Keep Your Portfolio Lean!

SpaceshipSpaceship
SpaceshipSpaceship
SpaceshipSpaceship
Watch

Zilla

dnsilo.comTop Member
Impact
1,777
for people have just interest on domaining, instead live on it, like, every year like spend $500-1k, enjoy search/read latest industry trend, like search some interesting name, like earn some money back from park, dreaming a luky sell, which means, for a people like me, I want give some suggestion base on my own experience...[which means it is not for the real "investor", I have no idea how they works, I feel most of them come to this area at 199x...my suggestion only for people come into this area post 2005 and have a limited budgeting below than $1k/year]

1. find a cheap but OK register, the register need well known by others, easy to free push, cover most majoy extension, can use paypal, I use NC..but not really cheap, and I guess namepros may be better, it is easy for our namepros member, right? not need goto somewherelse....

2. only reg the the cool name youself really like and want keep a long long time...but don't reg too many, 20-50 is enough, .com .in is my favorite....com still the king, but alway consider .in's future...for .in, if u can reg/buy some good LLL, pls buy it...this will cost u every year 300 $ around

3. if u like build ur own site, and try different type of website, u can buy a host as well, I like dreamhost, but pls remember you only need spend very small $ to try one year, then u can find if build a website is really fit u...remember, if u only want have a personal blog, what u need do is goto some public blogger site to start, if u want make it more professional, reg a ur own blog name, point ur name to that ur blog on that public blogger site....in this case, u not need a host, and u enjoy a real blogging...

3. spend ur most budgeting to buy real premium name here at a reseller price....buy a name may be expensive, but remember, it is better than reg a lots of bad name, and finally struggling on renew or not.... consider u buy a good name at $800 vs reg 100 bad name, 1 good name is only spend u 8$ to renew...but u renew 100 bad name, u need spend $800 and that is every year!

4. keep ur portfolio lean...keep a small premium collection is better than own 500 bad name..and easy for you survive in this area, I know some one spend lots of $ to reg a lots of bad name, finally, they lost interesting, their name all dropped, and they never back....domaining become a failure to their life.....
 
1
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Unstoppable Domains — AI StorefrontUnstoppable Domains — AI Storefront
Great advice, and excellent post Zilla ... Lean And Mean™, words to live by in '08! :snaphappy: :imho:

Happy Holidays! :santa:
-Jeff B-)
 
0
•••
very good post
 
0
•••
I learnt this early (which beneifted me greatly) never fresh reg'd anything in the beginning (except in late 90s), bought generic .coms. Kept my portfolio under 100. 80% of my domains were strong generic keyword .coms (for quite awhile) After a few good sales, I registered and developed many new/or dropped names (experimental), which in turn, sold many of those for very good profit.

I am still learning, and if I get the time I hope to develop more of my high traffic .coms. I found development is were it is at (for me at least)

Great advice Zilla :tu:
 
0
•••
Hi

Great post. :)

Seasons Greetings !
 
0
•••
Zilla said:
4. keep ur portfolio lean...keep a small premium collection is better than own 500 bad name..and easy for you survive in this area, I know some one spend lots of $ to reg a lots of bad name, finally, they lost interesting, their name all dropped, and they never back....domaining become a failure to their life.....

Amen. Very informative and I like this piece.
 
0
•••
If only I saw this post earlier. :bah:

Reps added. :tu:
 
0
•••
Keeping a lean portfolio is definitely good advice. I have found that while my best ROI has come from hand regs I have been able to make more money from buying expensive names, holding them for a few months, and then either trading for better names or selling for a nice profit.
 
0
•••
Agreed. Something that works for me is only regging a new name if I feel it is better than one I already have. Then I always try to cancel auto-renew on an old one when I reg a new one. That keeps my portfolio from growing, and gradually leads to better names.
 
0
•••
DomainEasy: white label portfolios are live. Enable yours.

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back