Dynadot

opinion "K" instead of "ck"

NameSilo
Watch

redLemon

Established Member
Impact
I'm interested in a specific name for an app I'm writing. The .com name for it is registered since Clinton was in the White House. The owner is asking a lot for it.
The name contains ck. The same name without the c before the k is available. But that's not a dictionary word anymore, though pronunciation will be remain the same.
Someone on Reddit domains said that a domain name is like a joke, if you have to explain it, you lose.
So, I'm unsure about this.
I'm even considering a VIP status on namepros to get professional advice on this project's name.

ANY advice would be awesome.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
To help illustrate, here are some words that end with ck

feedback -> feedbak
comeback -> comebak
payback -> paybak
paycheck -> paychek
drawback -> drawbak
maverick -> maverik
lipstick -> lipstik
fullback -> fullbak

I guess it really depends on the word tbh, some will work a lot better than others.

•••
Or maybe change k to x such like paycheck -> paychex

•••
The example that immediately came to mind for me was TikTok. Ordinarily, the dictionary words are spelled "tick" and "tock."

•••
I'm interested in a specific name for an app I'm writing. The .com name for it is registered since Clinton was in the White House. The owner is asking a lot for it.
The name contains ck. The same name without the c before the k is available. But that's not a dictionary word anymore, though pronunciation will be remain the same.
Someone on Reddit domains said that a domain name is like a joke, if you have to explain it, you lose.
So, I'm unsure about this.
I'm even considering a VIP status on namepros to get professional advice on this project's name.

ANY advice would be awesome.

You can go with other brandable domain name if the domain is not available. I have seen most single word that's has 'ck' in it taken.

Consider buying it perhaps, explain the seller that you have a very limited budget.

Or check other marketplace where you can find an alternative.

•••
•••
Brandable or not, it'll still be a typo, so you'll lose traffic. Maybe not super important if it's *only* an app, but still. Hard to say without knowing a specific name, but examples given by @Peak.Domains don't look too good, maverik is ok, lipstik is so-so, but the rest is meh. So maybe ick -> ik are not that bad (IMO).

•••
I'm uncomfortable giving too much info for now. The word in question contains ck in the middle. Something like "cockroach" or "backbone".
Clearly I need to consult a domain name expert on this before I end up ruining a great project with a bad name. I'm a coder, not a name expert.
Please recommend a trustworthy old-school guru expert on here, and I will seek his opinion privately. Paid consultation of course.

•••
Lol don't pay for branding advice.

The owner will lower his price if you give it time and tell him a hard budget

•••
I assume the word is a software or coding term. It's a very subtle thing, deciding whether or not to go with a brandable word that's missing a letter or two. It needs to be instantly recognizable/understandable as the term you wanted. As an example, it looks to me that Baklinks.com probably later acquired Backlinks.com, and now redirects to that domain. I wouldn't really want the former name for a pet project, but would it harm them to start there?

If the domain without the c is cheap, I'd buy it as a backup, definitely. Or get a suboptimal extension of the correctly-spelled word for now. (From my webmaster coworker, I always gathered that a poorly made site seemed more able to doom itself than the name it's on. But of course, you're naming your app and your site at once. In that case, I'd probably want the correctly-spelled word on a not-com extension.)

Last edited:
•••
@jv,
Could you elaborate on why I shouldn't pay for expert advice?

Solid advice, ultradog.
The owner of the word with c is asking $75,000. He registered hundreds of one word names in the 90s.

•••
I have a domain acryli k.com. It used to get offers years ago.

•••
@jv,
Could you elaborate on why I shouldn't pay for expert advice?

Solid advice, ultradog.
The owner of the word with c is asking $75,000. He registered hundreds of one word names in the 90s.

Because everyone here is skewed into telling you that you need the exact spelling domain.

Why would we not say that lol? That's our bread and butter.

•••

If it's an aged dictionary word dot com, you probably shouldn't count on any discount. The domain will get more expensive over time if anything. If/when you build a successful site on a typo, it will get even more expensive. You might want to include buying it for mid-xxx,xxx down the road in your long-term business plan.

•••
I would either search for a completely different word, or use .net, .biz, or .info version of that word, or a premium new tld domain without premium renewal.

Last edited:
•••
.biz???
.io maybe
The few knowledgeable people I consulted so far put it simply like this:
-go .com or don't go at all.
-If the name is unique and available then .com + all other TLD extensions (.net, .org, .info, .io, .ai etc).

My second alternative which is two real words (4 char each) is not available in .com but I already purchased it in .io, .me, .or, and .co. The owner of the .com accepeted 7k. Still thinking about it.

•••
"Someone on Reddit domains said that a domain name is like a joke, if you have to explain it, you lose."
In my opinion you consider an another domain name that fits your budget. Or try an entirely invented word that may cost less in terms of acquisition. But, may cost more in terms of marketing.

•••
Or try an entirely invented word that may cost less in terms of acquisition. But, may cost more in terms of marketing.

Gold advice. I'm thinking a one syllable pronounceable max 5L .com word.

You see, I have been going through moments of hatred towards this whole name squatting thing. It hurts startups and people who need these names and have use for them. Oh well

•••
You see, I have been going through moments of hatred towards this whole name squatting thing. It hurts startups and people who need these names and have use for them. Oh well

I get you! I'm really mad about the whole land squatting thing, it really hurts my property development projects... And don't even get me started about wealth squatting!

But in all seriousness, it's *good* when the domain you want is owned by a domainer, because then you can just buy it. The alternative is NOT the name being freely available, rather it's the name being taken by someone not interested in selling or maybe even developed. TBH the largest domain squatters are corporations. They hold massive numbers of names with no intention of using them, often leftovers from acquired companies or killed projects - good luck trying to buy one from them...

Last edited:
•••
Tokens - Tockens
Tactics - Tacticks
@redLemon

Last edited:
•••
I do appreciate you taking the time to help me figure this out.

Reading domain-related blogs lead me to believe that it would need to be a real word or a totally made up one. But not in between.

•••
Do what you want with branding over my life i have seen every single rule broken. It used to be the sin of brand bucket to have mispelling. It used to be a sin to have double letters. It used to be a sin to have a plural. If you think another will want it invest in it.

Last edited:
•••
Depends on a name. Again, TikTok is a great example that it can work. Witty misspells similar to Lyft are fine. PM me if you want to share privately the name and get a specific feedback.

•••
.biz???
.io maybe
The few knowledgeable people I consulted so far put it simply like this:
-go .com or don't go at all.
-If the name is unique and available then .com + all other TLD extensions (.net, .org, .info, .io, .ai etc).

My second alternative which is two real words (4 char each) is not available in .com but I already purchased it in .io, .me, .or, and .co. The owner of the .com accepeted 7k. Still thinking about it.

I agree with the "few knowledgeable people you consulted so far" , go .com ... There are quite a few startups that started on a .io or whatever other crappy extension, grew up and realized they leak traffic to the .com so they had to buy it at premium prices... so yeah ... go .com . There is a reason why all smartphones have a .com button ... think about it.

No need to pay $75K to the guy who owns the name you want unless you really want it and have the funds available. You can get a fairly decent short, brandable 4 letter name for about $10k or a nice 5 letter for $2-4K ... just check out the brandable sites ... Brandbucket or SquadHelp.

Whatever route you take just make sure you stick with the .com imo ...

•••
I would go with the K from key, you can DM me the name and i may give you my own advice.
From my personal business experience will tell you something, my services were in demand and i had around 4 crappy names and i was selling my services as hotdog, then after others learned my ways i lost.
As an advice for your future project, don't teach anyone your recipe to success and you will be on top!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back