Dynadot

opinion Live chat on landing pages anyone got better conversion with it?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Thinking of adding that feature to my website that I’m developing at the moment
I think that If I manage to capture the prospects in real time that would make a big difference
Anyone tried that and could provide some data would be really thankful
Thanks a lot in advance

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Guys I do fully agree that we will get a lot of spam from this. Thats pretty normal for a domaining lander. Also, you get spam within leads.

HOWEVER
Think of this possibility.
A startup guy looking for names, and just types it in and needs some education on domaining. This guy wont actually buy the first name he/she lands on, but instead will need to chat with you as an expert, where you will give him various options on the spot.
Thats how the guys at DAN, and Godaddy Chatter work like.

Its for the education of a prospect.
Also, some people want to have more knowledge before giving away their personal information.

Again, the more you endure spam and the **it you get out of it, the more chances you get to find that diamond in the rough!

Just my 2 cents!

•••
It won't help me sell only hinder for various reasons as i am not looking to be put on spot with and want to calculate my response. I am trying to slow customer down and get a commitment not answer their one question without obtaining name number. I am asking for their offer not coming up with a bin.

•••
It won't help me sell only hinder for various reasons as i am not looking to be put on spot with and want to calculate my response. I am trying to slow customer down and get a commitment not answer their one question without obtaining name number. I am asking for their offer not coming up with a bin.
I put BINs on my landers, so we are different here.
I ask them questions like:
1) What are you going to use this domain for?
2) I understand your concern about the security of the transaction, we use Escrow.com the world's largest escrow in the domaining history
3) Do you have other names similar to this as I want a name with the word "Bright"... just an example.

And many more!

Imagine you get hold of an incubator and cut a bulk deal with him/her?

We have to do more nowadays to educate customers as the options are huge.
Thats why Squadhelp is holding contests. It gives customers options. We could be the advisor not only options providers.

Again, its a subjective matter, but I am a fan of maintaining immediate prospects and converting them to customers.

•••
Do not do what I am writing, its not honest, it's for educational purposes only.

When they come to page have in big words on top:

Name listed 6 minutes ago.

Under that write:

X,XXX Buy Now

Under that a chat button with text below it:

3 Potential buyers chatting now, click the button to get in line, approximate wait time 38 minutes

under that

Heavy pitch that justifies the domain price

Nobody will click that chat button, if they do talk to them.

After 1 minute of then on site and not clicking buy now, change the price and buy now area to:

Domain sold! Buyers email address: [some email that goes to you]

Good chance they email that buyer to see if he wants to sell it quick for a profit

Another idea is to turn the page into a fake live auction, they arrive, it looks like they just lucked out, the domain is in auction, bidders bidding, less than 2 minutes left, figure out the rest

A person with no morals can sell as many names as they wish using mind games. Many businesses use aggressive tactics to get sales, domainers are for the most part very honest.

Last edited:
•••
Do not do what I am writing, its not honest, it's for educational purposes only.

When they come to page have in big words on top:

Name listed 6 minutes ago.

Under that write:

X,XXX Buy Now

Under that a chat button with text below it:

3 Potential buyers chatting now, click the button to get in line, approximate wait time 38 minutes

under that

Heavy pitch that justifies the domain price

Nobody will click that chat button, if they do talk to them.

After 1 minute of then on site and not clicking buy now, change the price and buy now area to:

Domain sold! Buyers email address: [some email that goes to you]

Good chance they email that buyer to see if he wants to sell it quick for a profit

Another idea is to turn the page into a fake live auction, they arrive, it looks like they just lucked out, the domain is in auction, bidders bidding, less than 2 minutes left, figure out the rest

A person with no morals can sell as many names as they wish using mind games. Many businesses use aggressive tactics to get sales, domainers are for the most part very honest.

man you started well
Then went to an interesting zone
Let’s stay focused on a normal selling technique with lesser CIA style of sales :)

•••
Its for the education of a prospect.
Also, some people want to have more knowledge before giving away their personal information.

