IT.COM

Mail.com and its Userbase Changes Hands for “$50-$100 Million”

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Jay Penske owner of the California based Mail.com Media Corporation (MMC) recently sold the Mail.com domain name and its 14 million users to United Internet AG, a huge German telecom and ISP. The deal has been called a “strategic partnership” in which Mail.com e-mail accounts will still be handled by MMC on it’s platform until eventually being transferred to GMXMail, a subsidiary of United Internet AG.
Read more...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Does that include all the other domains that mail.com uses for email?

•••
I'm not sure about this, but I think the transaction involves the whole business.

•••
•••
For clarification, the sale is only for the domain Mail.com and the e-mail side of the business. None of Penske's other virtual properties are part of this sale. MMC will handle the e-mail accounts until they are eventually transferred to GMXMail, a subsidiary of United Internet AG. After the e-mail accounts are integrated into the GMX platform, users will still be able to use their @mail.com addresses.

Thanks Giuseppe for citing my article!

-

•••
Wow I'm bummed!

I have used / use Mail.com for many years - consider it a pain with the incessant banner ads [ on the free accts.] BUT much easier to find/wade thru massive emails than nasty hotmail. . .

But I'm bummed to learn this -- b/c United Internet AG is the parent Co. of 1and1 - etc. I think! _\|/_

And I've been trying to avoid *Them* like the plague since transferring all my doms out!! D-:

•••
For clarification, the sale is only for the domain Mail.com and the e-mail side of the business. None of Penske's other virtual properties are part of this sale. MMC will handle the e-mail accounts until they are eventually transferred to GMXMail, a subsidiary of United Internet AG. After the e-mail accounts are integrated into the GMX platform, users will still be able to use their @mail.com addresses.

Thanks Giuseppe for citing my article!

-
Hi Mike, you're welcome. Thanks for the clarification!

•••
So what is going to happen with all those vanity email addresses when the platform upon which they reside, is sold to GMX?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back