your buyers to make offers will let you gather some stats and juge yourself about the value of your own domain name, you can reject the firsts offers if you are certain that it brings interest to many, and from that take the highest offer as min price to accept and try to negociate more. Especially if you own a domain name of an obvious skyrocketing tech or other field.

In case there is no offers, it's possible that there is other alternatives on the market cheaper and better, and here a BIN is your superhero.

8. .COM as an element of comparison
Sometimes you got a domain hack or a domain in another extension other than .COM, here the goal is to contact .COM holder in any way to get the price he is asking for ... from here you can deduce approximatly the price of our domain name (Of course combined with the previous tips also).

It's also valid for domains with a prefix like: TheDomain.com, MyDomain.com etc.

This thread is not complete and exhaustive, new tips will be added regularly or when available.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
9. Decrease minimum accepted offer overtime
You still uncertain about the value of your domain name ? Even if you are convaiced that it hold a great value ? Put your BIN price that you think it's reasonable accompagned with a make offer button and a minimum price you are willing to accept, if over a certain time you got no offers, decrease the minimum accepted price until you get your first one ...

I redirect your to this awesome blog post for more informations about this subject:
https://www.namepros.com/blog/setting-the-minimum-offer-value-for-a-domain-name.1216792/

•••
The possibility of offending someone is greater than the number offered. I am one of the few that will even offer an appraisal and will base it off previous names sold or cpc traffic value which anyone could research and the human approach of likelihood of a sale. The thing about appraisal requests is it isn't about getting highest appraisal on best names posted. It is uncertain domains looking for a price range. If you need to ask expect reg fee as you didn't need to post it if you know it is worth dollars your'e after public opinons. If we are to self appraise do it and see if others come close to your figure plenty will just assume opposion is attacking if can't equate to anothers imagination.

Last edited:
•••
Most don’t bother responding to those requests because they are almost always newbs with very low caliber names who get offended when someone tells them its garbage.

Self appraisal is acquired with time, experience, watching other sales, keyword popularity rising or falling greatly etc. Most automated appraisal tool are at best a very loose guide. Most of us pay no attention to those.

People buying do not look at data points (only other domainers do that). They look at how much they like your name and then the price.

•••
The problems:
- Many members are not native English speaker
- Hand registered crap names by putting 2/3 words together and hope to hit the jack pot
- When someone makes a comments they are upset because they believe the crap names are premium names

The reality is:
- Appraisal means nothing until you got the buyer
- Past sale results do not guarantee future sale
- Appraisal gives you the wrong message about the value of the name
- Statistical values also mean nothing: EMD, How many extensions are taken, how old the name is, search results, etc....

•••
Who is the domain valuation requester going to believe (or should I say fall for)

The experienced $xxx,xxx plus sellers opinion of 'No Value'
OR the fellow newbies appraisal of Thousands of $$$$.

We've seen it all the time in the appraisal section. In most instances there's no benefit to responding to requests unless the word/s really do stand out. Then they'll get a fair share of responses

•••
It seems that opinions shared about offending someone posting a garbage domain name for appraisal, which is in a way the goal of this thread ... to minimize requests for that section!

But there is also one thing that attracted my attention, is that some members trying to decrease value of a domain name intentionally at aim to have a buying opportunity at a lower price, I judge nobody, we are all here for business purpose and making money, but there is some ethics to respect and a reputation to preserve ... educating people for self appraisal will prevent this kind of practice to happen.

Appraising a domain name under a specific niche and expertise your knowledge on it is important to build a strong portfolio with a valuable domains.

- Statistical values also mean nothing: EMD, How many extensions are taken, how old the name is, search results, etc....

Thank you for your intervention on this thread.

It's a strategy like another ... many domainers their main target are domain names with big number of TLD the domain is registered, you can check that on the REQUESTS section. Which is a logical way of thinking since it bring interest to that particular domain name, but at some conditions (All other extensions are developed by different webmasters/companies/etc. and not own by domainers, and not regged by the same entity), like it's possible to sell it for a domain reseller.

Keywords search results depends on the domain name ofc.

But finally like you said, the number of offers/buyers that matters at the end of the day, but understanding the minimum is a plus for negotiations and other stuffs.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back