I think you're right. There is a lot of potential in automating part of the education process and warming up leads in a way that feels 10000% more personal than what everyone is doing. Even the best of the best right now, Afternic landers, or Dan using the live chat - they're all very passive.

In thinking about this more yesterday I've actually gotten quite excited about the prospect of designing more elaborate chatbot conversations that try to anticipate needs, things people might be asking about, provide domain stats or comps, all sorts of things.

Some of the examples you're describing can indeed be shifty marketing tactics, like the almost ubiquitous e-commerce lower left corner pop-up that alerts you to how many people have looked at this product in the last day. Some of that software actually shows genuine data and there's nothing wrong with that, but there is a looot of lying and making up numbers.

But then, you get into abstract conversations like "a person with no morals." If I must remind you, the vast majority of people who land on a domain name you own and are not using probably think you're an abhorrent squatter who should go die, for being in the way of their opportunity to register a one word .com for $8.99 in 2020.

There's nothing morally wrong about trying to convince or nudge someone to buy something by offering them data about what they're buying - no more morally wrong than selling anything at all, or capitalism, for that matter.

•••
I was thinking of using a live chat plugin but couldn't find one. They all didn't fit my site like it just looked weird and I just have a contact page instead which is showing to be much better. As I can answer the emails when I want.

•••
and think about this:
it slows the loading of website
How does it slow the landing page until it is clicked on, Frank? I would have thought a simple button makes no difference.

For many of my parked domains/domains-for-sale, I use the Whatsapp chat option. Since many buyers browse through smartphone, they can instantly click the link and open chat with me!
This seems very simple and useful to me. Thanks @April004 ! I do not currently use Whatsapp but maybe I will sign up for an account simply to try this out on a few.

At Epik you can leave the chat enabled, so that I presume someone selecting that from your lander chats with whoever is handling customer service at Epik. What other marketplaces offer this feature on their landers? Has anyone had it result in a sale?

Thanks for this thread, @bazabizo - a topic worthy of discussion.

Bob

•••
I tried this for about a year at BetterNames(dot)com, but removed it because it never led to much for me. I wish I could share my old chat log, but no longer have access. But if I were to just go off of memory, 95% or more of the contacts were spam.

The real customers that would contact me via chat were usually for cheap domains under $500, or from lowballers who were trying to get a $2,500 domain for $700. In total, I had about 2-3 sales from live chat, both insignificant to my total sales. I would estimate that my live chat sales were about $1,000 and my total sales for the same year were $120,000. Each of these sales would have completed via email anyway as none of them were impulse buys.

I don't know if you've ever had to negotiate one of your domains on the fly, but it's not something I prefer. I would rather be able to research who I'm talking to, research the current demand for the domain, then send a well thought-out email.

This makes me think of a recent post from Rick that helped me confirm what I've always thought, that instant communication is often overrated when it comes to negotiation and more often than not, creates a disadvantage for the call or chat receiver unless the call/chat is planned in advance.

Last edited:
•••
The real customers that would contact me via chat were usually for cheap domains under $500, or from lowballers who were trying to get a $2,500 domain for $700. In total, I had about 2-3 sales from live chat, both insignificant to my total sales. I would estimate that my live chat sales were about $1,000 and my total sales for the same year were $120,000. Each of these sales would have completed via email anyway as none of them were impulse buys.

I don't know if you've ever had to negotiate one of your domains on the fly, but it's not something I prefer. I would rather be able to research who I'm talking to, research the current demand for the domain, then send a well thought-out email.

Here's a thought: what if we could pre-qualify, and price-anchor, worthy leads?

95-99% of inquiries on any domains, whether they are via email, landing page, or make offer on marketplaces, are worthless. An easy solution for me has been placing BINs on 99% of my names. Inquiry volume has plummeted, but I've made more money since I started doing that. It makes sense - lead checks out the domain, sees a price, may think it's too expensive, looks away. If they keep coming back, and see the price hasn't changed, and there's no way for them to make an offer, and they still want it - they'll buy.

