Dynadot

poll Lifetime domain profits

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

What is the approx. total profit/loss you have since you started domaining?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • -$25,000+ (lost $25k or more)

votes
    6.0%
  • -$15,000 to -$24,999 (loss)

votes
    2.3%
  • -$5,000 to - $14,999 (loss)

votes
    4.5%
  • -$500 to -$4,999 (loss)

votes
    9.7%
  • -$499 to $500 (small or break even)

votes
    19.6%
  • $501 to $5,000 (profit)

votes
    16.5%
  • $5,001 to $15,000 (profit)

votes
    8.9%
  • $15,001 to $25,000 (profit)

votes
    4.1%
  • $25,001 to $100,000 (profit)

votes
    10.7%
  • $100,001 to $500,000 (profit)

votes
    8.4%
  • $500,000+ (profit)

votes
    9.1%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

lambo.com

Top Member
Impact
A poll to assess any domainer profits after paying our renewal fees and writing off costly mistakes.

Related:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Whether your good or bad at domaining it doesn't count assets or allow to value assets so the best domainers might be always showing a loss called turn over and reinvesting.
If every time you made a k you reinvested it then you will continue to show a loss to tax man.

Last edited:
•••
So 2 very rich people on the forum then....or they clicked the wrong radio button :xf.grin:

•••
The top earners wont tell or even click.

•••
this poll has 30 votes so far, very interesting data.

You'll be able to see when you vote if haven't already.

•••
The top earners wont tell or even click.
And the low earners will claim to have made the most. Polls are so easy to manipulate. ...whatever.

•••
And the low earners will claim to have made the most. Polls are so easy to manipulate. ...whatever.
I have more faith in the good people of NP. To lie about something like this only hurts how you feel about yourself.

•••
Noone can be alone by selecting any of the options.

Domainers are all across the spectrum, no value has 0 votes at this point.

•••
•••
I earn small profit because i enter in domain industry last 3 months

•••

polls are anonymous

one needs to be seriously deranged to lie on anonymous poll lol

•••
A per the poll so far , the majority seem to be making profits, it's contrary to every thing i have read so far but is heartening to see:xf.smile: maybe a tad skewed cause of the sample size.

•••
A per the poll so far , the majority seem to be making profits, it's contrary to every thing i have read so far but is heartening to see:xf.smile: maybe a tad skewed cause of the sample size.

If one considers up to $5K lifetime a profit...

Above 5K lifetime, it is only about 2/5, and only 1/8 is above $100K.

Again, this are lifetime numbers. Someone who would have worked at McDonald's for 5 years at minimum pay could have reported $100K+ for the period.

•••
If one considers up to $5K lifetime a profit...

Above 5K lifetime, it is only about 2/5, and only 1/8 is above $100K.

Again, this are lifetime numbers. Someone who would have worked at McDonald's for 5 years at minimum pay could have reported $100K+ for the period.

yes, but you gotta admit domaining is way more fun than burger fliping

•••

Sure. The thing is the skill level of many is more suitable for burger flipping, no offence to those.

To be successful in domain investments, you need a decent level of few major skills.

•••
I know some nuttah's among us have started thinking about burger flipping domains. I'll be harsh if I see them in the appraisal section :xf.laugh:

•••
Sure. The thing is the skill level of many is more suitable for burger flipping, no offence to those.

To be successful in domain investments, you need a decent level of few major skills.

but........ they're both called flipping no?

•••
•••
I don't want to be rude or so, but sometimes I wonder why some people continue with their domaining without a profit.

Is it really fun enough to do it year after year without a profit? Ok, I understand that everyone are looking for "that big sale", but anyway?!

•••
I don't want to be rude or so, but sometimes I wonder why some people continue with their domaining without doing profit.

Is it really fun enough to do it year after year without a profit? Ok, I understand that everyone are looking for "that big sale", but anyway?!

domaining is fun.
selling domains is even funner

Last edited:
•••
domaining is fun.
selling domains if even funner

Sure, be able to catch a great name or sell one is exciting. But personally, I would never do it without a profit.

•••
I don't want to be rude or so, but sometimes I wonder why some people continue with their domaining without a profit.

Throwing good money after bad is an universal problem. You kinda lose your senses once you are down under (more of an ego issue and requires financial discipline to call it quits)

•••

I domain for profit. Down the road. And last year. Probably this year too. Because you never now when you might have to check out. (And when Huge Domains will flock to your rotting carcass).

Last edited:
•••
Over seven figures (lifetime) for me.

•••
It's an interesting poll. It appears that the majority are somewhere between small profit and small loss, which is not unreasonable if the majority are in essence in it as an interest as opposed to a significant part of their income.

I personally am risk averse, which means that I don't plan to put much other money in. By the same token, as I make small sales all of that is put back into more domains, so I will never probably show much of a profit if that is how we interpret profit.

The Q was asked by @Fancy.domains why stay in if you are not making profit.

I think there are several reasons:
(a) You find it fun. Most hobbies take time and money without expected return.
(b) You have lost some and (in a typical gambling way) feel determined to win it back to prove you have it together.
(c) You believe that you have something to offer a wider community by helping them get great names.
(d) You want to change the field, for example, by helping promote domain name phrases, or using domains in some unique way, or a certain set of extensions.

•••
Back