Domain Empire

Keeping Users logged in between Wordpress subdirectory and main site

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I am wanting to figure out how to keep members logged in between my primary website and a WP blog in a subfolder.

I have already setup the wordpress external authentication plugin so that people are only registering/logging in via my primary websites database and that seems to work fine..... but the issue i am having is that being logged in doesn't carry over between the main site and the wp site. I can log in fine via the wp page using my main site credentials but, if I navigate back to the main website, I am not registered as logged in and the same goes if I am logged in via the main site and then navigate to the subfolder blog, am no longer recognized as an already logged in user.

I have done a lot of looking around hoping to find some plugn dealing with this, since it seems like enough people would want to provide a simple "log in once" option for members between a main website and blog, but surprisingly could not find one. So hoping that it is indeed something easy, not even warranting a plugin, that I didn't think of and that some wp guru knows what needs to be done, via auth cookies or whatnot so that when a member is logged in via the main site they will be recognized as a logged in member on the wp blog too.....

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What is your main website? Something custom coded?

Is this the plugin you're using?
http://wordpress.org/plugins/external-db-auth-reloaded/

It seems your logins are still both separate, your main website only sets it's login session/cookies and the wordpress one only sets its own.

This is the wordpress login function
http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/wp_signon

If your login script is getting the username/password you use this

Code:
require_once('blog/wp-includes/user.php.');
$creds = array();
	$creds['user_login'] = 'example';
	$creds['user_password'] = 'plaintextpw';
	$creds['remember'] = true;
	$user = wp_signon( $creds, false );
	if ( is_wp_error($user) )
		echo $user->get_error_message();

Without more info it's hard to say more.

•••
anyone that has done this who can give some tips?

•••
thanks chicken for taking the time to read the issue and give your input!

yes, I am using that plugin and seems to be working, is accessing the login data from my primary sites DB and all.... just isn't recognizing it if i am logged in and come over to the subfolder...

so this code you gave, do I use it as is or need to plugin whatever the column headers are in my main login table for user_login and plaintextpw?

and where do i put this code, in the wp install or my main site somewhere?

thanks for the help!

Last edited:
•••
First of all to reduce the confusion you can just forget about plugins over here.

It is a simple solution.

Put

<?php
foreach($_SESSION as $key=>$value)
{
echo "$key - $value<br />";
}
?>

At the top of the header file in WP.

Now you will be able to see how your sessions are working on this side.

Just use same/similar sessions/sessionnames on the other side of the script and it will all work out nicely.

Now you can just remove that foreach thing from the header file.

Thanks.

•••
thanks chicken for taking the time to read the issue and give your input!

yes, I am using that plugin and seems to be working, is accessing the login data from my primary sites DB and all.... just isn't recognizing it if i am logged in and come over to the subfolder...

so this code you gave, do I use it as is or need to plugin whatever the column headers are in my main login table for user_login and plaintextpw?

and where do i put this code, in the wp install or my main site somewhere?

thanks for the help!

You could use that on your custom site, the require_once would need to point to wherever your wordpress installation is.

You should be grabbing those 2 values from the login form after you've authenticated the user.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back