But I still wonder about lower-tier domains I may be losing out sales on. Like the 500 99c .co I just registered. I did that last year, put BINs on all of them, and made a decent return. But maybe if I had had make offer available, I may have sold more in the $3-$700 range. So, how do I combine the anchoring value of a (higher) BIN price, with the flexibility of make offer?

You can set up chatbots to inquire leads about their price range, and turn them away if they don't match yours - or turn them toward other options in your portfolio. I'm still experimenting, but I set up that chatbot I mentioned earlier on 10 names this week, all names I'm not eager to sell under $10k. And I've gotten about a dozen inquiries (probably most from the link in my post above, but bear with me).

I have four "channels" on my chatbot, essentially.

A. Lead selects "I'm just browsing." I set up a nice automated reply, moving on.
B. Lead selects "I'm interested in this domain." My chatbot asks what they want to do with it, then prompts them to select a price range.
---B1. $500-$1000: I essentially say no thanks, but in that price range you should check out available domains. I don't capture an email, they're not worth my time.
---B2. $1-$5k and $5-10k: These are currently set up as distinct response choices, but have the same outcome: Thanks, that's a healthy budget, but not for this name. Are you open to other names? (If yes, I capture an email, and will follow up personally. If no, they are asked to return if their budget changes.)
---B3. $10k+: That's a worthwhile lead. Right now I just have it set up as an email request to set up an appointment to discuss, but I'm planning on integrating a call button. The lead is warmed up, qualified, so it's worth my time.

This is all to say, it's not a binary game. Doesn't have to be BIN or make offer, live chat (&spam) or no interaction. We can set up interactions that increase the number of leads we get, filter spam, qualify leads, and get us more information to work with to inch closer to a sale.

•••
A. Lead selects "I'm just browsing." I set up a nice automated reply, moving on.
B. Lead selects "I'm interested in this domain." My chatbot asks what they want to do with it, then prompts them to select a price range.
---B1. $500-$1000: I essentially say no thanks, but in that price range you should check out available domains. I don't capture an email, they're not worth my time.
---B2. $1-$5k and $5-10k: These are currently set up as distinct response choices, but have the same outcome: Thanks, that's a healthy budget, but not for this name. Are you open to other names? (If yes, I capture an email, and will follow up personally. If no, they are asked to return if their budget changes.)
---B3. $10k+: That's a worthwhile lead. Right now I just have it set up as an email request to set up an appointment to discuss, but I'm planning on integrating a call button. The lead is warmed up, qualified, so it's worth my time.

This is all to say, it's not a binary game. Doesn't have to be BIN or make offer, live chat (&spam) or no interaction. We can set up interactions that increase the number of leads we get, filter spam, qualify leads, and get us more information to work with to inch closer to a sale.

That sounds like a worthwhile effort and will add value to your sales pipeline.

•••
It only makes a difference if the traffic is substantial and targeted. I get a lot of confused good for nothings on mine. Need a marketing campaign. Or established presence.

•••
•••
In my experience with Tawk.to, people very rarely initiate chats, and 50% of the time it's because they're very serious about buying the name or else it's just some kid saying hi. What I found is most valuable about this is doing followup. If someone sends an inquiry, I might hop on Tawk.to and see if they are still on the page, and I'll try to initiate a chat. Usually this doesn't work, but it let's the buyer know they can talk to me live. Sometimes the prospect opens my response email and then go visit the page, and that's another opportunity to chat. The best is, when someone is really ready to buy the name and go on the chat to initiate final negotiations. This live chat makes it much easier / faster to close than just emails. Also, I can see what the buyer is typing live before they send the message, so you get a great idea of their mindset. I've closed at least two 5k+ sales on live chat.

Last point, I stopped trying to initiate chats with people unless they contacted me first. They have never responded to this.

Last edited:
•••
Are you closing the sale or looking for opinion as could consider using this technique on bins if proven working. My main objection is i am not we but a one man show with commitments that would need to nominate justify my time.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back