IT.COM

opinion "K" instead of "ck"

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

redLemon

Established Member
Impact
I'm interested in a specific name for an app I'm writing. The .com name for it is registered since Clinton was in the White House. The owner is asking a lot for it.
The name contains ck. The same name without the c before the k is available. But that's not a dictionary word anymore, though pronunciation will be remain the same.
Someone on Reddit domains said that a domain name is like a joke, if you have to explain it, you lose.
So, I'm unsure about this.
I'm even considering a VIP status on namepros to get professional advice on this project's name.

ANY advice would be awesome.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm interested in a specific name for an app I'm writing. The .com name for it is registered since Clinton was in the White House. The owner is asking a lot for it.
The name contains ck. The same name without the c before the k is available. But that's not a dictionary word anymore, though pronunciation will be remain the same.
Someone on Reddit domains said that a domain name is like a joke, if you have to explain it, you lose.
So, I'm unsure about this.
I'm even considering a VIP status on namepros to get professional advice on this project's name.

ANY advice would be awesome.
My experience in this area goes back 50 years,15 years before the first .com. I did business with a printing company named Kwick Copies. It was interesting they chose to lose the "Qu" and replace it with "Kw". In this instance Peter Guilini God rest his soul could have gone with all sorts of variations like Kwik Copies, Qwik Copies or even Quik Copies. I'm sure there are a lot more variations, but in the .com most of them are hoarded. Good luck(y)

Last edited:
•••
Gold advice. I'm thinking a one syllable pronounceable max 5L .com word.

You see, I have been going through moments of hatred towards this whole name squatting thing. It hurts startups and people who need these names and have use for them. Oh well
If you really like your one-word name I would take the correct spelling in .net / .io / .co – there are even a lot of businesses now using .io as their primary domain when they’re in the tech space.

As to whether the misspelling (in .com) works really comes down to the brand/project. If you don’t mind having a bit of fun with it and don’t take yourself too seriously then the misspelling might be fine, but if you’re a serious sort of guy the misspelling might not work. Think of it maybe whether you wear an open-neck shirt to a meeting vs suit and tie. Will your project be OK with an open-neck shirt sort of presentation (misspelling OK) or does it need a suit and tie (correct spelling only)? Hopefully you understand what I’m getting at though I don’t seem to be doing a great job of explaining it!

If you’re happy with a 5-letter made-up name I would suggest posting a domain request on this site (here). Make sure to explain the sort of project it is so people can hopefully send suitable names. Be prepared to get a whole lot of rubbish, but hopefully you’ll get something you might fall in love with too. If you post a request provide a link from this thread so posters here can join in if they have something suitable.

All the best.

Last edited:
•••
@NicTraders
Much appreciated. I'm an old school fart. I also spent over $70k this project so far. So, I'm going with a real word or a completely made up one.

•••
If you also think of brandability of the name then know this, a brand most of times does not have an explanation it is made with mistakes taken from other words and misspelled, for example i recently created a brand it has no meaning just random letters but it is a perfect brand new name.

Many one dictionary words are not brandables at all they just drive high traffic cause people spell them directly in browser URL area or search the internet and search engines favor more such domain but not always.

•••
So what about big sites where they only own the .com and some other dude owns the .net and another owns .org? I know big brands buy all extensions which makes sense.

•••
For an app or software if .com is taken i would buy .net, .org and even .de also take the dashed in .com if is 2 word, it depends of many factors of the app you are building, i personally plan to build a new browser in future because i know that my browser will be supported by it's users my most important domain will be with .org but i took the .net and .de plus dashed with .com which i will use to redirect to my main .org site, i don't care much for the .com think what is better wikipedia,com or with .org same thing with my case.

Provide more data about your app and as i mention before you can DM me the name, believe me i m not interested in other peoples domains, i just hand reg what so called King's of domains have missed to hand reg. :D
You will see in the coming years what i mean by that!

•••
As the owner of Tick.com, it would of course be highly unwise to go for the suboptimal variation Tik.com, for example.

What next, TikTok.com?!

:)

Last edited:
•••
As the owner of Tick.com, it would of course be highly unwise to go for the suboptimal variation Tik.com, for example.

What next, TikTok.com?!

:)
Hehe :P

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back