Domain Empire

.io Lucky.io sold $67000

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Who is lucky

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

private123

Top Member
Impact
20180929_174105.jpg
Who is lucky?
I think seller is very lucky :happy:

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So true. Mike can bid up anyone on any given domain and keep it for registration cost or take the sale.

I’m going to create a thread and partner with someone who can beat his software to catch deleting .io

PM me right away if you want to compete with park.io. We’ll make a fortune.
Been there, done that, was acquired, he now has the best tech. Good luck.

•••
•••
Hard to believe anyone would pay 67k for Lucky.io In fact, even 10% of that would be a good price, imo. It's crazy dot-io is valued so high since only domainers and techies (probably not all) are aware of this British Indian Ocean country-code. Domains such as Lucky.tech lucky.global lucky.online lucky.website lucky.site lucky.store lucky.gold and many others are available for 3k or less. Those names could work for business startups so why pay 67k for lucky.io You could ask 1,000 random people about dot-io and likely 98% of the public would have no idea what it is or somehow connect it to a tech business or a start-up. So how does it have an advantage, maybe I am missing something?

Last edited:
•••
I must be missing something too. But I think .io is a fad, just like .ai is now gaining some traction for certain types of projects. At some point .me was fashionable too (even .cc a very long time ago).
Personally, I would never use a .io knowing it's the TLD of Diego Garcia and it is a very sad story.

•••
The point is internet is growing and it seems that .io is becoming something like the silicon valley... coders familiar with io term. And confererances like Google I/O, succesfull entrepreneurs who has .io web sites makes .io popular.

•••
If the end user bought it, it will most likely be used for gambling or lottery site. I maybe wrong but I'm guessing.

•••
•••
•••
Please do your own research as I do not want to be quoted on this...
So then don't make random accusatory statements that you're afraid to back up! It helps no one

•••
I must be missing something too. But I think .io is a fad, just like .ai is now gaining some traction for certain types of projects. At some point .me was fashionable too (even .cc a very long time ago).
Personally, I would never use a .io knowing it's the TLD of Diego Garcia and it is a very sad story.

Absolutely.

We are going for .ai for a small project for example, because the .ai matches well with the name and what the site is offering. But make no mistakes, if .com is available (and we will likely matchup with keyworldAI.com (which you can't do with IO :D ), we would absolutely go with that. Same with .co. If the business takes off then let's go for .com then if the price is right and we haven't pumped it too much.

.IO screams "we are here because .com is currently taken and out of our budget" and we can get our single-word name here. The techies have adopted it so awesome, but as an aftermarket purchase for my company name? No thanks.

Is it giving customer confidence or domainer perceived confidence? That is the key question. Again, the tech crowd have started to use it but if they are my consumer, they may like .io for themselves, but they will not gave a crap if I approach them from .io or .am.

For a company starting up, that is absolutely fine and makes complete business sense if you don't have the initial budget. Go reg-fee in .me, .ai, .co, .io, .sh, .whatever and just get the friggin thing started. Once you have proof of concept then go for your .com and cross your fingers you haven't alerted the owner enough that the price has sky rocketed- or that the name has been sold to another business.

But as an aftermarket purchase to start the process.

dontbelievethehype.jpg

Go to another extension for $50-$100 and spend that $67,000 USD on marketing for example so everyone is aware. Because you are going to have to create that awareness on .io anyways.

This is what I would advise in a name branding consultation anyways after looking at all aspects and budgets. But again, .com before release yourself to the world is the money play- if you got the startup budget.

Last edited:
•••
.io is kind of a funny extension to me. It means absolutely nothing to the consumer. But the tech guys like it and in their little bubble give it value

You're looking at this from the wrong "consumer" angle. Most of these companies are angling for venture capital or to be bought out. In order to do that, they need to attract the smartest programmers. Look at https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/ Techie for sure, but it's obviously something bolted onto a .com. A programmer sees another company actively updating their api on Github then checks out their homepage. Minimal material design, .io extension, all gets him (or her) thinking it might be cool to work for them. That's knowing their audience. I don't think people understand how fierce the competition is for top coders. Get the best coders & you'll have the best product.

.io is young and scrappy with long hours and a pot of gold at the end (stock options). .com is an established dinosaur with ample time off for wife & kids and company picnics.

Oh yeah, looks like Google's on board too - https://events.google.com/io/

Last edited:
•••
Ive long suspected the reason they don't allow other people to list domains for sale (which sounds like big business right?) is because they can't bid up other people's names without paying out of pocket. To include them therefore would poke holes in the prices they apparently fetch.

•••
And Im nearly certain (you can ask me why) that park.io was the longtime owner of lucky.io before it sold.

•••
Ive long suspected the reason they don't allow other people to list domains for sale (which sounds like big business right?) is because they can't bid up other people's names without paying out of pocket. To include them therefore would poke holes in the prices they apparently fetch.

You may be on to something.... I really wish they'd permit outside .io listings. It could be a lot of income in fees and such for them.

•••
or a loss in fees because it would be clear that outside domains didn't realize the prices that dropped domains get. And their business would be scrutinized.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back